Withholding aircraft after maintenance

I had a situation where a company got into the company I was running at the time for about $60k, they were about 6 months behind on this bill and I was responsible for letting get that far (long story). We were holding about $500k of inventory they supplied us to make our assemblies. At their next order their inventory went missing, we couldn't find it. They got ****ed, told me I was holding their inventory hostage, these items had about a 6 month delivery. I assured them I would never do that and that we had just misplaced it, I was sure it was safe, but I really didn't feel inclined to look for it until they settled their account. It took them about 2 weeks to realize I was serious and their parts still hadn't shown up. Finally they settled the bill and asked when their order would be filled, I told them they were COD, which they paid. Then they asked for their parts, which we had found and gladly gave to them.

I left the company about a month later, one of the guys at the company I left, I guess didn't like me, ranted about how I had cost this account, which was probably worth about $100k a year but had huge potential (roll eyes), they refused to buy from us again. About six months later this customer declared bankruptcy and screwed people out of millions of dollars. I chuckled about the ranting guy and felt bad for the people who got screwed.

My point, holding stuff works to get paid, there are people who are masters at screwing others out of payment for services supplied, and generally there is not much you can do about it.

A mechanics lien does not allow you to withhold property that doesn't belong to you.
Some states have possessory mechanics liens that require the mechanic to maintain possession or they lose the lien. Surrendering possession waives the lien.

Of course, a mechanic can always choose to let the property go and chase the owner around trying to collect, but North Carolina also has a possessory lien law.

It depends on circumstances. I know of a mechanic who refused to give owners their logbooks....claimed they owed him money. CLT FSDO told mechanic to release logbooks to owners and take legal action if he felt necessary.

It depends on circumstances. I know of a mechanic who refused to give owners their logbooks....claimed they owed him money. CLT FSDO told mechanic to release logbooks to owners and take legal action if he felt necessary.
I have my logs digitized. No need to give them anything but a link to the images. No need to worry about this. I don’t give my logbooks ever after my prop guy lost my logbook for 3 weeks and then dropped off some other guys logs to me and now I felt obligated to make sure they got them back. What a hassle.

they can do AD and other research just fine with the digital versions. Easier even because I Even transcribed them so they are searchable. Give me a sticker when you’re done.

I know of a mechanic who refused to give owners their logbooks....claimed they owed him money.

I don’t give my logbooks ever after my prop guy lost my logbook for 3 weeks and then dropped off some other guys logs to me and now I felt obligated to make sure they got them back.

Because we've all seen Airplane Repo and the logs constitute half the value of the plane. :)

Because we've all seen Airplane Repo and the logs constitute half the value of the plane. :)
The logs certainly have a great deal of value both for resale and for knowing the history of your plane. There is also the additional cost of the annual if a A&P has to physically verify past ADs have been done.

The logs certainly have a great deal of value both for resale and for knowing the history of your plane. There is also the additional cost of the annual if a A&P has to physically verify past ADs have been done.
Airworthiness requires a A&P-IA insure all ADs to be complied annually anyway. So why worry about old logs, there are is no requirement to to keep them over 2 years. older than they can be thrown away legally

As I mentioned earlier, state mechanic lien law is complicated. If he released the airplane, I'm not sure what claim he had on the logbooks under state law. I'm not aware of a mechanics lien on paperwork alone.

Airworthiness requires a A&P-IA insure all ADs to be complied annually anyway. So why worry about old logs, there are is no requirement to to keep them over 2 years. older than they can be thrown away legally
So you wouldn't deduct the value of an airplane which only has the last two years of logbooks?

So you wouldn't deduct the value of an airplane which only has the last two years of logbooks?
Material condition is the primary condition.
we can always fix the paperwork

Are you going to open up an engine to verify the oil pump AD was complied with if you have another IA signed off In the logs saying it was done?

Are you going to open up an engine to verify the oil pump AD was complied with if you have another IA signed off In the logs saying it was done?
how much part 39 paper is already complied ? Is it verifiable,

Beyond Tom’s point and stating the obvious, having logs since birth does help resale value.

I know of a mechanic who refused to give owners their logbooks.
To follow on from above, I've never seen where the logbooks were covered under lien laws. I was always instructed by the FAA and legal side to return the logbooks if requested but could retain possession of the aircraft and I was covered.

In my experience, the value can depend on the model aircraft, current condition, etc. While I personally consider complete logs since birth as important, I doubt you'll find a single Stearman with complete logs, or other similar antique aircraft. Have also seen a completely rebuilt Super Cub come out with sporadic past records but got top dollar as it was top notch rebuild. However, I would expect your run-of-the-mill 172 that's spent it's life in GA to have complete records. Same as on the turbine side or business class level and above due to the mx/tracking requirements.

Back