Women's Air Race Classic begins Tuesday

FlyingElvii

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
flyingElvii
The Air Race Classic begins tomorrow in Frederick, Maryland, with stops/checkpoints throughout the Midwest, and ending in Santa Fe.

This a neat Race with 57 teams from all over the country, flying everything from a Sundowner, to Cirrii, to Mooney's covering 2600+ miles. This year, they will have live tracking maps on the ARC Website, and LiveATC communications coverage.
http://www.airraceclassic.org/#ATHS

The forecast winds for Tuesday could make the first two legs "Interesting". I'll be at Indianapolis Regional MQJ watching the action. First arrivals are expected around 11am to noon.

Just found out that they're apparently using my site for the sectional overlay on the tracking map. I found this after I cleared the cache for this 28 day FAA cycle update. Oh well, a few people will have a broken/slow experience while the cache reloads.

I have a friend ,who has done the race twice,can listen to her for hours about the experience.

Tough day with the winds. A bunch of planes stayed in Indy overnight. Four made it all of the way to the Spencer Iowa checkpoint before dark.

Hoping to see some of them in Santa Fe on Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can understand separating events like the 100m sprint by sex, but what makes it necessary in flying?

Because female representation in aviation has historical been very, very low. This helps to increase the visibility that there ARE women in aviation, and will hopefully encourage more women/girls to enter the aviation field.

Is this the modern version of the "powder puff derby" that was flown in the early fifties?

Because female representation in aviation has historical been very, very low. This helps to increase the visibility that there ARE women in aviation, and will hopefully encourage more women/girls to enter the aviation field.

I hope to take my young daughter to a checkpoint next year to see all the women get into the airplanes. It will hopefully be very inspiring.

Embedded into the above statement are assumptions that 1) there aren't already enough women in aviation, and 2) attracting even more women into aviation is good for either women or aviation. I'm not saying that these are necessarily false, but one can become better enlightened or, as they say nowadays, "redpilled", by examining the assumptions (one of them came very close to being articulated!).

Embedded into the above statement are assumptions that 1) there aren't already enough women in aviation, and 2) attracting even more women into aviation is good for either women or aviation. I'm not saying that these are necessarily false, but one can become better enlightened or, as they say nowadays, "redpilled", by examining the assumptions (one of them came very close to being articulated!).

Women make up approximately 50% of the population, yet they only make up a little less than 7% of the registered pilots in the United States. They make up less than 5% of the current holders of ATP license. There are numerous reasons why and events like this and organizations like WAI are doing their parts to address some of these.

I cannot imagine for the life of me why attracting more women to aviation would not be good for aviation or women. That statement smacks of overt sexism.

Women make up approximately 50% of the population, yet they only make up a little less than 7% of the registered pilots in the United States. They make up less than 5% of the current holders of ATP license. There are numerous reasons why and events like this and organizations like WAI are doing their parts to address some of these.

I cannot imagine for the life of me why attracting more women to aviation would not be good for aviation or women. That statement smacks of overt sexism.

upload_2017-6-27_19-50-4.png
(*credit Business Insider Feb 17, 2015)

Where's the outrage? :rolleyes:

I could tell you the dynamics of why women don't favor flying or employment in such occupation as a gender collective, but it would trigger the hell out of the lurking white knights om here, so I'll refrain from it. The day I see the uprising and umbrage about "right-sizing" the top three bars on that graph, is the day I'll give a %ht about female participation rate in professional aviation. There's no conspiracy here.

As to WAI? LOL. WAI is manufacturing a narrative that doesn't exist. They sure love taking those thousands of dollars in almost 100% male attendance fees though. An event that's more akin to a male white collar soup kitchen breadline than a women's-in-ANYTHING event. There's more sausage at a WAI event than a Jimmy Dean plant. Hypocrisy run amok.

Are any of our regulars here flying in it?

View attachment 54506
(*credit Business Insider Feb 17, 2015)

Where's the outrage? :rolleyes:

I could tell you the dynamics of why women don't favor flying or employment in such occupation as a gender collective, but it would trigger the hell out of the lurking white knights om here, so I'll refrain from it. The day I see the uprising and umbrage about "right-sizing" the top three bars on that graph, is the day I'll give a %ht about female participation rate in professional aviation. There's no conspiracy here.

As to WAI? LOL. WAI is manufacturing a narrative that doesn't exist. They sure love taking those thousands of dollars in almost 100% male attendance fees though. An event that's more akin to a male white collar soup kitchen breadline than a women's-in-ANYTHING event. There's more sausage at a WAI event than a Jimmy Dean plant. Hypocrisy run amok.
Apples and oranges. I agree there's no "conspiracy" per se, but there's a huge cultural block for women to pursue any profession that is traditionally/historically male. Are there statistical anomalies? Of course, and when it happens, it's a big deal. It's a soft news item (filler) when a man graduates as a nurse, or the first female member of the Tbirds. Because it's out of the ordinary, and still doesn't indicate a commonplace occurence.

I've never been to a WAI conference but let's talk about the professions listed. Every single one of the "professional" categories above are considerd "soft". What are the numbers for engineers, doctors, lawyers, etc?

Back