Wind turbine farms with blinking lights

You guys with windmills are lucky.

Less than a mile from the airport we have a big field of solar panels that are not lit at night...
I bet they’re lit during the day…

You guys with windmills are lucky.

Less than a mile from the airport we have a big field of solar panels that are not lit at night...

Solar farms in the desert Southwest blow my blood pressure through the roof. To those that believe they're necessary and beneficial, it's just barren worthless land. The reality is that the desert is teeming with animal and plant life, and covering thousands of acres of that pristine ecosystem with solar panels is eventually going to destroy it.

It's not just the solar farms that damages the desert. The construction of these monstrosities requires hundreds of miles of roads and service corridors, and the accepted method is to build them with bulldozers, scrapers, and graders ripping through the fragile soil without regard for the destruction they cause. It kills animals and plants, and causes massive erosion when summer thunderstorms dump several inches of rain in a couple of hours.

All this for power generation that is online less than 30% of the day over time.

I grew up in that desert, and witnessing this rape of a national treasure is sickening. I'm glad it's unlikely I'll be driving or flying through Gallup in the future. Seeing these travesties desecrate the beautiful sandstone formations and expanses of red soil would sicken me.

space mirrors sending concentrated light down to collectors on the ground - don't need much acerage.

(ignore the potential misuse of the concentrated light - *cough* SAPL or UNG *cough*)

Back