Work, welfare, suicide, & society

Only it doesn't work....$200/night just changes the flavor of the azzwipe...my last stay in Dallas is a prime example - guy decided to have breakfast in the cafe in his pajamas. He refused to be seated in a booth - had to be out in the middle.
True. The most damage we have ever had done to a hotel room was done by a professor emeritus in music who used to do Rolex commercials. Money doesn't weed all the asshats out.

That said, it does a pretty good job of it.

This is actually one of the frustrations we face for running a nice hotel at a fair nightly price. Because we aren't a chain, and don't have to send "x"% back to any home office, our rooms are cheaper than the lowly McHampton Inns. This is actually looked upon with suspicion by some people, who wonder why/how we can provide twice the service, often for (literally!) half the price.

They ASSUME that they are getting twice the room for twice the price -- which means that we must have an inferior product. It's a lot of fun delighting these people.

Mary and I LOVE Sunday mornings, when everyone is checking out and in the lobby raving about their stay. This phenomenon has built a strong and loyal customer base of guests who now know precisely how badly they are ripped off at chain motels.
:)

30K at Taco Bell? Where do fast food restaurants pay that much? Around here it's $8.50 per hour, no full time positions available, and in many cases, a flexible schedule is required, so it's very hard to work a second job.

More likely that Taco Bell employee envies silly things like healthcare and decent food, and particularly some of the security that comes with having some money in the bank and not fearing that a car repair is going to put you behind on the rent.
It's that fear that is supposed to be the motivating force to better your own position.

The only people I know on welfare are single mothers (except a cousin who got blown up in our foreign wars). I know a couple other single mothers who would be on welfare were it not for familial support. Not how I want things, but a young woman can be stuck for a long time with the results of a momentary poor choice. I for one would not ask a woman to give up her child under any circumstances, works too hard against biology. Certainly don't like the thought of punishing children with starvation because of a poor choice by their parents.

The only thing about welfare of which I am utterly certain is that we as a nation spend less on it than our military spends on toilet paper.
Donate generously to the charity of your choice, and /or send a fat check to the IRS every April.

Yep, changing Human nature is the issue. It's been tried before, it's just so easy for people to be lead astray and frightened. Every major religion/social philosophy has taught the same basic lessons, we just never follow them. The 10 commandments are as violated today as the day Moses came off the mount, and every different movement all throughout the ages has had the same set of rules, but somehow there is always the guy that convinces everyone they don't need faith, "you need Gold!"

Whether you read these texts as honest accounts or parables is inconsequential, the outcome is the same, we violate all the rules for a peaceful prosperous society because we lack all faith, and the proof of lack of faith is in the requirement for money.

Here's an interesting experiment you can try Jay. Don't charge for your rooms. Put up a sign, "Welcome, Pay what you like." Show some faith, See how it works out.

Here's an interesting experiment you can try, Henning. Don't charge for your 310D. Put up a sign, "For Sale, Pay what you like." Show some faith, See how it works out.

Here's an interesting experiment you can try, Henning. Don't charge for your 310D. Put up a sign, "For Sale, Pay what you like." Show some faith, See how it works out.

It's no longer mine, I got $70k for it.

Sorry it wasn't quite what you wanted for it, though a cheque for 70 grand ain't all bad.

Some days good karma pays. If someone wants her, they'll be able to fix it and still have a good deal. I would want to hang the new CD-330s on it.:yes:

Some days good karma pays. If someone wants her, they'll be able to fix it and still have a good deal. I would want to hang the new CD-330s on it.:yes:

CD-330s?

Whoever ends up with it got some nice avionics....

Would there EVER be an STC for that?

Sure, for anyone that developers it. You can also just stay in EX/R&D like the Twin Commander with the Orenda engines as long as you are good with no commercial. Since the engine itself is certified the guy told me he had no operating restrictions and he's been running that sucker that way a couple decades now.

Sure, for anyone that developers it. You can also just stay in EX/R&D like the Twin Commander with the Orenda engines as long as you are good with no commercial. Since the engine itself is certified the guy told me he had no operating restrictions and he's been running that sucker that way a couple decades now.

Word on the street is FSDOs caught on to that and rarely allow the change to Ex/R&D anymore. Your mileage may vary.

Word on the street is FSDOs caught on to that and rarely allow the change to Ex/R&D anymore. Your mileage may vary.

I talked to them not long ago about doing it for an STC development, they didn't seem to have a problem. It's there for a real reason.

Do what you love for a living and that solves most of it.

As for chopping me up and feeding me to the drooling masses. F' em

I worked a non-profit for a while, helped teach folks some computer skills to help get them jobs, the majority of folks on "programs" were about as useless and a pork pie in a synagogue. The best students I had were retired folks who just wanted to learn a new skill.

I'd like it to be a opt in kinda thing, you like the "programs" or think you might need them you pay for them, I'll just opt out of the whole thing and keep MY money and use it to take care of my own.

Do what you love for a living and that solves most of it.

As for chopping me up and feeding me to the drooling masses. F' em

I worked a non-profit for a while, helped teach folks some computer skills to help get them jobs, the majority of folks on "programs" were about as useless and a pork pie in a synagogue. The best students I had were retired folks who just wanted to learn a new skill.

I'd like it to be a opt in kinda thing, you them "programs" or think you might need them you pay for them, I'll just opt out of the whole thing and keep MY money and use it to take care of my own.

Right! Now, question is, what do you do with those people? "Make em get a job!" Really? Why do you want to inflict that kind of damage on an employer?

Seriously, what do you do with them? Do you let them exist in poverty with the negative consequences that produces across society? Do you sequester them into ghettos, keep them fed, watered, and 'over there'? Do you export them to all the countries that supply the immigrants here? Do you make them into rolls of pet food? These people will never be anything but an economic drain on society. Same with mentally and physically damaged people, no economic sense to keep them around.

What do we do with all those people?

Right! Now, question is, what do you do with those people? "Make em get a job!" Really? Why do you want to inflict that kind of damage on an employer?

Seriously, what do you do with them? Do you let them exist in poverty with the negative consequences that produces across society? Do you sequester them into ghettos, keep them fed, watered, and 'over there'? Do you export them to all the countries that supply the immigrants here? Do you make them into rolls of pet food? These people will never be anything but an economic drain on society. Same with mentally and physically damaged people, no economic sense to keep them around.

What do we do with all those people?

Hunger is a great motivator.

I whole heartily agree with Mr. Franklin on not helping in folks poverty.

“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”

As someone on this board so eloquently put it, not all the baby turtles makes it to the ocean.

Hunger is a great motivator.

I whole heartily agree with Mr. Franklin on not helping in folks poverty.

As someone on this board so eloquently put it, not all the baby turtles makes it to the ocean.

Hunger is a great motivator? So...Let them eat cake? That doesn't actually work, and Franklin might have changed his mind around the time French nobility were being beheaded.

Not all baby turtles make it to the ocean, but baby humans pick up guns and knives and take your **** and your lives. It's a great and macho attitude, a rugged individualist and all, survival of the fittest. The problem is, it forces you to be in the battle royal free for all competing for all or nothing.

Hunger is a great motivator? So...Let them eat cake? That doesn't actually work, and Franklin might have changed his mind around the time French nobility were being beheaded.

Not all baby turtles make it to the ocean, but baby humans pick up guns and knives and take your **** and your lives. It's a great and macho attitude, a rugged individualist and all, survival of the fittest. The problem is, it forces you to be in the battle royal free for all competing for all or nothing.

Pride, determination and responsibility will always prevail over being a "entitled victim".

Our situation is also no where near what was going on in France.

This is also why we have the right to bear arms and defend ourselves, much like MAD and Russia, a attack is not likely when it could very well prove your end.

Just look at the crime rates in states that welcome entitlements and frown apon self defense and the 2nd (al la CA and NY and Chicago etc)

Last edited:
Most people who can't pull their chit together lack the determination to execute a raid or formidable attack. Bring back the constitution in its full glory and things will work out.

I lived overseas for a while, though it was a third world country without all the "entitlements" we have, poor folks actually made stuff to sell on the side of the street, or got jobs. We had less crime then NY or CA. People found it's not a very attractive alternate to rob people when you know it's likely going to result in at best a azz kicking and at worst your much needed death. Cops had no pity for knuckleheads.

Pride, determination and responsibility will always prevail over being a "entitled victim".

It's not a very attractive alternative to rob someone who has nothing. I agree though, most people will try, 80% want to be productive, support themselves and contribute to society. They are not the problem. The other 20% who just want to get high, watch TV and deal drugs to the people who want to get high and work. The problem is their business is illegal so we have the whole law enforcement aspect we pay for and now we compete at everyone's expense. Let the Baby Daddy out of jail for dealing weed or coke and maybe baby mama and baby wouldn't be on welfare.

The question you have to ask is what are we doing wrong as a society that has us here? The biggest is 'The War on Drugs.' Because it is a declared war on the citizens of the US, why do you think the police got militarized? What do you think paid for all that militarization!?

Why do we do these things? Why do we condemn ourselves to living like this? Why do we not progress at anything except pure science?

These are the questions that lead to solutions, and solutions are what we need. Will they be permanent solutions? No, nothing is permanent in nature. There will always be more problems no matter what. What matters is what you do here and now to make things better rather than worse.

To make things better, you have to understand why things got bad, and you have to be honest even if it points an ugly finger back at oneself. One has to accept that one has been wrong in the past and make an effort to correct themselves in the future. You cannot go wrong by acting compassionately, even if it kills you.

I go more towards the libertarian route

Also I doubt the lazy video game playing don't want a job types are DEALING drugs, using yeah, but not dealing.

That's probably more work and hazard then just getting a normal 9-5 job.

I go more towards the libertarian route

Also I doubt the lazy video game playing don't want a job types are DEALING drugs, using yeah, but not dealing.

That's probably more work and hazard then just getting a normal 9-5 job.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Every drug user deals to support their use if they don't have a job.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Every drug user deals to support their use if they don't have a job.

There is selling some to some friends to pay for your stuff and there is dealing

There is selling some to some friends to pay for your stuff and there is dealing

Please inform the police of the difference, they don't seem to care when they are taking people to jail.

The thing is, they don't need much more, toss in some munches, shelter, and a PS3 and these people do no harm. They do not riot, they do not loot, they don't need. This is WAY cheaper than what we spend on the War on Drugs and incarcerating these same people, not to mention you don't create a criminal class and alienate them. They are the Omegas of society. They move a quarter to half pound a week and they make a decent living.

Last edited:
Please inform the police of the difference, they don't seem to care when they are taking people to jail.

The thing is, they don't need much more, toss in some munches, shelter, and a PS3 and these people do no harm. They do not riot, they do not loot, they don't need. This is WAY cheaper than what we spend on the War on Drugs and incarcerating these same people, not to mention you don't create a criminal class and alienate them. They are the Omegas of society. They move a quarter to half pound a week and they make a decent living.

You're preaching' to the choir there Ron, I say legalize all of it, biggest problem with making it legal is the govt would tax it and squander even more money.

Not like there is any good reason to keep it illegal, god knows druggies still get what their fix regardless.

What is unrestrained capitalism...if you mean free markets, then you'd be wrong. The freer the market, the more robust the economic activity.

Totally wrong. Stop watching business broadcasts.

Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, et. al. don't keep their money in a mason jar buried in the backyard. Their money is invested in equities, in bonds, CD's, and other vehicles which plow the money right back into the economy.

Also untrue. The people that put most of the money into circulation are the people that are living paycheck to paycheck.
The rich are sitting on their money, you can only buy so many mansions, boats, airplanes and mistresses.

Also untrue. The people that put most of the money into circulation are the people that are living paycheck to paycheck.
The rich are sitting on their money, you can only buy so many mansions, boats, airplanes and mistresses.

Everyone who says this acts like it's a closed system. So they sit on it, big deal. Is there still money to be made from billions of others? Yes.

Make something the masses want, the rich don't matter. My co-worker shot a video of a cat that apparently over 11 million people wanted to watch. He's getting a check from YouTube/Google this month, bigger than his monthly salary.

If by "sitting on it" you mean it's in an investment, held by a bank, who uses that money to lend to you to buy your next plane, then I agree with you.

And that's a good thing.

Nobody puts $100 bills in a pillowcase. The government makes sure we have enough inflation to discourage such behavior.

If by "sitting on it" you mean it's in an investment, held by a bank, who uses that money to lend to you to buy your next plane, then I agree with you.

And that's a good thing.

Nobody puts $100 bills in a pillowcase. The government makes sure we have enough inflation to discourage such behavior.

$100 in pillow cases is peanuts to our economy, it's the gold hoarding that has everything so slow, and it looks like that will collapse.

$100 in pillow cases is peanuts to our economy, it's the gold hoarding that has everything so slow, and it looks like that will collapse.
That was a figure of speech. lol

I'm still trying to figure out why we have so little inflation, despite printing scads of funny money. The real economy must be incredibly weak, or prices would be skyrocketing.

I'm still trying to figure out why we have so little inflation, despite printing scads of funny money. The real economy must be incredibly weak, or prices would be skyrocketing.

The economy isn't weak, it's dead. We actually do have inflation, it just has atypical symptoms, partially from hiding the cost of living items from the inflation index. Even the inflation index items which show little to no inflation are misleading because while the prices haven't risen, the buying power of the average citizen has decreased with the increase in energy, food, and housing costs.

Good question! Some possible answers:

http://www.gailfosler.com/why-quantitative-easing-is-not-printing-money-and-why-it-matters

http://azizonomics.com/2011/08/15/why-qe-didnt-cause-hyperinflation-2/

http://pragcap.com/why-didnt-qe-cause-high-inflation

Can't say I'd agree the 'real" economy is incredibly weak. Of course, one could subscribe to ShadowStats and have a different opinion.:D

Gary

Here's an interesting experiment you can try Jay. Don't charge for your rooms. Put up a sign, "Welcome, Pay what you like." Show some faith, See how it works out.

That is interesting. My wife and I dream about owning a couple of rentals in the Bahamas. Actually, we should be breaking ground on the first on in the next couple of months.

Anyway, I think we should offer concierge services for free. Want to go bonefishing? Cool, let me get the boat and supplies. Want a driving tour of the island? Perfect, let me get the keys. Take a day sailing? Awesome, the boat is this way. Need a chef for the week? Here is the menu, pick what you like.

I suggest that we provide all of these services for free and also provide a price list of what it would cost if they hired the services out. At the end of the week, tip me or not...your choice. My wife thinks I am nuts and will be working for free. I say, who cares, I am living in the Bahamas!

So what's Cubas excuse? They have had a total of 0 wars and yet the island has no economy and is falling apart.
They all get food, housing, free medical and education through a collegiate doctorate. It is the US trade embargo that is screwing the people of Cuba, not their policies.

Jay hasn't been to the grocery store lately. :no: :yikes:

Jay hasn't been to the grocery store lately. :no: :yikes:

Oh, I know the real inflation rate is more like 10% than the ridiculous 2% estimate the idjits in D.C. are reporting.

Still, you would expect more like 25%, or even hyperinflation, given the amount of phony money Bush and Obama have printed. The fact that this hasn't happened is probably more alarming than any other economic indicator, perversely enough.

They all get food, housing, free medical and education through a collegiate doctorate. It is the US trade embargo that is screwing the people of Cuba, not their policies.

Yep, Communism failed because we waged war on it to protect our markets and profits. We ate the economy required for it to work. Yay us.

Back