Winter flying and icing

@AlphaMike: Interesting that your pitot tube had ice on it. Was it working? Looking at that picture, you were close to something bad happening, just no way of knowing how close. That is a lot of mixed ice, and the effect of ice is never the same 2 times on an airframe. Good call on getting out of it, but just realize that was a close one, and don't use past performance to predict future outcomes. That amount of ice on a non-deiced airframe would scare the bejesus out of me.

My first “real” icing situation happened last May.

My question as well, was the pitot heat working.??

Good move for asking for lower. Just keep in mind that it might behoove (there is that word again) you to take action first, then notify ATC. Icing in a non-FIKI airplane can be an emergency.

As Abram stated above, any temps below 10c and heat on.

I knew a pilot in Alaska that would take the ice off his plane and use it in his mixed drinks...

The definition of icing conditions is that the temperature is under 10 degrees celsius and there is visible moisture. That can include haze, fog, wet runways, etc. The training is that if you are going into visible moisture with either Total Air Temperature (TAT) or Static Air Temperature (SAT) below 10 degrees celsius, all of your icing equipment goes on.
This paragraph reads like a particular operator’s manual, not something that I’ve read in any regulation as a part 91 flyer. Whose definition of icing conditions and whose training are you referring to?

My question as well, was the pitot heat working.??

Good move for asking for lower. Just keep in mind that it might behoove (there is that word again) you to take action first, then notify ATC. Icing in a non-FIKI airplane can be an emergency.

As Abram stated above, any temps below 10c and heat on.

I knew a pilot in Alaska that would take the ice off his plane and use it in his mixed drinks...
I turned on the heat as soon as I saw this. It worked almost instantly. This was definitely a learning experience for me. I notified ATC and they cleared me without any delay.If they hadn’t I would have definitely descended anyway. It literally scared the hell out of me! The plane felt completely normal but seeing that much ice was definitely a pucker moment!

Just a couple things to add. If I remember correctly the temperature at 11k was between 2 and 3c. there were no reports of ice before me. But after, I heard several other pilots reporting ice in the same area. The temperature on the ground was around 55 degrees f. I wasn’t even thinking about ice. I wasn't even considering it as a possibility. Like I said it was a huge learning experience! I will never put myself in that situation again. I finished that flight and literally drove home and watched / read everything I could find on the internet about inflight ice. It scared me deeply. The picture I posted is only the beginning. It got worse, probably twice or more worse. when I broke out the ice was falling off in chunks! You could feel it and hear it coming off the wing and prop. That was the only time I’ve ever been truly scared in the plane.

This paragraph reads like a particular operator’s manual, not something that I’ve read in any regulation as a part 91 flyer. Whose definition of icing conditions and whose training are you referring to?
You are correct. This is from the Embraer manuals. The FAA uses 0 degrees celsius, but also refers to the need for vigilance at slightly warmer temperatures and knowing whether you are looking at Outside Air Temperature or Total Air Temperature.

Abram Finkelstein
N685AS

You are correct. This is from the Embraer manuals. The FAA uses 0 degrees celsius, but also refers to the need for vigilance at slightly warmer temperatures and knowing whether you are looking at Outside Air Temperature or Total Air Temperature.

Abram Finkelstein
N685AS

Technically it’s engine heat on under 10c and the rest (boots and windshield) under 5c according to my book on the P100

Technically it’s engine heat on under 10c and the rest (boots and windshield) under 5c according to my book on the P100

Hey, Rudy. That is correct. Some instructors teach that as a practical matter, you should do it all, but that does not happen in actual operation.

Abram Finkelstein

Hey, Rudy. That is correct. Some instructors teach that as a practical matter, you should do it all, but that does not happen in actual operation.

Abram Finkelstein

Fair point but I just did my EMB-500 type so I’m feeling pedantic. :)

Stay away from ice. Bad juju.

Amen to that!

How does a variable pitch propeller help with icing ? What actions would you take?

Anyone experienced icing? How much time did you have to escape?

A variable pitch prop doesn't help at all. The two times I've picked up ice (and it has been years) were in a 182. Also, the one time I've had to add carb heat to melt carb ice were in that 182, as well. Difference flights.

This is the time of year I start dreaming of owning a FIKI airplane. I just don't have the funds to feed one.

Back