Working Third Shift - Sleeping Strategies

In my neck of the woods where there's honey, there's mead. I know a guy who makes the best mead I have ever had; he has repetitively won the local mead competitions.

Your employer has some really good accountants. I’d expect they know very well.
I need a good accountant.

Actually I need a creative accountant...

You wouldn't like my rates. And you're doing tax strategy, I suspect. Not my forte.
It's not as hard as it looks when you're cash basis. The worst part is dealing with the irs when they lose a page of my return every year. You're right about the not being able to afford you part. There's a reason I'm still muddling along doing this stuff myself.

It's not as hard as it looks when you're cash basis. The worst part is dealing with the irs when they lose a page of my return every year. You're right about the not being able to afford you part. There's a reason I'm still muddling along doing this stuff myself.
I know a good tax lady though. She'd probably be pretty reasonable. Used to have a practice near Chicago and now works out of Tennessee. Tax is all she does.

This book is well worth reading from cover to cover, but Chapter 14 covers shift work, and makes it clear that overcoming the negative effects may not even be possible. It might be a little discouraging to read, but it will be helpful.

Sleep science is a relatively new field of medicine, and Jim Maas was one of its pioneers.

Sleep%20for%20Success%20cover%20sm.jpg

I like honey, but where there’s honey, there’s bees. ugh, bees freak me out. also, nice tonneau cover!
Memorial day had a hive swarm. They were kind enough to find the empty hive next door to swarm to.

Attachments

• IMG_20220530_162303797.jpg
    IMG_20220530_162303797.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 17
Memorial day had a hive swarm. They were kind enough to find the empty hive next door to swarm to.

oh, well that's different, I mean, you got that fence to keep them in.

no sir. nope. no thank youuuuu.

At least I get a 7% premium for working nights. And if they are handing out OT, I'm taking a ton of it. I need to build up my airplane fund again. Time and a half at my rate.....will be nice.
Edit: Can you give me a referral? $$$$
Get a big one so we can put our Navajo/ Aerostar/ seneca/ twin commander in it when you're done.
We?
upload_2022-12-30_8-18-57.png

Oh man. I LOVE honey. So much that I collect (eat) different flavors all the time. I'm currently finishing off an avocado honey. If you need a buyer for some of that, let me know.
Free with pickup at C81. I'm kind of sick of it at this point. Just do it for the property tax break. One of these days I'll make Mead with it, but I've got too many hobbies as is. The stuff from this spring flow crystallized really quickly. Makes it easy to spread

Free with pickup at C81. I'm kind of sick of it at this point. Just do it for the property tax break. One of these days I'll make Mead with it, but I've got too many hobbies as is. The stuff from this spring flow crystallized really quickly. Makes it easy to spread
My plane is still taken apart in Milwaukee. If the honey is still around in a few weeks, I'll be by.

Picture so that I can cry...

IMG_20221205_163653.jpg

Worked nights for 10 years. I found that hotels are ill suited for day sleeping. Housekeeping may skip your room, they won't skip vacuuming the hallway..... Eventually I got myself a small apartment in a building with poured concrete floors. Blacked out the windows and ran a little fan in the room. Did wonders for my sleep. Worked 8p-8a. Had breakfast, went to sleep 9:30 or so. Slept until 5 or 6. Went out running/biking, took a shower and went to work. I wasn't much fun to be around for the two days after a run of nights.

Last edited:
Your wife will not like this, but stay in the hotel, and volunteer to work every night. Much extra money, the body adapts and stays there.

100 mile drives after midnight shift can be deadly, lost a co worker who fell asleep on the way home. He only had a 20 mille drive on good highways.

My strategy would be to find a nice warm corner of the factory where nobody goes.

We had a huge heating unit that we never installed in the facility due to layout changes. The unit sat in the corner of the warehouse for years. Eventually, we got rid of it, but before we did that we inspected it fairly carefully. Someone had a bed in there. No telling how long it had been there.

We had a huge heating unit that we never installed in the facility due to layout changes. The unit sat in the corner of the warehouse for years. Eventually, we got rid of it, but before we did that we inspected it fairly carefully. Someone had a bed in there. No telling how long it had been there.
When I worked on a ship there was, at one point, an electrician who was often hard to find while on duty. One day I entered a seldom-visited electrical room and caught a movement up high out of the corner of my eye.
Didn't investigate then, but later climbed up so I could see the tops of the 8-foot tall equipment cabinets that were there. Yup - there was a mattress. Looked again later and it was gone. Nothing was ever said about it.

Dave

When I worked on a ship there was, at one point, an electrician who was often hard to find while on duty. One day I entered a seldom-visited electrical room and caught a movement up high out of the corner of my eye.
Didn't investigate then, but later climbed up so I could see the tops of the 8-foot tall equipment cabinets that were there. Yup - there was a mattress. Looked again later and it was gone. Nothing was ever said about it.

A long time before the newspeak term 'acting the wage' was invented.

You're screwed - there is no "catching up on sleep" - our bods don't work that way; as I read it you're gonna rotate shifts? Even worse. Best advice I got from a USAF flight surgeon was try to get 6 hours minimum uninterrupted - enough to get through REM sleep and (some) physical recovery. He also said to be careful of naps - 20 minutes, maybe, but longer drops you too deep in. Don't know if he was schooled in this, or just experienced, but it worked for me.

Back