Wireless cameras

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
Since pilots know everything I'm asking...

I'm interested in getting a couple of wifi cameras for the purpose of pointing them at a horse pasture so my wife can check on the horses while away from home. So obviously I need outdoor camera(s), software that supports remote viewing preferably via smartphone, and cameras that have a decent viewing range.

Not so much worried about night vision or motion detection- we know there are going to be things moving there are supposed to be live horses. Some ability to look back an hour or two in case they walk out of range(there are some areas that just can't be covered) would be nice. I suppose I could try to put some farther into the pasture that are solar powered but that seems like it might be excessive...

I have Arlo Pro 2 cameras watching various parts of my land. They’re powered with an extra solar panel that you can purchase. The max range so far is about 300’ LOS from the base station. However, my garage camera is shows a weak signal due to the numerous walls.

So far I’ve been happy. The video is 1080p and night images show up quite well for a wireless camera.

Concur on the https://www.wyze.com. There are lots of choices for dirt simple WIFI cams. Most of them cost more than $100 for the hardware and North of $50/year to make it work. And then there's Wyze. They are dirt simple to setup and use and they look great. But the kicker is the cost of ownership. Camera costs you $25. Add $10-$15 for memory card and another $10-$20 for an outdoor housing and you're done spending money on it.

I warn you though. They're addictive. I started with two. I think we're over 14 cameras now. :oops:

I had a couple of the now-archaic panasonic wifi/outdoor/steerable web cams. Kept them active on my building site. Worked great.

I might have to just buy something and try it. I see a lot of possibilities on amazon but they say little about the software, I want one of the slick ones you can just set up with an online account and view anywhere via smartphone. While I have the technical skill to build my own web portal and write scripts or whatever it takes to FTP the current image somewhere or whatever I'd rather not...

One possibility I also had though of is I have a large deer stand on the opposite side of the pasture. It's tall and up on the hill, the downside is wifi up there is iffy- sometimes it works sometimes not depending on the device. If I could get something solar with a really good wifi antenna up there that would be awesome, the whole pasture should be in the field of view from there.

Did you order direct from Wyze or through a 3rd party vender? Any advantage to either one? Thx.
All of mine came from Amazon. I think they're a bit cheaper if you buy them direct, but I was usually buying other things to go with them (longer USB cables, exterior housings etc) so it was just easier to order everything at once.

Back