"Winter Storm Fern" and DFW Connection Question

farmrjohn

Line Up and Wait
Joined
Mar 26, 2018
Messages
750
Display Name
farmrjohn
My wife has a planned trip tomorrow connecting in DFW. Her inbound trip is scheduled for a noon arrival and the outbound connection is scheduled for a 1300 departure. I tried asking my 8-Ball if this looks like it had a good chance of success but it but its answer was "outlook cloudy". What are the hive's opinions on the odds of success? If it doesn't work, that could mean a LONG layover in the airport from what the news is forecasting.
 
My wife has a planned trip tomorrow connecting in DFW. Her inbound trip is scheduled for a noon arrival and the outbound connection is scheduled for a 1300 departure. I tried asking my 8-Ball if this looks like it had a good chance of success but it but its answer was "outlook cloudy". What are the hive's opinions on the odds of success? If it doesn't work, that could mean a LONG layover in the airport from what the news is forecasting.
There will be no adverse weather by then.
 
Doesn't look like any showstoppers so far:

TAF KDFW 221737Z 2218/2324 08005KT P6SM BKN012 BKN250
TEMPO 2218/2219 6SM BR BKN008
FM222200 10006KT P6SM SCT025 BKN050
FM230700 06007KT P6SM OVC018
FM231300 04010KT P6SM -RA OVC012
FM231700 04012KT 5SM -RA BR OVC008
 
Gosh, ignore the assinine names The Weather Channel assigns to these things. There is no such official naming.

I really wish meteorologists would get away from the entertainment/scare tactic of weather forecasting and stick to the facts. It used to be a few people on social media posting weather models two weeks out that are completely overblown, but now almost all meteorologists have joined the party. Its hard enough predicting the weather and making weather based decisions, overhyping every weather event doesn't help.
 
There are already lots of cancellations on Saturday, and that may continue Sunday. Hopefully her return trip is a free days out.

And aside, if she has to charge planes between terminals, make sure she uses the airside train or she won't make it in time.
 
I'm heading to NY via DEN on Sunday. I upgraded my rental car to a 4x4. Beyond that, everyone I talk to says it's either gonna be an inch of snow or 2 feet of snow. :dunno:

SWA was confident enough to offer me free cancellation on my refundable tix so they're obviously worried about something affecting their system.


"Fern" is a ridiculous name for a storm. :)
 
The OP didn't specify an airline, but the real danger of missing the connection is flying AA, not the weather. ;)
I've been left high and dry by United. The problem with this storm is it's clobbering AA's major hubs in DFW and CLT.
 
Update-she's giving it a go, and yes, is using AA. Unfortunately it looks like a terminal change to get the West Palm Beach flight. So far things are showing on time, so fingers crossed.

Agree about the ever escalating media hype.
 
I've been left high and dry by United. The problem with this storm is it's clobbering AA's major hubs in DFW and CLT.

I was just making a joke at my own company's expense. Everyone has been left high and dry by every carrier at one time or another. :)
 
Update-she's giving it a go, and yes, is using AA. Unfortunately it looks like a terminal change to get the West Palm Beach flight. So far things are showing on time, so fingers crossed.

Agree about the ever escalating media hype.
There should be signage to the Skylink train for the other terminal. It's pretty quick. It's also possible to walk between terminals, but unless the gates are close, the skylink is usually faster. The signs will indicate.
 
She made it! Off and running (climbing?) to PBI.
Good to hear! (Now, for anyone flying tomorrow, may be a different story!)

And, yeah, the named winter storms....we used to just call that "Tuesday" (or whatever) around here.
 
Last edited:
I have a trip scheduled for 9am Monday out of KADS. Planning on driving to the airport Sunday afternoon to check the road and airport conditions. The person that is flying with me is getting back from vacation on Sunday afternoon via the airlines.

It will be interesting and I will be watching the weather.
 
That explains it. You need to upgrade so you can get those on-time numbers in line.

We're kind of on our own little island on the widebody - the planes get a lot more time between flights and the company prioritizes the flying, so we don't see as much of the disruptions. Regardless, still have about 3 years before I'm senior enough to slide over to the left seat (if I take the initial upgrade).
 
Pilots are guilty of this too. Can't tell you how many pilots have reached out to me over the last couple of decades and asked me about the weather for a flight they were planning in 10 days.
All I want to know is how much ice will be on my car in Nashville when I get home Monday night!
 
I've been left high and dry by United. The problem with this storm is it's clobbering AA's major hubs in DFW and CLT.
Yep. My wife was scheduled to fly CLT to DFW today. Her flight was cancelled, as were the next two on that route

She’s feeling pretty good about moving up her return to get home yesterday
 
Departed Las Vegas Thursday afternoon before the weather turned crappy over the Rockies. Took a southern route and then up the east coast, landed at Ft Worth. Stayed as far south from the cold blast, and It worked. Departed Ft Worth and Atlanta just in front of the mess. Got home this afternoon. Great therapy, and an enjoyable break from the crazy world. Need a long X/C every now and then for sanity.

IMG_2507.PNG


IMG_2512.PNG
 
Back
Top