Will Garmin up their game to 12” displays?

John Spartan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Spartan
Dynon released their 12” display which looks pretty cool. I swear I came across a promo thing from Garmin a few years ago that suggested screens larger than 10” were a possible future release on the 3X line. Never saw it again and never found it again. So will Garmin up the game to 12” touch displays now?

Dynon released their 12” display which looks pretty cool. I swear I came across a promo thing from Garmin a few years ago that suggested screens larger than 10” were a possible future release on the 3X line. Never saw it again and never found it again. So will Garmin up the game to 12” touch displays now?
If all they do is increase screen size without increasing actual resolution then that is just a Pyrrhic victory …

If all they do is increase screen size without increasing actual resolution then that is just a Pyrrhic victory …
Not sure I agree completely. More screen real estate is always good even if they don’t bump res. That said, it’s reasonable to expect they would up the resolution if they’re going to commit to a larger screen size, but who knows.

Not sure I agree completely. More screen real estate is always good even if they don’t bump res. That said, it’s reasonable to expect they would up the resolution if they’re going to commit to a larger screen size, but who knows.
I guess it depends on what you consider to be "more real estate". My definition is that I can put more information on the screen. If all that's happening is magnifying what's on a 10" display so that it takes up 12" instead (which is what happens if the resolution remains the same), then to me, that's not more real estate--that's just a waste of panel space.

Last edited:
I agree, I used to fly a Piper Malibu with the 3-screen G1000 system, 2 10" PFDs and a 15" MFD in the middle. The MFD seemed to have about the same resolution as the PFDs. Which was fine when used as an MFD, but when you selected reversionary mode and it put all the PFD stuff on there as well, it was noticeably more pixelated than the PFD.

Meaning it had all the same stuff displayed as the PFDs, but just magnified. Same amount of screen real estate.

I don’t have the room for 12”, would be nice to have a faster processor to improve the database loading times.

c9dbb34920f870b845044c213d1a1970.jpg

I think there comes a point where the number of panels that can accept a larger display (either landscape or portrait) becomes small enough that’s it doesn’t make good business sense to offer the product.

Even then, more real estate without improved resolution doesn’t do much for you. B

I don’t have the room for 12”, would be nice to have a faster processor to improve the database loading times.
What the next generation of the G3X Touch really needs is an Ethernet connection to other Garmin avionics to support Database Sync. But in the meantime, I hope they put their time into making the database update software more reliable instead of bigger screen sizes. I think I spend an hour a month swearing at the Garmin Aviation Database Manager software for not recognizing that an SD card is in the computer without rebooting the entire system.

What the next generation of the G3X Touch really needs is an Ethernet connection to other Garmin avionics to support Database Sync. But in the meantime, I hope they put their time into making the database update software more reliable instead of bigger screen sizes. I think I spend an hour a month swearing at the Garmin Aviation Database Manager software for not recognizing that an SD card is in the computer without rebooting the entire system.
I think you can blame a lot of that on the microsoft crap pile....if you are apple user I apologize

The future G3X will likely stay with CanBus for panel upgrades.

Bet they will introduce a G3Xi with same form factor but higher resolution with a faster processor. Most certified aircraft can't mount a larger screen and the market size for 12" is niche. Maybe if the new experimental market is big enough.

I guess it depends on what you consider to be "more real estate". My definition is that I can put more information on the screen. If all that's happening is magnifying what's on a 10" display so that it takes up 12" instead (which is what happens if the resolution remains the same), then to me, that's not more real estate--that's just a waste of panel space.
Not for those whose vision is not what it used to be.

I’m waiting for the right mount for a 27 inch iPad

I expect a G3Xi to be announcing at Oshkosh. Faster processor, brighter higher resolution screen. Possibly HDSB.

Why? Because my new panel will be on a couple of months old. :D

Back