Wingsuit crash

I've always considered wingsuits to belong to the Darwin clothing collection.

Many people who don't know consider small aircraft in that same line.

Just depends on how you use it.

Proxy flying in a win suit is about the same a super low level aerobatics in a plane.

Wingsuiting out of a caravan at 13,000 is about as safe as doing maneuvers in the practice area in your plane.

Many people who don't know consider small aircraft in that same line.

Just depends on how you use it.

Proxy flying in a win suit is about the same a super low level aerobatics in a plane.

Wingsuiting out of a caravan at 13,000 is about as safe as doing maneuvers in the practice area in your plane.

Okay that's true, but that's not the kind of activity that is getting people killed, it's the low level, close-in base jumping off mountains, like what our friend in the video was doing.

It seems like he had an out to the left.. why did he continue to hug the ridge with trees whizzing by at/above his head? Just had to get a *little* bit closer, I guess.

On one hand, I think that these guys are lunatics risking their lives for a thrill. I would never have what it takes to willingly put my life in that much danger. On the other hand, it's people such as these who are willing to push the envelope to extreme levels that advance technology for us to benefit from later. From race car drivers, to deep water divers, to astronauts, to test pilots. It's sad when they push it too far, but more power to them for trying.

tumblr_majw58fYCn1qk82m8o1_1280.jpg

Personal freedom is great, I'm all for people following their dreams and having cool adventures. What I don't like is the guy doing a go fund me to pay for medical expenses. Expecting others to pay for his asshattery bothers me some.

It seems like he had an out to the left.. why did he continue to hug the ridge with trees whizzing by at/above his head? Just had to get a *little* bit closer, I guess.
Yup, adrenaline can be addictive. To the point that it clouds one's judgement and box them into a corner.
But if all goes according to the plan, the high one gets is unparalleled. (well, if you discount PCP, LSD and BBQ, OMG LOL :) ).

GoFundMe's don't bother me. Those who want to give, give. Others can ignore it. There is no obligation.

Okay that's true, but that's not the kind of activity that is getting people killed, it's the low level, close-in base jumping off mountains, like what our friend in the video was doing.

True, but hey could have been worse for the guy, could have lived a long and boring life of mediocracy, died in a hospital bed, tubes in all sorts of holes, smelling like poop and death, thinking of what could have been.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

The meek do inherit the earth, in ticky tacky little boxes.

True, but hey could have been worse for the guy, could have lived a long and boring life of mediocracy, died in a hospital bed, tubes in all sorts of holes, smelling like poop and death, thinking of what could have been. .

Although, with the possible exceptions of mediocrity and death, doesn't that describe his current situation?

Although, with the possible exceptions of mediocrity and death, doesn't that describe his current situation?

I'd say if he crashed and others didn't, he's found mediocrity, correct? The others who didn't crash performed above his mediocre level. :)

I'd say if he crashed and others didn't, he's found mediocrity, correct? The others who didn't crash performed above his mediocre level. :)
This can probably be refined a bit to help define the distribution. There are at least four categories: Did not crash, landed safe; Did not crash, landed un-safe; crashed, lived; crashed, died.

Given that distribution I'd suggest that mediocrity was above the two "crashed" categories. The "crashed" categories would definitely rate an Unsat in the log book.

I think the mediocrity qualification should be also quantified by proximity in flight. Those who flew and didn't crash (because they never got close to terrain) cannot be automatically quantified as "above" mediocre.
Agreed?

I think the mediocrity qualification should be also quantified by proximity in flight. Those who flew and didn't crash (because they never got close to terrain) cannot be automatically quantified as "above" mediocre.
Agreed?
That's too twisted for me to follow - a double negative with a parenthetical...

Those who dare not and live are far more mediocre than those who do dare and die doing so.

He would've made except for the damn trees :confused:...there were several times that he could've steered clear or popped silk. He must've had a great PLF to survive that one.;)

True, but hey could have been worse for the guy, could have lived a long and boring life of mediocracy, died in a hospital bed, tubes in all sorts of holes, smelling like poop and death, thinking of what could have been.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

The meek do inherit the earth, in ticky tacky little boxes.

I'm aiming for somewhere between the wingsuit and life-support deathbed extremes.

A little Febreze does wonders for that poopy smell...

Agreed?

They willfully chose a better flight path. I'd give them at least a style point for that.

Instead, he might get to do that at a younger age since he didn't die and has a head injury.

They say any landing you walk away from is a good one. Did he walk away? Judging from the extent of his injuries I'd say probably not. That would be a bad landing and clearly in the mediocre category.

"George, George, George of the jungle..."

I feel bad for the mountain rescue folks who have to scrape these idiots off the rocks.

I don't, sure beats plucking idiots who go try to hike a crazy trail in a tshirt and shorts, navigating off their iPhone, or the fattie who gets shortness of breath in the middle of a wooded area. At least you can have respect for a extream athlete who pushed the edge just a little too far.

I think that was summed up well in the first interview comment: 'Dude, you're one lucky mutherfker!'

I don't, sure beats plucking idiots who go try to hike a crazy trail in a tshirt and shorts, navigating off their iPhone, or the fattie who gets shortness of breath in the middle of a wooded area. At least you can have respect for a extream athlete who pushed the edge just a little too far.

They'll take 10 fatties in sneakes who they can walk off the mountain to one recovery where they have to count the collected pieces before they hike down.

Back