Would Driver's License Medical Affect How Often You Consult a Doctor?

Other than FAA medical exams, if the bill passes, I would be likely to:

• Consult a doctor about health issues more often.

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Consult a doctor about health issues about as often as I do now.

Votes: 43 56.6%
  • Consult a doctor about health issues less often.

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
Other than aviation medical exams, if the driver's license medical proposal in Congress is enacted, would you be likely to consult a doctor about health issues more often, about the same, or less often? (See below for the text of the bill.)

H.R.3708 -- General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2013 (Introduced in House - IH)

HR 3708 IH

113th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 3708
To direct the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration to issue or revise regulations with respect to the medical certification of certain small aircraft pilots, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

December 11, 2013
Mr. ROKITA (for himself, Mr. GRAVES of Missouri, Mr. FLORES, Mr. PETERSON, Mr. HANNA, and Mr. POMPEO) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To direct the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration to issue or revise regulations with respect to the medical certification of certain small aircraft pilots, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2013'.

SEC. 2. MEDICAL CERTIFICATION OF CERTAIN SMALL AIRCRAFT PILOTS.

(a) In General- Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall issue or revise medical certification regulations to ensure that an individual may operate as pilot in command of a covered aircraft without regard to any medical certification or proof of health requirement otherwise applicable under Federal law if--

(1) the individual possesses a valid State driver's license and complies with any medical requirement associated with that license;

(2) the individual is transporting not more than 5 passengers;

(3) the individual is operating under visual flight rules; and

(4) the relevant flight, including each portion thereof, is not carried out--

(A) for compensation, including that no passenger or property on the flight is being carried for compensation;

(B) at an altitude that is more than 14,000 feet above mean sea level;

(C) outside the United States, unless authorized by the country in which the flight is conducted; or

(D) at a speed exceeding 250 knots.

(b) Covered Aircraft Defined- In this section, the term `covered aircraft' means an aircraft that--

(1) is not authorized under Federal law to carry more than 6 occupants; and

(2) has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6000 pounds.

SEC. 3. REPORT.

Not later than 5 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall submit to Congress a report that describes the impact that the regulations issued or revised under section 2 have had, including statistics with respect to changes in small aircraft activity and safety incidents.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.3708:

Last edited:
Would still visit my primary care on a regular basis . Still want to be in good health. Also would know when to let the medical lapse.

I bet there'd be a lot more visits. Who below the age of 60 without family history is going in for minor chest pain? No pilots. Probably just something you ate...

I do an annual check up every year with my family doc which is twice as often as the useless Class III.

Cheers

No impact for me. If I need to see the doctor, I see the doctor. And update the spreadsheet tracking such visits for the next time I see the AME.

Obviously, I don't expect people to publicly announce that they're not seeing the doctor often as they should. That's why I set the poll up to be anonymous.

I do an annual check up anyway and go when there is a problem. Would continue to do so.

36 people have responded so far. 36.11% of them say that they would be likely to consult a doctor about health issues more often. This is lower than was the case on the red board.

No one has said that they would consult a doctor less often. (Surprisingly, one person on the red board said that.)

I'll post another update in a few days, for comparison with the red board's final results.

Last edited:
Only time I go is when something is wrong. That wouldn't change.

Of the 46 responders so far, 34.78% say they would be likely to consult a doctor about health issues more often, and 65.22% say they would be likely to do so about as often as they do now.

I go once per year for an annual physical and whenever I feel the need to see a doctor, usually a total of two trips per year including the physical.:) I try to schedule my PCP appointment a couple weeks before my 3rd class so I have current information before I see the AME. :D

Not necessarily; However, I hate it that, whenever I seek some kind of medical treatment, no matter how unrelated to flying it might seem, one of the first thoughts in my mind is "How will this affect my medical? Do I need more tests/documentation? Do I need to schedule a trip to Peoria again?"

Of the 46 responders so far, 34.78% say they would be likely to consult a doctor about health issues more often, and 65.22% say they would be likely to do so about as often as they do now.

Which box someone picks is not necessarily what they will actually do, nor do they rarely follow their DRs. advice.

I had a complete physical several years ago, and other than a colonoscopy my DR. said "See ya in 10 years." I'm due in 2 years.

Required to get a physical every two years for work. Makes no difference to me either way. Outside of that, I see the Dr. if I need to.

Which box someone picks is not necessarily what they will actually do...

There are many limitations to a poll like this.

It's certainly true that no one can predict future behavior with certainty, not even our own future behavior. That's why I used the word "likely" in the poll question. However, it also provides insight into PRESENT behavior, namely, that a significant percentage of pilots appear to be either avoiding at least some doctor visits, or avoiding bringing up some of their health concerns when they do go to a doctor, because of concern about how it might affect their next FAA medical certificate application.

Here is an example: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67642

14 replies all say the same thing - do not go to the doctor.

As long as you can pretend that nothing is wrong, you are good to go. Get some help and actually resolve an issue and your medical is toast.

Denial. That's what the FAA wants. I'm surprised they don't mention it in the AIM.

I am healthy right now, but I still think a lot about my medical. Investing as much as a house cost on an aircraft knowing you will take a beating selling it if you lose your medical is a tough decision. The drivers license medical is great, unfortunately doesn't apply to IFR so no use for me.

When I consider the negatives of flying, the medical B.S. is one of the top reasons to give it up.

Given the above, you bet I am reluctant to see a doctor and then I'm afraid to take any prescription until I check the "list".

Last, talk of adding more B.S. like BMI standards is not encouraging.

Last edited:
It wouldn't change a bit for me considering I do it for compensation.

I hate going to the doctor and I've told my doctor that. Every time I talk to her she has the power to take away my job and everything I've ever worked for. I honestly have to say I'm afraid of doctors because of this and don't go unless something is really bothering me.

Getting my medical doesn't have any bearing on when I see a doctor now, so I don't know how NOT going to one would change things. The AME is a regulatory hoop, NOT HEALTHCARE.

Getting my medical doesn't have any bearing on when I see a doctor now, so I don't know how NOT going to one would change things. The AME is a regulatory hoop, NOT HEALTHCARE.

My assumption is that the concern for some pilots is that consulting a doctor could negatively affect their next application for an FAA medical certificate. I didn't think about people substituting AME vists for health care, but I suppose that's another possibility.

It would influence my decision if I was on the fence about whether or not to go in for something. I can't really say more until I'm faced with a specific situation.

It wouldn't change a bit for me considering I do it for compensation.

I hate going to the doctor and I've told my doctor that. Every time I talk to her she has the power to take away my job and everything I've ever worked for. I honestly have to say I'm afraid of doctors because of this and don't go unless something is really bothering me.

Yep...this career can be a real crap shoot sometimes.

Yep...this career can be a real crap shoot sometimes.
I took my medical pretty much for granted until I got the unwelcome surprise of my life last year with an incidental finding on an imaging test. But I'm glad I found out and had it fixed even if it meant I would never fly again, which was a possibility. As it was I had to take about a 6 month medical LOA. Frankly though, I was more interested in being able to live a normal life afterwards than flying. I can probably say that, though, because, even without a medical issue, I'm way closer to the end of my career than the beginning. It would have been a lot harder if I was younger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back