Work Clothes

What do you wear to work?

• Business Formal (Shirt, tie, jacket for men; skirt suits, pantsuits for women)

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Business Casual (pressed skirt / slacks and button down shirt)

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Casual (jeans, t-shirts, etc)

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • Birthday Suit

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
Ok, who wears what to work? The "Guys Rules" thread made me want to ask this.

I'm shirt + tie + slacks ("buisness formal minus jacket") 4 days a week, and some Fridays are khakis, others are jeans and button down. I just moved from "khakis and button down" to "shirt and tie" 5 months ago, after a double-step promotion.

I realize, on the way to work (in traffic), I am the exception, not the rule. Lots of business casual types, very few business formal types. Crikes, I was in a meeting today and someone was wearing a Bud Light turtle neck! Talk about the "entire spectrum" =)

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Ok, who wears what to work?
Scrubs, white lab jacket, and stethoscope. It's so much easier that way; don't have to think about it too much.
:)

Jeans and a golf shirt. Unless Im headed to a customer's, then it's khakis.

I'm not in marketing, so if I wore a coat and tie to work everyone would think I was heading out for a job interview. Wore one my first day at Intel a touch over 10 years ago and they haven't seen me in one since. Wore one my first day at my previous employer (in 1983) and they saw me in one once more - when we all wore them to scare the boss.

I love engineering...

astanley said:
Ok, who wears what to work?

Business cas Mon-Thur, jeans and whatever Friday, unless customers are visiting.

This started my day with a smile. I am sitting in my "office" drinking coffee. Am not quite "business" but definitely casual.

Tie? What's a tie?

Greg
182RG

winter - slacks and a blouse or sweater (not crew neck etc type, something stylish). sometimes a suit, sometimes a dress, depends. summer - mostly dresses. I actually prefer dresses in general but winter is too damn cold.

Generally business casual or Jeans with a nice polo - no T-shirts unless I'm doing a weekend install or something. Depends on the client. A very few require tie and jacket, thankfully, for IT people. :)

shorts and t-shirt about 80 percent of the time. in January and February I'll wear jeans. Only rarely do I wear shoes.

Working out of the house has its challenges, but wardrobe is definitely one of the perks.

If I'm meeting with client or doing a marketing presentation I wear a suit. Every day to work is business casual. I use to have to wear a suit everyday back in the 80's and 90's, spent way to much money at Jos. A. Bank's, but most companies are BC now.

Court = suit. Office day or district justice visit = sport coat and slacks. Prison to visit a client = anything decent goes.

Many soiled suit pants knees from lunch time preflights during training ;)

Jim G

Carol said:
This started my day with a smile. I am sitting in my "office" drinking coffee. Am not quite "business" but definitely casual.

Me too. Retirees have quite a bit of latitude in office attire. Right now I'm in jeans, T-shirt and deck shoes.

Jim

Sometimes i wear this.............
Fortunately not too often.
Estonian Railways.

Minus 26 Degrees C.:eek:
Shorts/T shirt in the office (summer).

Last edited:
Business Casual every day all year except when meeting with folks from outside the office. I've got a tie in the closet for that.

-Skip

Boss assigned uniform. Keeps my my poor taste for coordinating clothes hidden :)

Tim

Suit when I have court or important meetings; business casual most of the rest of the time; sometimes (especially if I have a jobsite visit- I represent mostly trade contractors) jeans, boots, etc. Always with a starched shirt.

Keith Lane said:
Sometimes i wear this.............
Fortunately not too often.
Estonian Railways.

Minus 26 Degrees C.:eek:
Shorts/T shirt in the office (summer).

Wow, that's cold! Where in the world is that? You don't look very happy in the picture. ;)

Diana said:
Wow, that's cold! Where in the world is that? You don't look very happy in the picture. ;)

Estonia is a "Baltic State" and part of the former USSR. The capitol, where we always go is about 90NM South of Helsinki, Finland. On this trip is got daylight around 0930 and was dark around 430 PM. That trip was the first time I ever saw a frozen ocean, or an icebreaker for that matter. Here's another picture where there was sort of an "icy fog". reminded me of the cold scenes from "Doctor Zhivago".
I was there last August for 16 days and the weather was fantastic. ~~ mid 70's and sunny everyday. Of all the places i have to spend time away from home it's my favorite.
kl

We get to wear just about anything we want, except for no open toed shoes and no sleeveless shirts. I usually wear jeans. And since they keep the temp in dispatch in the refrigerator zone, I ALWAYS bring a jacket, sweater or something to keep me warm. Sucks when its about 66F in the comm center and then you step outside and its 100F. Makes you get an instant headache and nausea.

Don't work so I guess we wear what ever we choose lol. TT

astanley said:

I'm shirt + tie + slacks ("buisness formal minus jacket") 4 days a week, and some Fridays are khakis, others are jeans and button down. I just moved from "khakis and button down" to "shirt and tie" 5 months ago, after a double-step promotion.

I realize, on the way to work (in traffic), I am the exception, not the rule. Lots of business casual types, very few business formal types. Crikes, I was in a meeting today and someone was wearing a Bud Light turtle neck! Talk about the "entire spectrum" =)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Typical is shorts t-shirt or Polo-type and flip flops, some days the full monkey suit w/ black pants white shirt, shoulder boards & double breasted jacket & somedays just the birthday suit.

ggroves said:
Tie? What's a tie?

It's that thing they put around your neck just before they whack the horse you're sitting on in the butt while your hands are tied behind your back. I never understood the wisdom of starting your day by putting a noose around your neck and cinching it tight. Kinda says something that's just not right...

For me in a very casual office, it's presentable jeans, tennis shoes, polo type shirt(summer), nice LLBean cloth chamois shirts(winter).

I'm a design engineer working for a supplier to the Auto Industry here in Michigan. There seems that the dress standard for male engineers in this industry is Dockers, Polo shirt and about two days growth of facial hair.

I never could understand the facial hair thing.

Jean :rolleyes:

Charter = Penguin suit. Airline support (running parts for our airline) = what ever we show up in. Off days, I am in cargo shorts and a polo shirt.

Brent

Carol said:

So you chose the last one? (birthday suit)

;-)

RogerT said:
So you chose the last one? (birthday suit)

;-)

No, I'm not the one who clicked that. :)

astanley said:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Casual, then followed by monkey tie if needed (even wore one onest for flying ! Plus have gold bars, but use only for Third World) If that's not enough then a lab coat and steth. More than that for work, and somebody's probably gonna get shot, or worse.

Only three of us wear ties?

Wow, I don't know why, but that surprises me. Anthony, didn't you wear a tie? I swear that you did, after seeing your picture as a "proud new owner" of your Tiger...

This may sound strange, but I like wearing a tie. It adds some color and vibrance, frankly.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Only three of us wear ties?
The ancient Croations began wearing brightly colored cloth around their neck as they went to battle to ward off evil. Their enemies found the bright cloth to be a great target for their swords. The cloth became the cravat which evolved into the modern day neck tie. This piece of men's clothing accessory is rooted in evil and a throwback to shamanism and spiritual mysticism and should be avoided at all costs.

"The first time I put on a tie, I stood in front of the mirror for 20 minutes without moving. I thought I was tied up and would strangle myself if I tried to escape."

:rofl:

gkainz said:
This piece of men's clothing accessory is rooted in evil and a throwback to shamanism and spiritual mysticism and should be avoided at all costs.

Greg,

If we never agree on anything else, we're brothers in arms in the fight against stupid neckwear! Evil, evil EVIL!!!!

Chip

gibbons said:
Greg,

If we never agree on anything else, we're brothers in arms in the fight against stupid neckwear! Evil, evil EVIL!!!!

Chip

Yes Evil, but worth 20-30$K per year average.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Yes Evil, but worth 20-30$K per year average.
Do you mean increase in salary? I doubled my income when I pitched all my ties into a box, taped it shut and put it on the top shelf of my closet.

When I went into business for myself 3+ years ago, the choice to wear what I want was one big plus. Other than for trade shows, I haven't worn a tie yet. Normally polo shirt and jeans.
(The ability to buy and use a plane was an even bigger +...but that's another thread!)

Ok ok I'm the "birthday suit" guy :rofl: (under my clothes).

Actually the two companies and the military for 4 years previous to that have suppiled me with uniforms. I work mainly on advanced automotive engine components.

Uniforms are good :yes:, saves on money and really save on decision making in the dark every morning.

Dave

Grunt in a software company standard...almost anything goes depending on your department. Me: Jeans, shirt, geek glasses (baseball cap optional). Dressing up for the occasional dog and pony show is wearing a T-shirt or polo shirt with the company logo.

Terry

After 16 years of Catholic schooling I swore I'd never take a job where I had to wear a tie again....I wear a tie. But they're from the Jerry Garcia collection. :cool:

Sigh. It all depends if I am in court or meeting with clients its the Suit route, tie and all if its just me sorting through the mounds of paper on my dest its kahkis and a polo or sweater in winter. Its rare that not a week goes by that I don't have at least one suit day. Its my firm so I can do what I want ( after I pay everone else of course) but the client's seem to want their attorney to look the part at least in my area of practice.

Adam Zucker :blueplane:

gkainz said:
Do you mean increase in salary? I doubled my income when I pitched all my ties into a box, taped it shut and put it on the top shelf of my closet.

Outstanding !

Hey wait a minute...
that should mean if I put mine BACK in storage taped into a box, then after awhile bring them back out again and continue the cycle, I should soon be a billionaire. Sweet.

Back