Windows 10 Free Upgrade.....

Getonit

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Well my 1.5 year old Lenovo with Windows 7 is now always popping up on some type of upgrade to Windows 10 in the notification bar. They say it is a free upgrade, etc. I am usually not on the bleeding edge of technology because I find that it usually doesn't work anyway or provides zero or negative additional benefit. Chime in. Too lazy to google search it for now.

We're using it on a couple machines. I like it.

Doesn't add much in the way of features but it is rock stable even in pre-release.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend switching on day one, but I think it's progress.

Doesn't add much in the way of features but it is rock stable even in pre-release.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend switching on day one, but I think it's progress.

What are the major differences between 8 & 10? (don't say "2":D)

The guys out front are the ones with arrows in their chests. Wait.

If you want to run a Garmin G1000 PC Trainer (or other trainers from Garmin), as of this moment they don't support anything beyond Win 7.

Pass for now, the free upgrade will be available for a year. In the history of windows there has never been a reason to upgrade a machine that was running the previous version nicely. Doing an "over-install" can be troublesome and a full, fresh, install can take a long time. Unless you're a bleeding-edge geek, just consider waiting on 10 until it comes on your next new computer.

We've been using 10 for 6+ months... It is nice but won't rock anyone's life. It has NOT been rock-steady, but is improving every week. Most tech writers are surprised how much it is changing this close to the release date.

How's the old saying go, was it "Never fly the "A" model of anything"?

We've been using 10 for 6+ months... It is nice but won't rock anyone's life. It has NOT been rock-steady, but is improving every week. Most tech writers are surprised how much it is changing this close to the release date.
This.

Is anyone that is currently using Windows 10 also running in to the annoying (but minor) problem of having to enter your password twice when unlocking your computer? I always do a Windows-L whenever I step away. Since the last update of my Windows 10 technical preview, every time I return and unlock the computer screen I have to enter the password, then hit ctrl-alt-del again, and enter the password again. Otherwise it just sits there and mocks my feeble attempt to compute.

There hasn't been any improvement in Windows since XP SP3 :D

I have 7 on a number of workstations and it is rock solid.

8, unless used on a tablet is simply annoying. I keep getting the 'free upgrade' notifications, I treat them the same as solicitations from some nigerian prince to help him in moving his millions.

8, unless used on a tablet is simply annoying. I keep getting the 'free upgrade' notifications, I treat them the same as solicitations from some nigerian prince to help him in moving his millions.
8 was a horrible experience in how not to create a user-friendly windows upgrade.

What are the major differences between 8 & 10? (don't say "2":D)
The return of a Start Menu after the debacle of Windiws 8.

One of the things I've read about 10 is that, as a system designed to run on tablets as well as PCs, it is less of a resource hog than earlier versions. I have a spare laptop (not that old; it came with Vista) that has been running 10 successfully but not with hard daily use. I also gave it a shot on an ancient laptop that I think goes back to the earliest days of XP and will barely work with one of the "slim" Linux distributions. I was surprised when 10 even installed on it, but it did. Not really usable, but I think it's the age and hardware issues due to the level to which this particular laptop had been used and abused through the years. It no longer worked that well in XP either.

I'm running 8.1 with Classic Shell, and it's working fine for me, so I disabled the upgrade notification. I have no opinion about 10 one way or the other, but Microsoft's aggressive push to give it away for free makes me suspicious. I'll wait and let others be the guinea pigs.

Rich

but Microsoft's aggressive push to give it away for free makes me suspicious. I'll wait and let others be the guinea pigs.

Rich

I think they are trying to gain an edge of some kind with users. especially those that got wronged by Windows 8 of which I still have not even touched.

David

I think they are trying to gain an edge of some kind with users. especially those that got wronged by Windows 8 of which I still have not even touched.

David
I think that's a lot of it. And most of it involves the start menu issue which is why Classic Shell and similar apps are so popular.

David

I have used Win8 on two laptops, mine which has a touchscreen, and a cheapie one for a boat that didn't. Without a touchscreen, Win8 is nothing short of annoying and frustrating. With a touch screen it's fine. I wouldn't have 8 without a touch screen and was wondering if 10 was the same way.

I have 8.1 on several machines, some touch screen, some not, and find it just fine. I usually use the desktop interface.
I'll upgrade to 10 pretty quickly after it is out.

I think they are trying to gain an edge of some kind with users.
I think it is probably a Trojan horse and that they are planning to move to a subscription model. Users will be forced to pay in order to keep what they already have.

I think it is probably a Trojan horse and that they are planning to move to a subscription model. Users will be forced to pay in order to keep what they already have.

:yes: :yeahthat:

I have used Win8 on two laptops, mine which has a touchscreen, and a cheapie one for a boat that didn't. Without a touchscreen, Win8 is nothing short of annoying and frustrating. With a touch screen it's fine. I wouldn't have 8 without a touch screen and was wondering if 10 was the same way.

Without a pointing device, Win 8 doesn't work well. But I've have no problems on a desktop machine. I just move the stuff I use to the center of the screen so I don't have to look for it and it is easy to use.

I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable price for a subscription to a security update service, but if they implement it such that not buying a subscription bricks your system, then I will be switching to Linux or Mac for Internet access.

I recently bought a new machine with Win 7 specifically to allow continued use of a legacy 32-bit application which, in later "updates," got bloated and abandoned its original mission, then finally went to a subscription model (CoolEdit Pro 2.0/Adobe Audition).

The last thing I need is an operating system which might also go subscription.

I question the whole free upgrade deal. Just because people didn't like Windows 8? I don't buy it. Are millions of people wanting to switch the OS on their Dell's to Mac OSX because Microsoft done them bad? There has to be more to Win 10 and it has to be about money. If they aren't selling it to me then they are getting my money somewhere else. The always connected, forced updates, mandatory Microsoft account are probably clues. Force users to use the services that they want you to. You'll use OneDrive with Win 10 whether you want to or not and I'm sure there are other things.
I think they are trying to be like Macintosh. All things to all people, that is unless you want to mess with stuff.

The free upgrade is a limited time thing meant to expedite the adoption of 10. Based on the street noise, it's working. Best guess is that, in the future, Windows may be free, with extra features being unlocked via subscription. Makes sense... the "Freemium" business model. While I, and most customers, initially disliked the idea of the Office 365 subscription plan, it seems to be accepted (even liked) by most now.

My Windows 7 machines will stay with Windows 7. I hate Windows 8 and 8.1 and those machines will upgrade to Windows 10. It can't be any worse.

"Doesn't add much... but I think it's progress."

ROFLMAO.

Man does my industry have y'all snowed. It's amazing.

The thing to remember is that Microsoft has to get ahead of a moving market. They know the consumer money is in apps and marketplaces, not consumer os platforms. Enterprise is another beast.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I gave a notebook, came with 8 updated to 8.1 and it crawls every time I turn it on. It is a candidate for 10. I run it in the revisionary desktop mode. My desktop PC is 7 and runs great, it stays on 7 for a long time to come.

I'm getting the "upgrade" notice on both. An article this week says that 10 will be sent out in increments. Beta testers first that have been running the pre release versions, then those that "reserve " and then everyone else. That icon prompt just gets you on the reserve list.

The thing to remember is that Microsoft has to get ahead of a moving market. They know the consumer money is in apps and marketplaces, not consumer os platforms. Enterprise is another beast.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

They also know their phone blows and that's where the app money is made. They announced layoffs of 7800 people in the former Nokia division trying to stem the bleeding there, today.

They also know their phone blows and that's where the app money is made. They announced layoffs of 7800 people in the former Nokia division trying to stem the bleeding there, today.
They're also trying to develop the PC market and culture to mirror the phone. Steam and origin helped with that a little, but they have the name to make it even more prominent in the rest of the market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I got the GWX.exe virus as well, last night. It cannot be removed (although I have admin privileges on my Win7 PC, I must have permission from 'TrustedInstaller' to delete the virus files).
And I cannot find out who executes it (it is not in the registry or StartUp menu) to disable it. Google is next to help me get rid of this obnoxious joke.

Way to go, Microsoft, by annoying the c*ap out of your already-disgruntled users, not a good method to attract business. :)

I got the GWX.exe virus as well, last night. It cannot be removed (although I have admin privileges on my Win7 PC, I must have permission from 'TrustedInstaller' to delete the virus files).
And I cannot find out who executes it (it is not in the registry or StartUp menu) to disable it. Google is next to help me get rid of this obnoxious joke.

Way to go, Microsoft, by annoying the c*ap out of your already-disgruntled users, not a good method to attract business. :)

Just uninstall update KB 3035583. Then the next time that update is offered to you, select the option to hide it so that it won't be offered to you again.

If you have updates set to install automatically, I'm not sure how to prevent it from reinstalling itself.

Last edited:
They're also trying to develop the PC market and culture to mirror the phone. Steam and origin helped with that a little, but they have the name to make it even more prominent in the rest of the market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not quite following you here. From my viewpoint they:

- Tried to build a phone. And failed miserably. Doubled down buying Nokia, still failed.

- Mandated internally that the desktop OS should waste all the lovely pixels of good desktop monitors on the Fisher-Price phone interface so they all "match", completely forgetting that a desktop is not a phone.

- Laid off the phone engineers because the phone interface didn't just blow chunks, it put them in a potato launcher and aimed them at their customers. Flying puke at high velocity.

- Now are stuck with an interface on the desktop that directly caused the layoff of 7800 people, and seem to still want to assault my eyeballs with it.

See Windows Server 2012 R2 for an example. Total waste of desktop real estate. Win 8/8.1/10, same problem.

They had to turn the ability to get back to a useful desktop UI back on before people came after them with pitchforks.

Admins simply ignore all of it, open a command line window and hide in Powershell all day.

- Tried to build a phone. And failed miserably. Doubled down buying Nokia, still failed.

I actually thought they did pretty well with the phone market. Their OS was actually pretty intuitive. I say this as a Linux guy and a devout Android user. Their weak point has been the market. Without apps, the phone is subpar, absolutely.

- Mandated internally that the desktop OS should waste all the lovely pixels of good desktop monitors on the Fisher-Price phone interface so they all "match", completely forgetting that a desktop is not a phone.

Big mistake, yes. Fortunately they're coming around with 10 on this one. I just taught people to pretend the Metro interface was a big start menu and adjust their flow around that and it worked pretty well (enough) with 8.1. I only run Windows on a few of my machines, so I suppose I just didn't use it enough for it to be a giant PITA.

- Laid off the phone engineers because the phone interface didn't just blow chunks, it put them in a potato launcher and aimed them at their customers. Flying puke at high velocity.

I still don't think it was *that* terrible lol

- Now are stuck with an interface on the desktop that directly caused the layoff of 7800 people, and seem to still want to assault my eyeballs with it.

Yeah, that's not cool... the layoffs anyways. Nokia hasn't been in a good place in a decade, though.

See Windows Server 2012 R2 for an example. Total waste of desktop real estate. Win 8/8.1/10, same problem.

I know... but that's why I install core wherever I can. Unfortunately the limitations on core with some of the fundamental roles/features sucks.

They had to turn the ability to get back to a useful desktop UI back on before people came after them with pitchforks.

You mean the windows key to get from metro start to aero shell?

Admins simply ignore all of it, open a command line window and hide in Powershell all day.

Yep... but generally that's to open putty ;)

Yeah... That article is nothing but poor speculation and FUD.
Of course it's speculation, as are your posts. But that particular author has a lot of industry experience to support his credibility. Probably quite a bit more than anyone on POA.

The renting software model has become the holy grail of the software publishing industry. Selling new releases by adding arcane and useless features is a dying strategy. Everyone is watching Adobe's experiment with CC.

Of course it's speculation, as are your posts. But that particular author has a lot of industry experience to support his credibility. Probably quite a bit more than anyone on POA.

The renting software model has become the holy grail of the software publishing industry. Selling new releases by adding arcane and useless features is a dying strategy. Everyone is watching Adobe's experiment with CC.

You'll notice that not a single article speculating subscription-models has a source any newer than last year... well before MS announced that it'd be free.

Additionally, most of those sources are talking about the cancelled Windows 9 project. Microsoft has been talking about Win10 being free for a lot longer than that. What I've heard from the horse's mouth is that they're trying to adapt with the market and the consumer OS isn't where that is... Notice that Apple's OS costs have sharply declined, as well. MS is just trying to protect market share and get people up to newer things that they can support and sell you things for. Getting people off of XP is a huge concern there.

Back