Wisconsin Invaded by the Japs!

The Tora Tora Tora group was at Tarkio, MO and set off a huge display getting tuned up for OSH. Always fun to see stuff blow up.

Neither did I. I had always thought that Harvard was just what the Brits called them but that they were still built in the USA.
One of the problems with Harvards (and likely why they used them for many of the Tora planes) is that because they were not US built, they are all Experimentals unlike T-6/SNJs. You can sell rides in a T-6, but not a Harvard, even though it is essentially the same plane.

One of the problems with Harvards (and likely why they used them for many of the Tora planes) is that because they were not US built, they are all Experimentals unlike T-6/SNJs. You can sell rides in a T-6, but not a Harvard, even though it is essentially the same plane.

Are you sure about that? I flew in a friends Harvard and didn't notice any "experimental" sign or placard in or on the plane. He's an ex-United captain and retired KC-135 pilot, so not a careless guy.

What would make a foreign-built aircraft be an experimental?

Are you sure about that? I flew in a friends Harvard and didn't notice any "experimental" sign or placard in or on the plane. He's an ex-United captain and retired KC-135 pilot, so not a careless guy.

What would make a foreign-built aircraft be an experimental?
That is what I've been told by all the T-6 guys I know (which is quite a few) when I was looking for one to buy.

I can't say for certain it isn't possible, but it could be that the paperwork and conformity drills that you would have to go through to get it certified in the US aren't worth it for most folks.

You can't just bring a non-US registered airplane from another country and register it in the US without a lot of work with the FSDO.

That is what I've been told by all the T-6 guys I know (which is quite a few) when I was looking for one to buy.

I can't say for certain it isn't possible, but it could be that the paperwork and conformity drills that you would have to go through to get it certified in the US aren't worth it for most folks.

You can't just bring a non-US registered airplane from another country and register it in the US without a lot of work with the FSDO.

Interesting.
I'll see him at OSH and I'll ask him. He's flying a few formation flights for the air shows.

Interesting.
I'll see him at OSH and I'll ask him. He's flying a few formation flights for the air shows.
If you do hear something differ, I'd be interested to know. You can usually pick up a Harvard for less than a NAA model.

Back