Will/Is Aeroflot Banned in US Space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourdough44

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
WI Flyer
I see Canada is investigating? Do we give them a few days then join a ban on Aeroflot flights & planes?

Just wondering where this stands? Seems kinda reasonable?

Canada claims Moscow-bound Aeroflot flight violated its airspace ban

https://mol.im/a/10559151

Why not make it a case-by-case basis? Isn’t it pretty much proven that plenty of Russians aren’t in favor of what is happening?

Canada is blocking them as well.

It's been a bit dicey for them to get their planes back.

Aeroflot flights in the air right now (evening in Moscow) are located entirely over just Russia, Belarus, and Turkey.

I see one flight that’s threading the needle of international airspace between Finland and Estonia to get from Moscow to Kaliningrad (non-contiguous part of European Russia).

This is easy to see on adsbexchange.com by adding a filter AFL for the airline.

Leave the airspace open and when a Russian owned plane lands in the US, seize it and send the flight crew to Cuba.

The EU 27 and the UK have banned all Russian aircraft from their airspace, including Russian registered private jets of the oligarchs. Would be very surprised if we don't follow suit. Not sure why we haven't yet for that matter.

Perhaps we're waiting for the strong followership position?

Whatever happened to the Golden Rule? Not everything Biden does do I endorse and that shouldn’t separate me from friends, family, or travel. I talked with a very nice older Russian couple traveling through Amarillo yesterday and they weren’t in favor of what Putin is doing. They were ashen faced looking at the TV at breakfast at the hotel.
If you want to go to war with Putin do it the way the founders said - vote in Congress to declare war and if not leave Russian citizens alone and stop this toying with breaking the commandment thou shall not steal.

Everyone has a different thought. I don't think it would help for us to go to war. But I'd be ok with an embargo up to and including eliminating outside sources of food, if it were possible. Planes and travel? Toys and luxuries.

The EU 27 and the UK have banned all Russian aircraft from their airspace, including Russian registered private jets of the oligarchs. Would be very surprised if we don't follow suit. Not sure why we haven't yet for that matter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60539303
https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/27/...aircraft-state-backed-media-ukraine-sanctions
Perhaps waiting for US nationals to leave Russia … if we ban their traffic , they will ban ours and lots of people would get stuck without a warning …

Perhaps waiting for US nationals to leave Russia … if we ban their traffic , they will ban ours and lots of people would get stuck without a warning …
Same would apply to EU member state citizens I presume though and there’s probably a lot more EU citizens in Russia than American.

Thare is no reason to rush …. frankly, why should we even bother given that they are pretty much already banned from the Western Hemisphere given all these Western European notams.

There was an article today, that banning the Russian planes leads to instant retaliation with polar routes to China. I’m not even saying what the outcome should be, generally side with the EU. I can also see the argument, since Europe is chopping off easy access, keep the polar routes as an option.

I doubt if riding the fence will work for long.

Hmm... trying to globally “cancel” a nation led by an increasingly erratic dictator with direct access to the largest nuclear arsenal on this planet .. we have never tried that before so I am curious how that will turn out.

Interesting times.

!FDC 2/9510 ZZZ PART 1 OF 2 SECURITY...SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS (SSI) PROHIBITION ON RUSSIAN FLIGHT OPERATIONS IN THE TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE OF THE U.S. PURSUANT TO 49 USC SECTIONS 40103 AND 40113(A), ALL RUSSIAN AIR CARRIERS AND COMMERCIAL OPERATORS, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF REGISTRY OF THE AIRCRAFT; ALL AIRCRAFT REGISTERED IN THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION; ALL RUSSIAN STATE AIRCRAFT, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF REGISTRY OF THE AIRCRAFT; AND ALL AIRCRAFT, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF REGISTRY, OWNED, CHARTERED, LEASED, OPERATED OR CONTROLLED BY, FOR, OR FOR THE BENEFIT OF, A PERSON WHO IS A CITIZEN OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION ARE PROHIBITED FROM OPERATING TO, FROM, WITHIN, OR THROUGH U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE, EXCEPT FOR AIRCRAFT ENGAGED IN HUMANITARIAN OR SAR OPERATIONS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED BY THE FAA, STATE AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS GRANTED A DIPLOMATIC CLEARANCE BY THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE AND AIRCRAFT EXPERIENCING IN-FLIGHT EMERGENCIES. ALL EXCEPTED AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS UNDER THIS NOTAM MUST RECEIVE APPROPRIATE ECONOMIC AUTHORIZATION FROM THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION PRIOR TO CONDUCTING FLIGHT OPERATIONS TO, FROM, WITHIN, OR THROUGH U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE. AIRCRAFT OPERATORS SUBJECT TO THIS NOTAM WHO DO NOT COMPLY WITH 2203030200-2205252359 END PART 1 OF 2 !FDC 2/9510 ZZZ PART 2 OF 2 SECURITY...SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS (SSI) THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY BE INTERCEPTED, AND THEIR PILOTS AND OTHER CREWMEMBERS DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT OR SECURITY PERSONNEL, AS APPROPRIATE. ALL PREVIOUSLY OBTAINED FAA AUTHORIZATIONS FOR AIRCRAFT AND OPERATIONS SUBJECT TO THIS NOTAM ARE REVOKED.
OPERATORS SUBJECT TO THIS NOTAM WISHING TO OBTAIN AN FAA AUTHORIZATION TO OPERATE IN U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE MUST SUBMIT A REQUEST TO THE FAA SYSTEM OPERATIONS SUPPORT CENTER (SOSC) AT 1-202-267-8276 OR EMAIL 9-ATOR-HQ-SOSC@FAA.GOV. REQUESTS FOR DOT ECONOMIC AUTHORIZATION MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL AVIATION AT SCHEDULEFILING@DOT.GOV. SFC-UNL

Hmm... trying to globally “cancel” a nation led by an increasingly erratic dictator with direct access to the largest nuclear arsenal on this planet .. we have never tried that before so I am curious how that will turn out.

Interesting times.

Not sure why you'd use the word "cancel" other than to get in on the latest whiny political bandwagon. There's already a word for what's happening; sanctions, as well as the freedom of companies to choose where they do business.

Interestingly, the way it's written seems to say that a Russian citizen in the US could not fly their own GA airplane, or even be a passenger in an airline or private aircraft.

Interesting times.

I presume you're making a reference to Cuba. Hardly the same issue. Other than some tourism dollars, Cuba wasn't reliant on the US for anything and unlike with Cuba, there's a larger part of the Russian foreign trade that is "cancelling" them.

Interestingly, the way it's written seems to say that a Russian citizen in the US could not fly their own GA airplane, or even be a passenger in an airline or private aircraft
..that's what it reads like doesn't it..

"
AND ALL AIRCRAFT, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF REGISTRY, OWNED, CHARTERED, LEASED, OPERATED OR CONTROLLED BY, FOR, OR FOR THE BENEFIT OF, A PERSON WHO IS A CITIZEN OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION ARE PROHIBITED FROM OPERATING TO, FROM, WITHIN, OR THROUGH U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE, EXCEPT FOR AIRCRAFT ENGAGED IN HUMANITARIAN OR SAR OPERATIONS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED BY THE FAA, STATE AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS GRANTED A DIPLOMATIC CLEARANCE BY THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE AND AIRCRAFT EXPERIENCING IN-FLIGHT EMERGENCIES
"

..does that mean a Russian citizen here on a Visa is no longer able to take a flying lesson? Go on a skydiving plane? Hop on a SW jet to from Orlando to Chicago? That's certainly what it reads like..

Interestingly, the way it's written seems to say that a Russian citizen in the US could not fly their own GA airplane, or even be a passenger in an airline or private aircraft.

I think oligarchs and the like are the main targets of this sanction. Similar restrictions were imposed earlier by the EU, with the intent of blocking oligarchs from travel if they have Russian citizenship, even if they are also a citizen of another country, as some are.

Currently hoarding russian dressing just in case....

ooohhh grab a recipe, experiment a little with the flavors you like, and start making your own. Way mo' betta!

not hoarding real vodka?

This isn't real vodka.??

8bd63063-0301-4c2d-98f0-21ab9254718f_1000.jpg

This isn't real vodka.??

I'm probably wrong, but it's my understanding that the Russians are particular about their vodka.

Kind of like the French and champagne, or Germans and their real beer.

Not sure why you'd use the word "cancel" other than to get in on the latest whiny political bandwagon. There's already a word for what's happening; sanctions, as well as the freedom of companies to choose where they do business.

Just semantics but.. sanctions generally imply certain level of premedication and long term planing to achieve certain geopolitical goals while “canceling” seems to be more predicated on corporate HR departments taking rush action during first-thing-in-the-morning meeting in response to prevailing PC fad driven by some real ( or imagined) immediate outrage propagated by social ( or otherwise ) media.

Yes, what is happening now can be described as combination of both.

Last edited:
..that's what it reads like doesn't it..

"
AND ALL AIRCRAFT, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF REGISTRY, OWNED, CHARTERED, LEASED, OPERATED OR CONTROLLED BY, FOR, OR FOR THE BENEFIT OF, A PERSON WHO IS A CITIZEN OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION ARE PROHIBITED FROM OPERATING TO, FROM, WITHIN, OR THROUGH U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE, EXCEPT FOR AIRCRAFT ENGAGED IN HUMANITARIAN OR SAR OPERATIONS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED BY THE FAA, STATE AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS GRANTED A DIPLOMATIC CLEARANCE BY THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE AND AIRCRAFT EXPERIENCING IN-FLIGHT EMERGENCIES
"

..does that mean a Russian citizen here on a Visa is no longer able to take a flying lesson? Go on a skydiving plane? Hop on a SW jet to from Orlando to Chicago? That's certainly what it reads like..
At least we aren’t tossing them in concentration camps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back