Wing Walk repair

av8tr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jurgen
Hi Folks

Our AME has just informed us that the rear wing walk area of our PA28 161 has a minor crack in it and may require replacement sometime in the future.
That being said I am wondering if anyone out there has had this repair done, and what the cost/no. of hours to repair were ?? I also thought that if we are going to replace the rear area we may as well do both because the area would have to be painted.

Cheers, Jurgen...

Hi Folks

Our AME has just informed us that the rear wing walk area of our PA28 161 has a minor crack in it and may require replacement sometime in the future.
That being said I am wondering if anyone out there has had this repair done, and what the cost/no. of hours to repair were ?? I also thought that if we are going to replace the rear area we may as well do both because the area would have to be painted.

Cheers, Jurgen...
What’s considered the ‘rear wing walk area’ ?

I assume the “rear wing walk area” is the flap skin? And you’re asking if you should replace part of the wing skin, too?

The flap should never be stepped on.
About 12" of the inboard side of the Piper Cherokee flap is designed to be stepped on as long as it it in the full retracted position. Still don't know if that is what OP is talking about.

It is an acceptable stepping surface on a Cherokee. That said, I still don’t step on it.

I've never had an owner, operator, or CFI allow stepping on the flap of a PA28 or PA32. It's uniformly described as dangerous to the plane and the person.

**when you get to the plane as the first person drop the flaps, or just leave the flaps down when you leave.. that's SOP on some Tigers and will discourage people from stepping on the flap. Something I've always done on PA28 and Cirri

Also, with the flap down, the large "no step" is exposed

adding to @Tantalum's comment: RV's are ALWAYS parked with flaps down to protect plane and people.

<-- hey look, there's one parked and notice the flap?

The wing walk is the section of the right wing of a PA-28, about the 2-3 ft closest to the fuselage. It is right outside the door and is the part you walk on to board.

I know someone who had to do this 10 years ago. My impression is that it was not cheap, but not too bad. Less than an partial overhaul, more than an annual?

My POH says to avoid stepping on the flap when extended. When the flap is up, it is permitted to step on.

Sure, here you go -

While waiting on the thread opening I was thinking of this kind of damage.

Wing-Walking-The-Hibbs-Lupus-Trust.jpg

Imho, the flap shouldn’t be stepped on at any time and I advise my passengers of that. Step onto the wing, not the flap.

I've never had an owner, operator, or CFI allow stepping on the flap of a PA28 or PA32. It's uniformly described as dangerous to the plane and the person.

That’s fine if an owner or flight school wants to adopt that procedure, I step over the flap whenever possible too. But it is an approved stepping surface on a cherokee when the flaps are retracted. Look at the right hand flap and you’ll see the reinforcement that was installed to allow it to be a stepping surface. The fact that the wing walk paint extends onto the flap and the placard is visible on the leading edge of the flap only when extended should serve as evidence as well.

As noted, there are types of airplanes where stepping on the flaps is not acceptable. That should be adhered to, but no need to worry in the cherokee.

That’s fine if an owner or flight school wants to adopt that procedure, I step over the flap whenever possible too. But it is an approved stepping surface on a cherokee when the flaps are retracted. Look at the right hand flap and you’ll see the reinforcement that was installed to allow it to be a stepping surface. The fact that the wing walk paint extends onto the flap and the placard is visible on the leading edge of the flap only when extended should serve as evidence as well.

As noted, there are types of airplanes where stepping on the flaps is not acceptable. That should be adhered to, but no need to worry in the cherokee.

It may be an "approved stepping surface" by the book, but that doesn't make it a good idea if it can be avoided. It's increased force and wear on a movable surface. I reserve "stepping on the flap" for people that can't step over it (like, kids, who are light anyway). If you can step over it, why would you want to step on it? You're just taunting the gremlins inside.

Our AME has just informed us t
no one noticed ... why on earth would you get an inspection of a plane done by an AME?

without picture hard to say, but there was a small crack that was repaired on my plane under the wing walk with some kind of plate and about a zillion rivets.

If someone wants to step on the flaps in my archer, they might as well climb over my dead body first

If someone wants to step on the flaps in my archer, they might as well climb over my dead body first
My SOP is to leave the flaps down in the takeoff position, so even if they can’t read “no step” placard, it should prevent them stepping on it and less likely to catch a foot getting in/out.

Sigh...seriously? How does this comment help?

I'm guessing Jurgen might not be from the United States and the terminology for a mechanic just might be different. Regardless what you call the person who did the inspection, it doesn't change what he's asking about.

God forbid you ever make a mistake.
clearly i suck at sarcastic comments

Sigh...seriously? How does this comment help?

I'm guessing Jurgen might not be from the United States and the terminology for a mechanic just might be different. Regardless what you call the person who did the inspection, it doesn't change what he's asking about.

God forbid you ever make a mistake.
Jump down his throat much? I think that’s a valid question to ask. Most people don’t get their aircraft inspected by an AME - assuming OP is not in the US as well.

It may be an "approved stepping surface" by the book, but that doesn't make it a good idea if it can be avoided. It's increased force and wear on a movable surface. I reserve "stepping on the flap" for people that can't step over it (like, kids, who are light anyway). If you can step over it, why would you want to step on it? You're just taunting the gremlins inside.

Did you overlook where I said I don’t step on the flap unless it’s unavoidable? :)

Good idea or not doesn’t change that piper added structure to the flap so people could step on it if they wanted to. If you go up the thread you’ll see the poster I originally quoted said the flap should never be stepped on. Obviously Piper has other ideas on the matter.

Did you overlook where I said I don’t step on the flap unless it’s unavoidable? :)

Good idea or not doesn’t change that piper added structure to the flap so people could step on it if they wanted to. If you go up the thread you’ll see the poster I originally quoted said the flap should never be stepped on. Obviously Piper has other ideas on the matter.

Well, to be fair, you also did say there was "no need to worry" about stepping on the flap on a Cherokee. Which does conflict with the statement "don't step on it unless it's unavoidable".

Well, to be fair, you also did say there was "no need to worry" about stepping on the flap on a Cherokee. Which does conflict with the statement "don't step on it unless it's unavoidable".

I don’t think it conflicts. I really don’t worry about stepping on the flap if I have to but I don’t go out of my way to step on it either.

In all the years I’ve flown and maintained Piper products I’ve never seen a problem related to flaps and people stepping on them.

The wing walk is the section of the right wing of a PA-28, about the 2-3 ft closest to the fuselage. It is right outside the door and is the part you walk on to board....

everyone knows what a wing walk is. people were questioning what a 'rear wing walk' was that the OP mentioned. I think they are trying to determine if it is towards the flap or the actual flap itself, which as some people have pointed out, is actually ok to step on if the flaps are up (not that I ever intentionally stepped on it but I believe was ok to do so).

hey look, there's one parked and notice the flap?
Planes also look kind of bad ass with the flaps down.. so it's a win:win

--
By the way, are we sure the PA28 sanctions walking on the wing? I don't have a POH out but I've always been taught not to, and I've seen quite a few PA28 with the nonskid missing on the flap, that's a pretty obvious sign (to me) not to use that part of the wing to step on

Courtesy of a minimal effort Google search
upload_2020-5-5_15-55-4.png

By the way, are we sure the PA28 sanctions walking on the wing? I don't have a POH out but I've always been taught not to, and I've seen quite a few PA28 with the nonskid missing on the flap, that's a pretty obvious sign (to me) not to use that part of the wing to step on

You might be better served by looking at an airplane with a factory paint job. There are numerous pictures all over Piper's website with the wing walk non skid paint continued onto the flap. Plus, as I mentioned above, if you look closely at the flap you can see the reinforcement that Piper added to the right flap to allow for stepping on it that is missing from the left one.

If there is only one crack and not too big, a small patch would be far easier and cheaper. If an old piece of the corrugated sheet was found, that would make the patch even easier. :)

Last edited:
From the Cherokee POH “The flaps are manually operated, balanced for light operating forces and spring-loaded to return to the up position. A past- center lock incorporated in the actuating linkage holds the flap when it is in the up position so that it may be used as a step on the right side. The flap will not support a step load except when in the full up position, so it must be completely retracted when used as a step” If people prefer not to use it as a step, no problem. I just don’t get when folks use the POH as gospel unless it contradicts a belief.

Now that this settles the flap matter, how about actually helping the OP.
Hard to offer any real help when nobody knows what the ‘rear wing walk’ is actually referring to. :rolleyes:

There are two skin sections, one forward of the spar, one aft of the spar. I bet the OP is probably referring to the skin aft of the spar.

There is a doubler plate below the skin that is prone to cracking. It probably makes sense to replace both the fore and aft sections while you're at it. I've heard it's in the neighborhood of $5K

Thank You Wallboy,

Yes this is the wing walk area of the aircraft, I did not step on the flap. As the video shows there are to sections to the Wing Walk area that are reinforced. a rearward section and a forward section.
Now that we have all the misunderstands about which area it is ....has anyone had this repair done to their aircraft ??? and if so what were the labour hours ??? and associated costs..

Cheers,

Thanx Wallboy,
Exactly I'm from Canada, but I do spend lots of time in the USA for vacations and cave diving and yes we have different designations on our side of the border as yes I know you cant walk on the wing ha ha.
So now does anyone have any helpful comments ????

Back