Winter is here...

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
KIPT 191408Z 10008KT 1/2SM SN FZFG VV003 M02/M04 A3010 RMK AO2 P0002

This is out of date... the current METAR is saying 1/4 mile visibility, heavy snow.

I guess I'm not flying today. :smilewinkgrin:

Snowmageddon has hit WI. We are supposed to get about a total of a foot by the time this stuff ends...

IMG_0917.JPG

Winter is here too. I haven't ridden the motorcycle since last night.

You don't count, Ken. You don't have winter in Florida, it's just an extension of fall and spring.

Snowmageddon has hit WI. We are supposed to get about a total of a foot by the time this stuff ends...

IMG_0917.JPG

That's a bunch of snow!

We're supposed to get 10 inches of snow today. Presently it looks like it's around the 3-4" range, we'll see what happens.

New METAR:
KIPT 191554Z 09008KT M1/4SM +SN FZFG OVC002 M02/M04 A3001 RMK AO2 PRESFR SLP170 P0025 T10221039

Arlington Wa

Attachments

• I say we order pizza delivered.jpg
    I say we order pizza delivered.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 28
  • PICT0052.jpg
    PICT0052.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 27
KMKG 191555Z 04012G19KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN FZFG VV003 M05/M07 A2987 RMK AO2 SLP124 SNINCR 1/9 P0005 T10501067 $

I am in the midst of a "Michigan Winter" apparently....10 on the ground maybe 6 more coming....

--Matt

KMKG 191555Z 04012G19KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN FZFG VV003 M05/M07 A2987 RMK AO2 SLP124 SNINCR 1/9 P0005 T10501067 $

I am in the midst of a "Michigan Winter" apparently....10 on the ground maybe 6 more coming....

--Matt

KPHN 191655Z AUTO 06016G21KT 1/4SM +SN OVC004 M03/M05 A2972 RMK AO2

Wind right off the Lake about 4" in the last hour.

You don't count, Ken. You don't have winter in Florida, it's just an extension of fall and spring.

They really don't have spring, summer or fall either. Its really just one season called Equatorial Africa.

:D

We got somewhere between 5-8" last night here in Ames. One report 3 miles SE of town said 5" and another report west of town said 8". I live on the west side of town. I had to use 4WD in the Jeep to get to work after getting called in at 5:15 this morning. When I got done with my shift, I had to use 4WD to get BACK into my driveway b/c they had plowed it onto our side of the street. Oh well.. That's what it's for -- Only in a Jeep...

thats why you have 57 inch tires on that thing right?

id say somewhere around 6 inches. made walking home this morning interesting. thankfully only about a tenth of an inch of ice underneath it.

talked to the family today, they had 11 inches up in NW Iowa.

We are so getting the shaft in terms of snowfall here. If the weather is going to be crappy, there can at least be snow on the ground.

Oh well.. That's what it's for -- Only in a Jeep...

I don't know, my Ford Excursion seemed to do pretty well with the 4wd duties, except my truck is good enough that I haven't needed to engage 4wd yet. ;)

I just got home, and my property got between around 3-8" of snow, depending on what part (I suspect winds played a big role in that). I only needed 2wd to get down the driveway, but I will definitely need 4wd to get up!

Overall, Williamsport is a bit messy. I watched and laughed at Missa spinning her wheels for a bit, and the lesser vehicles were unable to get up hills. :)

Now don't be laughing at Missa. A smile would be OK though. Some of us like to test our traction that way. Beats hitting the brakes.

Icing up down here tonight. Roads were wet on the trip home, and we've had a good deal of rain all day. My grass is crusty with ice, sidewalks are a little slick, and the trees are starting to show signs of ice freezing on them. Looks nice in a way, but dreading tomorrow morning if these temps stay down.

KIPT 191408Z 10008KT 1/2SM SN FZFG VV003 M02/M04 A3010 RMK AO2 P0002

This is out of date... the current METAR is saying 1/4 mile visibility, heavy snow.

I guess I'm not flying today. :smilewinkgrin:

I didn't fly either - but for different reasons. Visited Charlotte NC to look at an airplane. It was shirtsleeve weather - but very windy.

Dave

There's a blizzard warning up for today and tomorrow for southern and central Minnesota. There was supposed to be one yesterday, too, but the drive home from MSP wasn't bad at all. The drive to MSP this afternoon may be another story, however...

Winter is here too. I haven't ridden the motorcycle since last night.

You are a cruel man Ken. :nono:

;)

I just wish the global warming thing would hurry up. Air temps of -15F are projected here for Monday, wind chills of -35F.

Our forecast is calling for single digits tomorrow morning. Since we're usually 8-10 degrees colder than town, it's gonna be downright frigid.:yikes:

Eight inches of snow yesterday. Freezing rain today, maybe tomorrow, too. We're not leaving the house. :no:

Just so I-5 is passable on Wednesday morning. Our daughter and son-in-law live in Vancouver and they're supposed to drive up for Christmas that morning. It has stopped snowing (for now) in Olympia, but we got plenty more yesterday and last night. I'm going to have some serious clearing to do before the Jeep is ready to climb the hill so we can go to church this morning.

I think we're up to 33 inches of snow, all in roughly the past month.

If this keeps going, we're gonna blow away the record AGAIN. Before last year, our seasonal record was 76 inches. At this rate, we'll top that by the end of January.

Farmer's Almanac supposedly said we're gonna get 176 inches this year. Dunno if I buy that, but we're certainly headed in that direction!

Spring floods, here we come again. :frown3:

I have scooped the driveway twice today! Let it snow, I am ready for some skiing.

Where are the severe clear but cold days that are supposed to be in between the low ceilings and heavy snow?

Global warming my dimpled ***.

Well, we've got severe clear and cold here:

KIPT 231154Z 00000KT 10SM CLR M10/M16 A3061 RMK STL FRKN CLD

Well it's warmed up, but it's snowing AGAIN.

I took this yesterday when we had a high around zero. It was so cold we were getting rime ice on the window frames at work...

n731567510_1657751_116.jpg

Is your office certified for known icing conditions, Pete? It sounds like you need to turn around and go home to remain legal. :D

I don't know, my Ford Excursion seemed to do pretty well with the 4wd duties, except my truck is good enough that I haven't needed to engage 4wd yet. ;)

I just got home, and my property got between around 3-8" of snow, depending on what part (I suspect winds played a big role in that). I only needed 2wd to get down the driveway, but I will definitely need 4wd to get up!

Overall, Williamsport is a bit messy. I watched and laughed at Missa spinning her wheels for a bit, and the lesser vehicles were unable to get up hills. :)

Now don't be laughing at Missa. A smile would be OK though. Some of us like to test our traction that way. Beats hitting the brakes.

He can go ahead and laugh... I laugh about the fact I get 30 MPH and he gets 9 MPG... You can't have everything. I get good gas mileage but it's a light vehicle that just can't dig into the snow.

He can go ahead and laugh... I laugh about the fact I get 30 MPH and he gets 9 MPG... You can't have everything. I get good gas mileage but it's a light vehicle that just can't dig into the snow.

That's why you have two vehicles. Summer and winter!

That's why it took you so long to get to Osh! See, part of the beauty of my 12-14 MPG truck is it can actually go highway speeds. ;)

+1. Altough you and I have 2 (or at least 1.5) summer vehicles. See here:

Summer 1:

HPIM2517.JPG

Summer 2:

HPIM2551.JPG

Winter:

HPIM2595.JPG

Yes... that picture was taken in the summer. :D

I really ought to have a more appropriate winter shot, like how right now the truck is covered in salt (looks more gray than black) and has the winch mounted on front for pulling people like Missa out of the ditches they end up in because their cars can't handle the roads. ;)

I really ought to have a more appropriate winter shot, like how right now the truck is covered in salt (looks more gray than black) and has the winch mounted on front for pulling people like Missa out of the ditches they end up in because their cars can't handle the roads. ;)

I was not even close to being in the ditch. I know how to handle my car no matter the weather even with it's limitations. Just because it was light and not getting much bite it was still biting and moving forward.

Yea! lets spend $50K on a vehicle to handle the 2-3 times a year the car had a bit of difficulty... that's a great idea. Want to buy me a winter car with all that cash you have laying around????

It may have took a little longer to get going because it was too light but I still got it going and always stayed on the road.

I was not even close to being in the ditch. I know how to handle my car no matter the weather even with it's limitations. Just because it was light and not getting much bite it was still biting and moving forward.

LIES!!!!! I still remember almost dying as a passenger while you got lost in Ann Arbor.

Yea! lets spend $50K on a vehicle to handle the 2-3 times a year the car had a bit of difficulty... that's a great idea. Want to buy me a winter car with all that cash you have laying around????

It may have took a little longer to get going because it was too light but I still got it going and always stayed on the road.

My Colorado bought new was only like 23k, and there's a ****-ton of used 4WDs for sale in the sub-10k range.

Where are the severe clear but cold days that are supposed to be in between the low ceilings and heavy snow?

That's what I'm wondering. Here's the latest news from where I instruct. I should start a skiplane school. Except I'd need IFR FIKI skiplanes.

NOAA said:
Over the weekend, Appleton set a new snowfall record for the month of December. The total of 32.2 inches (through mid-morning Tuesday) eclipsed the old record of 28.1 inches set in 1968. The total for this December also makes it the snowiest of any month on record. The old record of 32.1 inches was set in January 1918.

Here in Vancouver WA we are digging out from what is reported to be the sixth-largest snowfall in the city's recorded history (and this is the oldest city in the Northwest), the largest since 1950. So far this is the second-snowiest December on record. More snow is on the way tomorrow.
eek.gif

Here in Vancouver WA we are digging out from what is reported to be the sixth-largest snowfall in the city's recorded history (and this is the oldest city in the Northwest), the largest since 1950. So far this is the second-snowiest December on record. More snow is on the way tomorrow.
eek.gif

And today's Daily Olympian (or, as we know it, the Daily Zero) is reporting that we've set a record for December snowfall. The old record (1955?) was 10 inches. They didn't give a new number, but said that snowfall in Thurston Country ranges from 1 to 2 feet. Given that we had over 12 inches on the hood of my wife's car (ruler on end was buried) and we live at about 60 feet MSL, I can believe that range. And the return of rain (local snow removal equipment) keeps getting pushed back. My son and I shoveled the driveway this afternoon, but the street is a mess and I hope my daughter is really careful coming down the hill when she gets here from Vancouver tomorrow. She's going to have all sorts of fun getting back up the hill to have Christmas Eve at her in-laws. We'll have enough trouble in the Jeep getting up to go to church.

I'm really looking forward to February when we spend a summer week in Sydney, Australia...

"We should get 1-3 more inches in the city, but it will be as much as 7 more inches near the Wisconsin border."

So WHY did I move near the Wisconsin border? :mad:

I think I have 14-16 inches accumulation by now. The only good news is we'll get a melt going as high as 40-50 starting Friday.

That will give me time to have the snowblower really set up with the hot setup - everything fixed with weights and tire chains.

"We should get 1-3 more inches in the city, but it will be as much as 7 more inches near the Wisconsin border."

So WHY did I move near the Wisconsin border? :mad:

I think I have 14-16 inches accumulation by now. The only good news is we'll get a melt going as high as 40-50 starting Friday.

That will give me time to have the snowblower really set up with the hot setup - everything fixed with weights and tire chains.

Uh Mike. Snow blowers work better when it is cold. When it gets to be 40 the snow gets too heavy for the snow blower to do much good. Clear it it out now before the warm weather moves in.

Bah I was joking and you should know that, especially seeing as you know the real reason I have that winch is in case I can't get up my own driveway even with the 4x4!

METAR PAIN 302056Z AUTO 00000KT 9SM CLR M41/M45 A3006 RMK AO1 PNO

That's a density altitude of 5330 feet below sea level at field elevation!

Predicting possible minus sixty by New Years Day. Brrrrrrrrrr! :cryin:

Last edited:
Back