Wingsuit crash

Wingsuits look like a freaking blast. Its just that I don't have the stones to do what those guys do...

I don't feel *too* sorry for the SAR guys. That IS what they train for and guys like that like to actually get to USE their training in real situation.

I've got 2 wingsuit jumps, one out of a skyvan and one out of a twin otter. The ride up is disconcerting because the wingsuit is very restrictive to your motion compared to a regular jumpsuit. The feeling of "flight" is incredible. You'll not find me doing any proximity stuff.

I've got 2 wingsuit jumps, one out of a skyvan and one out of a twin otter. The ride up is disconcerting because the wingsuit is very restrictive to your motion compared to a regular jumpsuit. The feeling of "flight" is incredible. You'll not find me doing any proximity stuff.

Exactly why I never flew or want to fly a wing suit. Too claustrophobic!!

Eventually when you push the envelope to far, you get paper cut. For these guys, it's just a matter of time for all of them.

Cool vid. Glad it's them not me.

What happened to the guy that clipped a rock in Africa, did he go on to bigger things?

They will all end up like the guy who clipped the bridge, his legs landed in a different spot than his torso. Boy was that worth it.

They will all end up like the guy who clipped the bridge, his legs landed in a different spot than his torso. Boy was that worth it.

Ouch. Meat missile for sure. He knew the risks...let's just say that he didn't win the lottery that day.

What happened to the guy that clipped a rock in Africa, did he go on to bigger things?

Jeb Corliss. I happened to be there just before he made that leap. (As a tourist, not a base jumper :confused::eek:) He's still at it. Titanium plates and all. The clip shown below is from the year after his Table Mountain mishap.

On September 28, 2013, Corliss made a jump called the "flying dagger". He jumped out of a helicopter wearing a wingsuit and then flew through a narrow "crack" in Mount Jianglang in China. The fissure is approximately 60 feet across at the top, 15 feet across at the bottom, and over three football fields tall. After safely completing the jump, Corliss was quoted saying that it was "...the single gnarliest thing I've ever done..." and "I have never experienced anything so hardcore. Period. I have not been that scared in my life. It was so powerful and overwhelming. I started crying
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeb_Corliss

And Africa wasn't his first time at the ER trauma rodeo.

In 1999, he hit a waterfall in South Africa and his chute collapsed, leaving him with a broken back and lacerations. In 2009, he broke his leg after hitting a building in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia, and in 2012, he broke both ankles and tore up one of his knees when he hit a ledge while in his wingsuit during a jump in South Africa. Corliss is known for pushing the boundaries of BASE jumping by also performing acrobatic maneuvers like twists, somersaults and gainers during freefall.

http://www.today.com/news/daredevil-lands-flying-dagger-jump-through-mountain-fissure-8C11273380

Back