Will/Is Aeroflot Banned in US Space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably wrong, but it's my understanding that the Russians are particular about their vodka.

My observation, from a fair number of visits to Russia, is that if anything is liquid, comes in a bottle, and it makes you drunk if you consume a bottle, well then, it meets the requirement for most folks.

My observation, from a fair number of visits to Russia, is that if anything is liquid, comes in a bottle, and it makes you drunk if you consume a bottle, well then, it meets the requirement for most folks.

Great biography and good insight to the Russian people. One thing I gained from Reading it is, most of the country is in a perpetual state of drunkenness. Crew chiefs siphoning brake fluid just to make an intoxicating drink. Unbelievable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiG_Pilot:_The_Final_Escape_of_Lieutenant_Belenko

There's a twitter feed that tracks the private jets of the Russian oligarchs. Very interesting sleuthing using ADSB data:

https://twitter.com/RUOligarchJets

For example, Alisher Usmanov owns an Airbus A-340 that he recently moved to Uzbekistan, presumably to keep it safe. (Elsewhere I read that Germany seized one of his super yachts today, so I suppose he's got a reason to try to keep his Airbus out of reach.)

Even more interesting, it's a 19-year-old in Florida who is doing this research and posting it.

Last edited:
!FDC 2/9510 ZZZ PART 1 OF 2 SECURITY...SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS (SSI) PROHIBITION ON RUSSIAN FLIGHT OPERATIONS IN THE TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE OF THE U.S. PURSUANT TO 49 USC SECTIONS 40103 AND 40113(A), ALL RUSSIAN AIR CARRIERS AND COMMERCIAL OPERATORS, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF REGISTRY OF THE AIRCRAFT; ALL AIRCRAFT REGISTERED IN THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION; ALL RUSSIAN STATE AIRCRAFT, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF REGISTRY OF THE AIRCRAFT; AND ALL AIRCRAFT, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF REGISTRY, OWNED, CHARTERED, LEASED, OPERATED OR CONTROLLED BY, FOR, OR FOR THE BENEFIT OF, A PERSON WHO IS A CITIZEN OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION ARE PROHIBITED FROM OPERATING TO, FROM, WITHIN, OR THROUGH U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE, EXCEPT FOR AIRCRAFT ENGAGED IN HUMANITARIAN OR SAR OPERATIONS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED BY THE FAA, STATE AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS GRANTED A DIPLOMATIC CLEARANCE BY THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE AND AIRCRAFT EXPERIENCING IN-FLIGHT EMERGENCIES. ALL EXCEPTED AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS UNDER THIS NOTAM MUST RECEIVE APPROPRIATE ECONOMIC AUTHORIZATION FROM THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION PRIOR TO CONDUCTING FLIGHT OPERATIONS TO, FROM, WITHIN, OR THROUGH U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE. AIRCRAFT OPERATORS SUBJECT TO THIS NOTAM WHO DO NOT COMPLY WITH 2203030200-2205252359 END PART 1 OF 2 !FDC 2/9510 ZZZ PART 2 OF 2 SECURITY...SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS (SSI) THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY BE INTERCEPTED, AND THEIR PILOTS AND OTHER CREWMEMBERS DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT OR SECURITY PERSONNEL, AS APPROPRIATE. ALL PREVIOUSLY OBTAINED FAA AUTHORIZATIONS FOR AIRCRAFT AND OPERATIONS SUBJECT TO THIS NOTAM ARE REVOKED.
OPERATORS SUBJECT TO THIS NOTAM WISHING TO OBTAIN AN FAA AUTHORIZATION TO OPERATE IN U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE MUST SUBMIT A REQUEST TO THE FAA SYSTEM OPERATIONS SUPPORT CENTER (SOSC) AT 1-202-267-8276 OR EMAIL 9-ATOR-HQ-SOSC@FAA.GOV. REQUESTS FOR DOT ECONOMIC AUTHORIZATION MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL AVIATION AT SCHEDULEFILING@DOT.GOV. SFC-UNL
What does “…ECONOMIC AUTHORIZATION…” mean?

There's a twitter feed that tracks the private jets of the Russian oligarchs. Very interesting sleuthing using ADSB data:

For example, Alisher Usmanov owns an Airbus A-340 that he recently moved to Uzbekistan, presumably to keep it safe. (Elsewhere I read that Germany seized one of his super yachts today, so I suppose he's got a reason to try to keep his Airbus out of reach.)

Even more interesting, it's a 19-year-old in Florida who is doing this research and posting it.

Same kid who is tracking Musk and others.

What does “…ECONOMIC AUTHORIZATION…” mean?
It’s more often called economic authority. At its simplest, the US DOT issues economic authority when it determines that an applicant is “fit, willing, and able” to conduct operations. It is a requirement for an operator to receive an air operator certificate in the US. The FAA cannot issue a certificate unless DOT had issued economic authority.

It’s more often called economic authority. At its simplest, the US DOT issues economic authority when it determines that an applicant is “fit, willing, and able” to conduct operations. It is a requirement for an operator to receive an air operator certificate in the US. The FAA cannot issue a certificate unless DOT had issued economic authority.
So like they gotta have insurance, or post bond, or something like that? They have to pay a fee? I’m still not getting it.

So like they gotta have insurance, or post bond, or something like that? They have to pay a fee? I’m still not getting it.
Insurance is part of it but I believe there is more to it. Googling it will provide more illumination than I can.

If you meant the connection from US providers to and from Russia, no, at least not as of this morning.

..that's what it reads like doesn't it..

"
AND ALL AIRCRAFT, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF REGISTRY, OWNED, CHARTERED, LEASED, OPERATED OR CONTROLLED BY, FOR, OR FOR THE BENEFIT OF, A PERSON WHO IS A CITIZEN OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION ARE PROHIBITED FROM OPERATING TO, FROM, WITHIN, OR THROUGH U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE, EXCEPT FOR AIRCRAFT ENGAGED IN HUMANITARIAN OR SAR OPERATIONS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED BY THE FAA, STATE AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS GRANTED A DIPLOMATIC CLEARANCE BY THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE AND AIRCRAFT EXPERIENCING IN-FLIGHT EMERGENCIES
"

..does that mean a Russian citizen here on a Visa is no longer able to take a flying lesson? Go on a skydiving plane? Hop on a SW jet to from Orlando to Chicago? That's certainly what it reads like..
Or a CFI with dual US/Russian citizenship can't instruct.

Actual question: Are these restrictions due to sanctions any different in severity than the ones we’ve applied to other sanctioned nations such as North Korea or Iran?

I checked the FAA website but it is, unsurprisingly, difficult to determine the exact nature of the sanctions on NK or Iran.

So how high does territorial airspace go? All the way to the edge of space? If so, which edge, the Karman line (62 miles) or the lesser FAA line (50 miles) that they awarded wings for? I guess since it’s a FAA NOTAM, they’d use the FAA line. Or is there a different measure for territorial airspace?

While we’re on the subject of Oligarchs, are Russian Oligarchs somehow worse than other Oligarchs? Is a ‘very rich business leader with great deal of political influence’ somehow uniquely Russian?

So how high does territorial airspace go? All the way to the edge of space? If so, which edge, the Karman line (62 miles) or the lesser FAA line (50 miles) that they awarded wings for? I guess since it’s a FAA NOTAM, they’d use the FAA line. Or is there a different measure for territorial airspace?
Near as I can tell they, meaning each country who has done this, has done it reference the sky over their Country. Altitudes not being explicitly referenced. I’m not seeing that they have extended it to ‘sky under their control.’ The world is divided, by ICAO, into pieces of sky controlled by the ATC of various Countries. Oakland Center’s Oceanic Sectors control a huge portion on the the Pacific. New York Center’s Oceanic Sectors, a big piece of the North Atlantic. Canada’s Gander Oceanic. Ireland’s Shanwick Oceanic, etc etc. Countries not allowing certain airplanes to land in the Domestic Borders of their Country, or overfly the the Domestic Borders of their Country, would have less impact than denying Clearances through all Airspace under their Control.

While we’re on the subject of Oligarchs, are Russian Oligarchs somehow worse than other Oligarchs? Is a ‘very rich business leader with great deal of political influence’ somehow uniquely Russian?
Which isn't necessarily bad. But can be very bad.

Whatever happened to the Golden Rule? Not everything Biden does do I endorse and that shouldn’t separate me from friends, family, or travel. I talked with a very nice older Russian couple traveling through Amarillo yesterday and they weren’t in favor of what Putin is doing. They were ashen faced looking at the TV at breakfast at the hotel.
If you want to go to war with Putin do it the way the founders said - vote in Congress to declare war and if not leave Russian citizens alone and stop this toying with breaking the commandment thou shall not steal.
"Thou shalt not murder tens of thousands of innocent people for no reason whatsoever" holds more weight with me as far as commandments go. Anything and everything to absolutely decimate Russia at this point.

Whatever happened to the Golden Rule? Not everything Biden does do I endorse and that shouldn’t separate me from friends, family, or travel. I talked with a very nice older Russian couple traveling through Amarillo yesterday and they weren’t in favor of what Putin is doing. They were ashen faced looking at the TV at breakfast at the hotel.
If you want to go to war with Putin do it the way the founders said - vote in Congress to declare war and if not leave Russian citizens alone and stop this toying with breaking the commandment thou shall not steal.

So rather than try and stop the senseless violence with non-violent economic tools, you'd rather send more people in to get slaughtered? I would hope the Russian people would also prefer economic sanctions and the associated hardship over WW3 and a death count 10-100x what they've seen so far, which would basically be the result of the US or other NATO countries declaring war on Russia.

I will also note that it was Congress that granted the president the power he is now using to sanction Russia via the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, so Congress has had its hand in this as well.

"That same evening, President Biden issued Executive Order 14065, which uses IEEPA [International Emergency Economic Powers Act] to sharply limit any trade and financial transactions involving the breakaway Ukrainian territories of Donetsk and Luhansk. It also blocks any assets that persons who operate in those regions have within the United States or U.S. financial institutions and limits their ability to enter the United States. The United States followed up with additional measures the next day. As Russian troops began to move into Ukraine, the United States imposed sanctions on a range of Russian financial institutions under Executive Order 14024 "

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-sanctions-has-world-put-russia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back