Wireless Avionics

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Is it possible that the next avionics step is to wireless, units that work with each other without the wire harness that now connects them together.

Could be done but certification would be interesting. “How much external malicious or non-malicious RF can these things handle and still talk to each other?”

You’d probably also want them to use a protected licensed band and not the free for all that is Part 15 if you ever wanted to certify it. Would add cost and licensing complexity.

You already see both WiFi and Bluetooth in the cockpit in non-certified applications like talking to the unnecessary but useful iPads.

Highly doubtful. Too much chance for interference, especially with all of the noise generated by things like magnetos.

FAA certification would be an absolute nightmare, and thus whatever the first wireless thing is would cost a fortune and not be purchased by anyone. This is why FADEC isn't really used in GA - Continental has a certified system for piston FADEC, but it costs six figures on top of the cost of the engine, so nobody buys it and no OEMs supply it on new planes either.

They can't even make those Tango wireless headsets work reliably. Avionics? Not in this lifetime.

Sorry, but that's just silly. Wireless is not an adequate replacement for anything that CAN be done with wires. And you're talking about a couple feet of wire. Even if they did get it in the cockpit, no way in heck I'd fly with it. I've never seen wireless anything that can beat the wired version at anything other than being wireless.

Interesting replies. Maybe sorta narrow minded. How much wire is there in the avg Boeing? More than a couple feet. I suspect there will be more use of Ethernet type protocols and wiring. Tough to go wireless for anything critical to flight and aircraft structure isn’t really conducive to wireless outside of the cabin. Equipment health monitoring might be able to go wireless. With an Ethernet type protocol and star topography would it be a win? Sorta doubt it. Maybe someday for short-range sensor stuff that could be powered wirelessly and isn’t critical to flight.

On the other hand wireless flight control works for drones...sorta well. Still lose a few drones every now and then.

Back