WingX for free for CFI's

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I saw this on LinkedIn today.

"Here is the link to instructions: http://hiltonsoftware.com/cfi/ If you want to know more info on WingX http://hiltonsoftware.com is the main page for WingX. Bottom line for free subscription is simply send a scanned image of you CFI Certificate to cfi@hiltonsoftware.com with CFI Free as the subject."

The website does exist and has details. I sent in my email and hope its legit. I believe it is and I will report back.

David

Smart marketing ,give a product to the CFIs for free,then they can push it to other pilots,initial training,BFRs, .

I hope they extend this until the end of January when I plan to take my CFI ride!

I took em up on their offer.

We'll see tomorrow, but from playing with the program at home, I'm not impressed, compared to foreflight it just seems like a waste of storage.

I took em up on their offer.

We'll see tomorrow, but from playing with the program at home, I'm not impressed, compared to foreflight it just seems like a waste of storage.

I prefer it over Fore Flight, mainly like to dual view and black box feature.

I have an Ipad 2 with just wifi. Does WingX work with this setup? I've never tried any of the aviation apps.

I have an Ipad 2 with just wifi. Does WingX work with this setup? I've never tried any of the aviation apps.

You'll need an external gps or ads-b transceiver. Good thing with WingX is if you decide to get an external Ads-b device you're not locked into Stratus as your are with Foreflight.

Yep, I used to use it with a 32GB wifi iPad 2 no problems. You will need a Bluetooth GPS input to it though, and I would recommend you get one that also has the AHRS and ADS-B features so you can make full use of some very powerful software capabilities, but a sub $100 GPS will get you 75% capability.

You'll need an external gps or ads-b transceiver. Good thing with WingX is if you decide to get an external Ads-b device you're not locked into Stratus as your are with Foreflight.

Yep, I used to use it with a 32GB wifi iPad 2 no problems. You will need a Bluetooth GPS input to it though, and I would recommend you get one that also has the AHRS and ADS-B features so you can make full use of some very powerful software capabilities, but a sub $100 GPS will get you 75% capability.
Thanks! I'll look into it.

This is perhaps the most brilliant marketing scheme I've seen yet for an EFB package! And I don't mean that in a negative way either. I really is brilliant.

This is perhaps the most brilliant marketing scheme I've seen yet for an EFB package! And I don't mean that in a negative way either. I really is brilliant.

This is what is known as cooperative marketing. I have many thousands of dollars of dive gear I got free for working for Billy Deans. They would give us gear right and left to test and be seen using.

I prefer it over Fore Flight, mainly like to dual view and black box feature.

Back when it was just the two and I got my old iPad I loaded and tried both for a week and returned Fore Flight. I never figured out why it became the market leader, WingX won the shoot out hands down. In fact, without the SVT, Foreflight pretty much forfeited.

Now Garmin has a little niche capability, that could become a market dominating feature depending on how many people buy the Bluetooth link to their radios, or have the GTN series radios. If they supply the BT link to rental fleets at an attractive enough price to equip all the GN series boxes out there, then Garmin Pilot will become the default GA mobile device software. First off they cover both iOS and Android. The biggie though is tha ability the BT link allows you in changing the way you interface with a 430 or 530 into the way you interface with the 650 or 750. You get logical menus, you get Victor Airways, you can rubberband clearance amendments, you can even preflight program your route at home and upload it to your panel.

Anyone who owns a private use plane with a 430, 530, or G-1000 and has a lick of sense will adopt this option, so given what I read here, that'll be around 35%. It'll be interesting how many of the rental market get the upgrade.

Foreflight is more aestically pleasing which may have something to do with it. They seem to also use higher resolution maps or at least they look more crisp.

WingX app icon and some of their menus don't seem polished. But since I'm more concerned about functionality I got used to it. You'll have a lot of people who stick with Foreflight because they've been using it the last 5 years and don't want the change.

This is all super as long as you have an apple device. WingX on android is like their reject programmers side project.

This is all super as long as you have an apple device. WingX on android is like their reject programmers side project.

Yep, that is Garmin Pilot's 'left hook' on the rest of the market, full functionality on both iOS and Android. As much as I detest Garmin's business ethic, they usually provide the best option with regards to function.

Well, Garmin's android version isn't and never has been up to the same standards as their Apple version. But it's not surprising. On the Apple side, they have to compete with Foreflight and WingX. On the Android side, they have to compete with iFly and Avare, much less competition.

My previous tablet was an Android. I liked it a lot and tried to find aviation app options with it to no avail. I would speculate that the market is already extremely limited, and then much more limited with Android users, further challenged by the different make/models supporting the android platform. So I bought an Ipad Mini....

Back when it was just the two and I got my old iPad I loaded and tried both for a week and returned Fore Flight. I never figured out why it became the market leader, WingX won the shoot out hands down. In fact, without the SVT, Foreflight pretty much forfeited.

This is pretty much the same story for me. I originally purchased a three month subscription to ForeFlight when I got my iPad. Near the end of my FF subscription WingX came out with the 30 free trial. When I tried the two programs head-to-head, WingX clearly had more bang for the buck features like their terrain database, split screen, georeferenced airport diagrams and the list goes on. Yes, FF had a neat way to drag the flight path line to add waypoints and it looked very nice sitting in my La-Z-Boy in the den, but in a bouncing airplane with less than optimum visibility, the FF fonts were much more difficult to read. As Henning said in his post it was also surprising to me too that more people didn't see how much further ahead WingX has been over FF. A couple of months ago a pilot friend of mine that uses FF and I compared the two programs side by side. He would keep saying over and over, 'I wish FF would do that' or 'I wish FF's weather overlay looked that nice.' If people would just take the time to watch the WingX videos on YouTube and spend a little time with the program I think they would love it too. Each to their own. I do think the competition between WingX, FF and Garmin makes us all winners because it pushes all three app providers to keep improving their program. Regardless of which program a person chooses to use, we all benefit from that competition.

I saw this on LinkedIn today.

"Here is the link to instructions: http://hiltonsoftware.com/cfi/ If you want to know more info on WingX http://hiltonsoftware.com is the main page for WingX. Bottom line for free subscription is simply send a scanned image of you CFI Certificate to cfi@hiltonsoftware.com with CFI Free as the subject."

The website does exist and has details. I sent in my email and hope its legit. I believe it is and I will report back.

David
I think it's a safe bet than a quality EFB app that has been around for about as many years as the iPad itself really exists.

Bwaahaaahaaa! All those years renewing my CFI finally paid off!

(Pinky finger corner mouth unite)

It's just not as polished overall as foreflight, I like some of the new features too, W&B and that approach notam flag is a big upgrade, also the flight planning and weather is better.

I'll keep wingx on for a little while longer, but so far I'm not super impressed.

I've been playing with my free Wing X subscription since last night. I'll have to try it in flight a bit but a lot of the value of it I can't get since I have a Stratus. They really should reverse engineer the API to support it.

It's certainly not very polished but I can see a few things that might be nice in an airplane. Less small **** to tap on to get what I want it seems.

....lot of the value of it I can't get since I have a Stratus. They really should reverse engineer the API to support it.

Hilton has approached FF on multiple occasions and they don't want Stratus playing in anyone else's sand box. Same for Garmin but yet others are happy to share.

Don't understand that from a business model POV - just like Ned Flanders
leftorium.

Foreflight is more aestically pleasing which may have something to do with it. They seem to also use higher resolution maps or at least they look more crisp.

WingX app icon and some of their menus don't seem polished. But since I'm more concerned about functionality I got used to it. You'll have a lot of people who stick with Foreflight because they've been using it the last 5 years and don't want the change.

I just got my free WingX subscription and look forward to learning it. Initial impression: charts are consistently much sharper than ForeFlight. Very impressed with that. However, the User Interface lags far behind ForeFlight. I was comfortable with FF within minutes of firing it up. WingX is going to take some time. It's got a clunkier feel overall than FF or GP. But, hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth so I'll spend some time getting comfortable with it.

I've been playing with my free Wing X subscription since last night. I'll have to try it in flight a bit but a lot of the value of it I can't get since I have a Stratus. They really should reverse engineer the API to support it.

It's certainly not very polished but I can see a few things that might be nice in an airplane. Less small **** to tap on to get what I want it seems.

:yeahthat: I'd love to use it with my new Stratus.

We use iPads in our flight department and up until last year had both WingX and ForeFlight installed on the company iPads. We had full versions of both apps installed on all of the iPads and we were free to use whichever one we wanted. After a couple of years, we realized that everyone of us had gravitated to ForeFlight as their preferred app and last year we didn't even bother to renew our WingX subscriptions. It's not that there's anything wrong with WingX, I actually think they're pretty equal overall, but I do prefer ForeFlight.

It's certainly not very polished but I can see a few things that might be nice in an airplane.

It is a case of style over substance, FF(style) makes full use of the iOS API functions while WX(substance) is more Windows 95 looking, both do probably 75% of the same functions but by constantly adding new iOS API functions that require you to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of iOS, which in turn could require hardware upgrade, can prove expensive.

Personally, the "chunky" look of WX is easier to read and easier to use on bumpy flights. I find the buttons on FF and other apps too small to read/push when it matters.

I think it's a safe bet than a quality EFB app that has been around for about as many years as the iPad itself really exists.

Was referring to the specific webpage about the CFI benefit part. Not the actual Hilton website. And I was skeptical about getting it for free. Still am till I get the account info.

David

How's come some of you already knew about this and did not tell the rest of us? Shame, shame.

David

For those that use this do you recommend Android or IOS or does it not matter? Usually they develop for one or the other so I'm wondering which to get...

For those that use this do you recommend Android or IOS or does it not matter? Usually they develop for one or the other so I'm wondering which to get...

Definitely the iPad version. The Android version does not have all of the features that are in the iPad version from what I understand.

Personally, the "chunky" look of WX is easier to read and easier to use on bumpy flights. I find the buttons on FF and other apps too small to read/push when it matters.

+1. That has been my perspective too.

Last edited:
Foreflight is more aestically pleasing which may have something to do with it.

This. While in reality both are good flight apps with the edge to WingX, FF gets all the love because of its looks. Also FF does a much better marketing job with the exception of this last move by WingX. I'm sure what prompted WingX was the splashy announcement by FF of synthetic view, which WingX had long before!

That's the Italian blood influencing our society.:rofl: "It doesn't work." "Yes, but it is bellisimo". "But it doesn't work." "But look how beautifully it doesn't work":lol: (This is an actual conversation with a naval architect at Benetti.:rofl:)

Well, I've downloaded WingX with the 30-day trial. We'll see how it goes.

I've never been a huge fan of navigating on FF.

Also FF does a much better marketing job.......!

Agree... Name one GA related publication that does not have a full page ad every month... Some of them with catchy titles like "No sneak peaks" to plug their late to market profile view, sorry 'Terrain advisor"

They probably fund their ad campaigns by adding simple features like W&B into the PRO version and sit back and watch the $$$ roll in.

I thought wingx was a flight simulator or design application. Am I remembering the name wrong?

Back