Will FlyQ ever have procedures routing on the flightplan?

Andrew

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Just getting back to flying after a couple years off... I've had a lifetime subscription to FlyQ for quite a while, and thought they'd have procedures routing added to the flightplan by now.

Maybe there's some patent issue or something, but being able to add procedure routing to the magenta line automatically would be pretty nice...

I used to really like FlyQ and also have a lifetime sub. I switched to Garmin Pilot when I bought a new plane and now FlyQ is like the stone age. I only keep it as a backup for when GP crashes.

I suspect they will. There is a merger pattern like WordPerfect and Word. Once distinct, they have come to mimic each other.

I have a lifetime subscription for FlyQ. I mostly use FF. I like the weather presentation on FlyQ better. I'm thinking about a dedicated iPad just showing FlyQ for the surface winds and winds aloft.

I use my lifetime FLYQ for everything and like it very much. I’m not sure of the utility of adding procedures to the flight plan as I’m flying the IFR navigator’s routing that includes the procedures. The FLYQ geo-referenced procedure charts tell me exactly where I am on the approach, and if coupled with traffic on a procedure overlay on the map in digital mode,I get everything I need.

Where adding procedures really shines is if you have a FlightStream. Add the procedure to your flight plan on the iPad, send to panel, activate the flight plan and it automagically appears on your 530/430.

On my 175, I do find value in being able to send a multi-waypoint flight plan from an app to the GPS (clearly more efficient than having to input multiple characters directly on the GPS), but what is the advantage of sending a procedure via an app compared to using the procedures button?

I don't see the value in sending an approach to the GPS. I see it in how Garmin Pilot helps with what STAR or DP to pick if I'm going into/out of a busy terminal area.

Where adding procedures really shines is if you have a FlightStream. Add the procedure to your flight plan on the iPad, send to panel, activate the flight plan and it automagically appears on your 530/430.

I think this capability is only on ForeFlight. Don’t see where FlyQ can do this to the Garmin products, only Avidyne.

I think this capability is only on ForeFlight. Don’t see where FlyQ can do this to the Garmin products, only Avidyne.
I think that's correct. I was replying to the statement about not seeing the value of sending the approach to the GPS. I certainly do.

I like FlyQ. I started with it when it was the AOPA flight planner. I bought the lifetime subscription. I think it's better suited to VFR than the others. But without approaches as part of the flight plan it's a weak second to FF for IFR.

I suspect that FlyQ will add the graphical approach data to the flight plan one day. Whether that can be transmitted to Garmin boxes is yet to be seen.

I think that's correct. I was replying to the statement about not seeing the value of sending the approach to the GPS. I certainly do.

I like FlyQ. I started with it when it was the AOPA flight planner. I bought the lifetime subscription. I think it's better suited to VFR than the others. But without approaches as part of the flight plan it's a weak second to FF for IFR.

I suspect that FlyQ will add the graphical approach data to the flight plan one day. Whether that can be transmitted to Garmin boxes is yet to be seen.

And I am hoping that FF converges and adds the time slider or temporal weather capability to flight paths. There are a couple of other apps that have that, but they are poor flight planners. They are a bit clunky compared to FF.

Back