Win 10

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
Well I went and did it.:( MY first impression is that I allowed my PC to become a billboard for advertisers worldwide. Should I wish to play solitaire I can choose between a monthly or a yearly charge.:mad2:

I guess I screwed up.

Paul
Salome. AZ

What advertisements? My laptop has 10 on it and I don't see anything other than Microsoft pushing its own apps. Please elaborate further if I am missing something.

I like 10 better than 8.1. Laptop had 8.1 for maybe 2 days before I put 10 on it forcefully back in July. Haven't looked back since.

Desktop has 7 and will continue to do so because I use Windows Media Center for my cable box.

David

Last edited:
Still using 8.1. I'm pretty sure I'll switch to Mac before I let MS snoop on me. I have enough people looking over my shoulder trying to figure out how to sell me ****.

Rich

I get that damn offer to download Windows 10 every time I power up my Windows 7 computer. :mad2:

I'm sticking with 7 because of Media Center.

I allowed my Win 8.1 laptop to move to Win10. No issues, but then I don't play MS games.
Maybe I should check it out.

you have 30 days to roll back to whatever you had before... just search for "recovery options".

Last edited:
Still using 8.1. I'm pretty sure I'll switch to Mac before I let MS snoop on me. I have enough people looking over my shoulder trying to figure out how to sell me ****.

Rich

Switching to Mac ain't any better! What irritates me about Macs is that they try and pass them off as being the go-to platform for artists and free thinkers, yet, they have the worst vendor lock-in of them all! You can customize your Mac, but to the limits that Apple allows you to!

Sorry...I see a reference to Macs and I get on my high-horse. :lol:

The most annoying thing I've got with the Win10 upgrade is the thing keeps hijacking my default browser back to the "piece of crap formerly known as internet explorer" rather than keeping it set to chrome.

Switching to Mac ain't any better! What irritates me about Macs is that they try and pass them off as being the go-to platform for artists and free thinkers, yet, they have the worst vendor lock-in of them all! You can customize your Mac, but to the limits that Apple allows you to!

Sorry...I see a reference to Macs and I get on my high-horse. :lol:

That part of it wouldn't bother me because I really use very few programs. I use the Adobe Creative Cloud stuff (which will ALWAYS be available for Mac), Web browsers, and an SSH client.

The only part that turned me off about Mac (other than the hefty price) was the relative difficulty of getting the things fixed when they broke; and I've found a shop in Connecticut that will push you to the front of the line in return for extra money, so that problem's solved. I'm also not that crazy about the GUI, but I could live with it if I had to.

At this point it's just a business decision for me. I'm waiting to see if MS decides to come to its senses with regard to the snooping and forced updates before I cough up the coin for a change. I have time to wait. I've disabled the forced upgrade so many ways that I'm not even sure MS knows my machines exist anymore.

Rich

I was forced to install WinX on a test machine at work.
Biggest POC I've seen (and I have a gaiPad!!).
The first thing that you can customize after installation are advertisements and spying levels. Love it. Hey, at least they tell you up front, right? :)
The UI is horrendous, can't find Jack Schitt, adjusting screen resolution takes about 2 dozen clicks, no customizations whatsoever.
I will stick with good ol' XP at home and suffer through the broken Win7 at work.

I am building a new PC this winter, I am really looking fwd to installing Linux. :yes: Cmdline FTW!! :D

Windows 7 is still running on my primary PC at home. As long as Microsoft continues to issue security patches for it, I think I'll stick with it. It works well enough, and with the internal SSD it's really responsive. I just don't see a compelling reason to upgrade.

I loaded Linux Mint17 on and old XP Netbook, works fine and comes with a ton of imbedded software for web, mail, LibreOffice, GIMP etc. and the list keeps going.

The XP netbook could not handle Win10. My desktop is Win7 and I have a Notebook running Win10 that is working fine. But I don't use it much.

I just did the upgrade and I hate it.
It is so ugly and non intuitive.

If you are going to add a bunch of s**t, at least allow the option of using the old s**t.

I just did the upgrade and I hate it.
It is so ugly and non intuitive.

If you are going to add a bunch of s**t, at least allow the option of using the old s**t.

You can, you can make your old Win7 desktop the default configuration.

I was forced to install WinX on a test machine at work.
Biggest POC I've seen (and I have a gaiPad!!).
The first thing that you can customize after installation are advertisements and spying levels. Love it. Hey, at least they tell you up front, right? :)
The UI is horrendous, can't find Jack Schitt, adjusting screen resolution takes about 2 dozen clicks, no customizations whatsoever.
I will stick with good ol' XP at home and suffer through the broken Win7 at work.

I am building a new PC this winter, I am really looking fwd to installing Linux. :yes: Cmdline FTW!! :D

BTW, Linux has a newly discovered gaping security hole, although it apparently can only be accessed by people who have physical access to the machine.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to...=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

BTW, Linux has a newly discovered gaping security hole, although it apparently can only be accessed by people who have physical access to the machine.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to...=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

Physical access to any machine and it's "game over" security-wise. Always been thus. Unless you've encrypted the drive at the low level and need a pass phrase to even boot the thing and unencrypt it, give me physical access to any machine and I'll own it in ten minutes. Might need a butter knife to use as a screwdriver if I forgot my pocket knife.

Sun boxes once twenty years ago would allow you to hold down the space bar at the login prompt from a telnet session until the buffer overflowed and let you in to a root prompt.

Here's a hint: Software engineers haven't gotten any smarter in two decades.

The bugs still have the same broken thought processes behind them, and "code reuse" to make code better and better (always the promise) doesn't happen because coders need to eat and love making up new languages to tell machines to **** up in the same old ways, as if it were somehow better than it once was.

Ooh the new shiny language is out! That'll fix it!

WinX - played with a test machine. UI didn't make me want to complexly claw my eyeballs out like Win8/8.1 always does. I guess that's a plus.

Haven't seen much useful and new in the way of UI out of a desktop OS in a very long time. And none seem to be doing anything particularly compelling or interesting at the traditional real jobs of an OS, like hardware management or storage management.

It's all kinda one big mediocre yawn at this point. It's hit critical mass where it doesn't really get any better, we just get more of it.

I realized tonight that a $49 Kindle Fire would completely replace my iPad if it weren't for Foreflight. Not a damn thing it can't do that the iPad can. Other than FF. Was just looking because that $49 subsidized price point is amazing.

I still want "Internet Janitor" on my business cards.

Here's a hint: Software engineers haven't gotten any smarter in two decades.

The bugs still have the same broken thought processes behind them, and "code reuse" to make code better and better (always the promise) doesn't happen because coders need to eat and love making up new languages to tell machines to **** up in the same old ways, as if it were somehow better than it once was.

My uncle has the same attitude. He used to be a FORTRAN developer. Made tons of money back in the day but he's out of work for the last 5 years because he refuses to learn anything new.

My Windows 7 machine stays with 7. It runs and I'm happy with it. Everything else either came with 10 or 8 (8.1). If it had 8 or 8.1 on it I couldn't switch to 10 fast enough. I HATE Windows 8 and 8.1. A tablet OS (probably a decent one, at that) forced on laptops and PCs. A BIG mistake by the idiots in Redmond.

8 or 8.1 is perfectly fine if you install ClassicShell and disable the Metro Screen - which is easily done with ClassicShell

Well I went and did it.:( MY first impression is that I allowed my PC to become a billboard for advertisers worldwide. Should I wish to play solitaire I can choose between a monthly or a yearly charge.:mad2:

I guess I screwed up.

Paul
Salome. AZ

I'm thinking I may very well go to Linux before going to Windows 10. It is clear to me that Microsoft wants to get into the advertising business, one look at the newer version of Skype makes that very clear.

The privacy concerns are something to be very concerned about, talk about Big Brother!

I manage my companies network and i won't be going to Windows 10 in the office. I am hoping to retire before that becomes necessary.

My Windows 7 machine stays with 7. It runs and I'm happy with it. Everything else either came with 10 or 8 (8.1). If it had 8 or 8.1 on it I couldn't switch to 10 fast enough. I HATE Windows 8 and 8.1. A tablet OS (probably a decent one, at that) forced on laptops and PCs. A BIG mistake by the idiots in Redmond.

That same tablet kernel is running on servers now. I don't like Windows 8 or 8.1 or server 2012 or server 2012R2 and I won't go to Windows 10.

I'll stick with my Windows 7.

I'm thinking I may very well go to Linux before going to Windows 10. It is clear to me that Microsoft wants to get into the advertising business, one look at the newer version of Skype makes that very clear.

The privacy concerns are something to be very concerned about, talk about Big Brother!

I manage my companies network and i won't be going to Windows 10 in the office. I am hoping to retire before that becomes necessary.

As an aside, Win10 has spawned a cottage industry in applications to disable its spyware and some of its other more annoying "features."

Rich

As an aside, Win10 has spawned a cottage industry in applications to disable its spyware and some of its other more annoying "features."

Rich

Which probably violates the EULA if one bothers to read 297 pages of it. :rolleyes:

Which probably violates the EULA if one bothers to read 297 pages of it. :rolleyes:

From what I've read about Windows 10 Microsoft retains the right and ability to remove anything it wants from your Windows 10 computer. So I would imagine they will have a means of removing such apps that attempt to disable their spyware.

From what I've read about Windows 10 Microsoft retains the right and ability to remove anything it wants from your Windows 10 computer. So I would imagine they will have a means of disabling such apps that attempt to remove their spyware.

Actually, my understanding is that the choices to disable it are actually in Win10 already, albeit buried so deep that you need to hire a well digger to drill down to them. All the apps do is put all the options in one place.

Whether MS will switch them back at some point is anyone's guess, but they'd be taking a hell of a legal and PR risk if they did. Only Google seems to be able to get away with **** like that with impunity.

Cortana, I am told by friends who are still in that end of the biz, is the worst offender. Luckily, she's also easy to dispense with. I'm also told that if you never associate a Microsoft account with the computer (that is, you use a local login instead), that limits the snooping quite a bit.

Rich

Just in the grub boot loader. That really doesn't mean much since 99% of the time you could just use your own boot loader if you have physical access.

Whoever wrote that article has no idea what they're talking about:
Without GRUB password protection, an attacker could also boot a system from a live USB key, switching the operating system in order to access files stored on the machine's hard drives.
Booting from a live USB key has nothing to do with the grub loader on the hard drive. You don't even access the grub boot loader on the hard drive to do that.

When I first read that Microsoft was allowing people with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 for free I had to ask myself watch's the catch. From my experience anything that Microsoft offers for free is worth every penny you are paying for it.

In reality they are pushing this upgrade for the advertising and for the coming Microsoft app store. Remember folks, their primary purpose is to generate revenue. You don't do that by giving anything away for free. Their is a cost associated with everything Microsoft.

My uncle has the same attitude. He used to be a FORTRAN developer. Made tons of money back in the day but he's out of work for the last 5 years because he refuses to learn anything new.

Poor guy. One does have to keep up a little bit because execs are trained by their schools and trade rags that new tech is better than old tech, and have not a single clue that even their own hand picked CTOs know there isn't any real new tech behind those glossy ads in the trade rags.

UNIX shells seem to be pretty much timeless. Not much in the back end where the real money is made or saved that can't be written in a shell script.

Opportunity knocks.

From what I've read about Windows 10 Microsoft retains the right and ability to remove anything it wants from your Windows 10 computer. So I would imagine they will have a means of removing such apps that attempt to disable their spyware.

And is killed by a rental software agreement.

Or not. It's pretty easy to mount things read only and wait to see if they have the balls to meddle with file system permissions when you publish it with hard evidence. Certain organizations that don't want third parties messing with their data might have a friendly chat with them about that.

If anyone works in banking and sees Win10 being installed on your desktops, let me know so I can make sure I don't bank there. Ever again.

Actually, my understanding is that the choices to disable it are actually in Win10 already, albeit buried so deep that you need to hire a well digger to drill down to them. All the apps do is put all the options in one place.

Whether MS will switch them back at some point is anyone's guess, but they'd be taking a hell of a legal and PR risk if they did. Only Google seems to be able to get away with **** like that with impunity.

Cortana, I am told by friends who are still in that end of the biz, is the worst offender. Luckily, she's also easy to dispense with. I'm also told that if you never associate a Microsoft account with the computer (that is, you use a local login instead), that limits the snooping quite a bit.

Rich

I know some things can be disabled if you can find the settings. As an example Microsoft has gone to a distributed computing model for updates in order to save money on bandwidth. That means you get your updates from other peoples computers and by default you allow other people to get their updates from you. You have the ability to change the setting to prevent your computer from serving updates to other users but you do not have the ability to get updates from Microsoft only. You have no choice but to get your updates from other users. I wonder how that will work if everyone decides not to serve updates to other users.

From what I can see Windows 10 is a very bad idea unless you are Microsoft.

I know some things can be disabled if you can find the settings. As an example Microsoft has gone to a distributed computing model for updates in order to save money on bandwidth. That means you get your updates from other peoples computers and by default you allow other people to get their updates from you. You have the ability to change the setting to prevent your computer from serving updates to other users but you do not have the ability to get updates from Microsoft only. You have no choice but to get your updates from other users. I wonder how that will work if everyone decides not to serve updates to other users.

Going to work out GREAT once folks figure out how to manipulate what their machines are sending, or create software that mimics a Windows machine and hands out malware... probably about a day worth of work to do with a copy of netcat and a Linux box.

Assuming MSFT is encrypting and signing files properly is maybe the only thing that will stop that...

The very last thing I want my computer doing is asking some nincompoop's machine full of malware for its updates.

Oh, I agree. That's why I'm still on 8.1. With Classic Shell, it's usable.

Rich

Since I am not familiar with classic shell can you tell me if it will work on the 2012 servers?

It's not supported on any Windows server OS. I've been told it will work, but it's not supported, and I personally have never tried installing it on a server.

Actually, I don't think I've ever even used Windows Server 2012, period. I've been out of that end of the business for a while. Is the Server 2012 GUI all that different from previous server versions?

Rich

It's not supported on any Windows server OS. I've been told it will work, but it's not supported, and I personally have never tried installing it on a server.

Actually, I don't think I've ever even used Windows Server 2012, period. I've been out of that end of the business for a while. Is the Server 2012 GUI all that different from previous server versions?

Rich

Yes, the server 2012 GUI is much like Windows 8 and the server 2012R2 is much like Windows 8.1. I hate them both and I've been tempted to down grade to server 2008R2. I don't see the advantage of a tablet OS on a server but the tablet kernel has been carried across all the products. Then there are issues with incompatibility with certain version of software such as versions of Exchange and outlook. I was happy with the 2003 version of server and Exchange other than the lack of 64 bit.

Yes, the server 2012 GUI is much like Windows 8 and the server 2012R2 is much like Windows 8.1. I hate them both and I've been tempted to down grade to server 2008R2. I don't see the advantage of a tablet OS on a server but the tablet kernel has been carried across all the products. Then there are issues with incompatibility with certain version of software such as versions of Exchange and outlook. I was happy with the 2003 version of server and Exchange other than the lack of 64 bit.

Well that's horrible. I'd make a backup and try installing it on a weekend. I can't imagine trying to manage a server that looks lik a phone.

Rich

Back