Winter is here...

METAR PAIN 302056Z AUTO 00000KT 9SM CLR M41/M45 A3006 RMK AO1 PNO

Predicting possible minus sixty by New Years Day. Brrrrrrrrrr! :cryin:

YUCK!!! My sister-in-law discovered recently that they will probably be moving from Anchorage to Fairbanks when her husband gets back from Iraq next year. That might change my timeframe for going to visit them. ;)

Uh Mike. Snow blowers work better when it is cold. When it gets to be 40 the snow gets too heavy for the snow blower to do much good. Clear it it out now before the warm weather moves in.

I tackled pushing back the new snow with some of the wet snow and it still did pretty well. It never clogged to the point where I had to clear the chute, even if it is a single stage.

BTW, in spite of having the 36 hours of 60 degree temps three's still a foot high strip of snow on the driveway left from the 4 foot high bank I made.

I got my JD tire chains, so I'm armed now.

There's still a little of our snow on the ground, but most of it has gone, courtesy of our standard snow removal equipment - RAIN. Yay!!! :p

YUCK!!! My sister-in-law discovered recently that they will probably be moving from Anchorage to Fairbanks when her husband gets back from Iraq next year. That might change my timeframe for going to visit them. ;)

There is really no reason to visit interior Alaska in the winter unless you REALLY want to see the aurora, or want to experience cold weather like you never have, or are a fan of sled dog racing. There are other advantages of living here in the winter, but not visiting. Save that for the summer.

BTW Fairbanks is often the warmest spot in the state during summer days, with highs regularly in the eighties and occasionally in the nineties.

Last edited:
Go to Fairbanks in the winter. It's worth the trip...once! Seriously, though, it's worth it if you like cold weather. Good restaurants downtown, too.

Doesn't seem too bad right now: 311853Z 00000KT 1/8SM R01L/2600V3000FT FZFG VV001 M40/ A3027 RMK AO2 SLP278 T1400 $ ;)

-Felix

Well Duh:rolleyes2:

Attachments

• 100_1568.jpg
    100_1568.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 100_1628.jpg
    100_1628.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 100_1635.jpg
    100_1635.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Happy New Year Tim!

Does it take alot of wood?, propane?,gas?, or electricity? to keep those thermometers 100 degrees F apart?

Rick

Several years ago took a military 747 charter into Anchorage than on to Fairbanks for the RON. It was December 21 light snow temp in Fairbanks was only 5 to 10 below. Had an Alaskan Airlines heater plugged into the 747 but there was no way it was going to keep that hog from freezing. Had to baby sit it all night running the APU every 2 hours or so just to keep it warm. Watched a lot of movies. Come morning on engine start had #1 engine start valve frozen, oh what fun. But it was all worth it climbing up through the overcast to see the sun setting on Mt. McKinley and me with no camera.
Ron

Was the last pic taken at 'high noon'?

Much closer to sun set, like about 1:45:yikes:

Here is the sun setting on Mt. McKinley.:drink: Temp -30f

Attachments

• 100_1642.jpg
    100_1642.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 100_1643.jpg
    100_1643.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 100_1645.jpg