Why?

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
OK, I have a new car with Sirius satellite radio in it.

I usually listen to my iPOD. On occasion when I do turn on Sirius, I flip through the channels.

On two separate recent occasions, my random flipping produced the song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon around the Old Oak Tree" by Tony Orlando and Dawn when I flipped to the 70s channel.

A few questions:

1. How on earth did a song about a guy getting out of jail become so popular? Were the 70s that bad?
2. Why is this (apparently) in frequent rotation on Sirius?
3. Whatever did happen to Tony Orlando, and Dawn? (not that I care really).
4. Who was Dawn, anyway?

Any other mysteries you'd like to discuss this morning, this is the thread for it.

1. How on earth did a song about a guy getting out of jail become so popular?
Beats the heck out of me. I wanted to know why a song about a criminal is now associated with the honorable men and women of our military. It is one of the the reason I hate those yellow ribbons!

Were the 70s that bad?

Yes! If it was not for Tony Orlando and Dawn all you would have was disco!

Only so many songs you can play in a day?

Do you really care? They went away, is that not good enough?
4. Who was Dawn, anyway?
a dishsoap?

Any other mysteries you'd like to discuss this morning, this is the thread for it.
[SIZE=+1]If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?[/SIZE]

Beats the heck out of me. I wanted to know why a song about a criminal is now associated with the honorable men and women of our military. It is one of the the reason I hate those yellow ribbons!

[SIZE=+1]If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?[/SIZE]

First - are they really trying to equate the military with prison? Which PR department came up with that one?

Re: Barbie - they aren't really friends, they are frenemies. Which apparently all have to be bought...

3. Not much. He was in TV for a while, and was sued for sexual harassment, not necessarily in that order.
4. "Dawn" was his group, not a person.

More useless information. :D

Wikipedia said:
The origin of the idea of a yellow ribbon as a token of remembrance may have been the 19th century practice that some women allegedly had of wearing a yellow ribbon in their hair to signify their devotion to a husband or sweetheart serving in the U.S. Cavalry - the official color of the cavalry is yellow (worn on insignia, etc.), and the song "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon," which later inspired the John Wayne movie of the same name, is a reference to this.
The symbol of a yellow ribbon became widely known in civilian life in the 1970s as a reminder of an absent loved one, either in the military or in jail that they would be welcomed home on their return. In Singapore, an initiative by the Singapore Prison Service to generate social acceptance of ex-offenders is named the Yellow Ribbon Project, having drawn inspiration from the song's title.

A few questions:

1. How on earth did a song about a guy getting out of jail become so popular? Were the 70s that bad?
I don't remember. Even if I did, I wouldn't admit to anything. :eek::)
Someone has questionable taste in music?
Tony lost 674 pounds on the Nutrisystem for Men plan.
4. Who was Dawn, anyway?
Didn't she play Maryann? :dunno:

Yes, I'd like to know where I left my car keys. :dunno::rofl:

Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me.....

Twice on the pipe if the answer is noooooo

[evil laugh]

Now don't make me get out the Starland Vocal Band for other innuendo songs of the 1970's!!!

[/evil laugh]

a) Yes the songs of the 70s were that bad or worse. "Timothy" is an upbeat song about cannibalism.
b) How izzit that "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" is about getting out of prison? The line is "I'm coming home. I've done my time." That couldn't be about a stretch in the army?
c) Tony Orlando is still around doing appearances. He still has no talent. In "Pioneers of Television" he says they made him do sketches and tell jokes like "Sonny and Cher" and he had no idea how to do that. We could tell, Tony.

a) Yes the songs of the 70s were that bad or worse.
And then there was the hair and the fashion.

Yes, in the late 70s my hair was as wide as my shoulders and down to the middle of my back. Yikes!!!

And what about the tuxedos with the ruffled shirts and contrasting piping on them?

b) How izzit that "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" is about getting out of prison? The line is "I'm coming home. I've done my time." That couldn't be about a stretch in the army?

I'm comin' home, I've done my time. Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine.
If you received my letter tellin' you I'd soon be free
Then you'll know just what to do if you still want me. If you still want me

CHORUS
Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree
It's been three long years. Do you still want me?
If I don't see a ribbon round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus, forget about us, put the blame on me.
If I don't see a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree

Bus driver, please look for me, 'cause I couldn't bear to see what I might see
I'm really still in prison, and my love she holds the key
A simple yellow ribbon's what I need to set me free I wrote and told her please
CHORUS

Now the whole damn bus is cheering and I can't believe I see
A hundred yellow ribbons 'round the old oak tree I'm comin' home
--------------

I think that was the bigger hint it was a prison release song. At least to me anyways.

I think that was the bigger hint it was a prison release song. At least to me anyways.
Plus, in the 70s the military was regarded in pop music as being supremely uncool, whereas prison was an honorable place for conscientious objectors and the innocents who got busted for pot. Again, as reflected in pop music.

Plus, in the 70s the military was regarded in pop music as being supremely uncool, whereas prison was an honorable place for conscientious objectors and the innocents who got busted for pot. Again, as reflected in pop music.
Are you forgetting Billy don't be a hero???

Well I guess that did not paint a very good picture, but it was a great chance to hear that song again!!

[/evil laugh]

We've got Sirius in my wife's Jeep Commander. The music channels we listen to are quite repetitive from one day to the next. Channel 6 (60s) also has "Cousin Brucie" on weekends, and I get sick of him really quick. Classical Pops recently changed channels and has good music, but again, if you listen to it over several days you'll find much repetition.

What I really like is that they carry NFL games in the fall. I can find the channel with the Seahawks while driving home from a WSU football game the day before and not have to change stations on the AM radio several times to keep up with the game while driving across the state of Washington. That alone is worth the price of admission. :yes:

Ahhh. Spoken by one who actually lived it.

The '70's were a "transition decade" where we went from uptight conservative to tuned-out hippie back to something where you could still hold a job and "club" on weekends. It was a time of freaky contrasts (Hells Angels for crowd security???). Dress down was "Mother Earth" catalog, dress up was Liberace.

"Context" is everything.

And then there was the hair and the fashion.

Yes, in the late 70s my hair was as wide as my shoulders and down to the middle of my back. Yikes!!!

And what about the tuxedos with the ruffled shirts and contrasting piping on them?

Two words: earth tones.

To keep it aviation-related, you can tell the 70's planes by their orange, brown and mustard yellow color schemes. :vomit:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Aren't the 'good things that come to those who wait' just the leftovers from the people that got there first?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

If you had everything, where would you put it?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If there were a knowledge contest, would the female winner be called Miss Informed?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Two words: earth tones.

To keep it aviation-related, you can tell the 70's planes by their orange, brown and mustard yellow color schemes. :vomit:

I lived through the 70s once, and that was enough. These "style" people want to bring back those colors? They can wait for my money a long time. Not to say that there aren't still a few artifacts in the kitchen left over with avocado green handles, but, gee whiz! Our house was classic 70s when we bought it in 1996, and I spent $50,000 remodeling it to get rid of that stuff. It's not coming back, not in my house anyway.

Oh, and to the airplane color schemes, like the one shown below? :D

Attachments

• 75898.jpg
    75898.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 12
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Aren't the 'good things that come to those who wait' just the leftovers from the people that got there first?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
The early bird may get the worm but it's the second mouse who gets the cheese. :)

More useless information. :D

Beth:

The Cavalry has a long history to Army military folks. Having served time <g> in the First Cav, brought some of that home to me. Tony Orlando's song was picked up along with several others. Folks were tying yellow ribbons on trees while awaiting loved ones. Some MIA wives tied ribbons on trees in remembrance.

It's funny how a popular song will be picked up and remind one of a particular place and time. My second tour in RVN had a couple songs that all of us identified with; they were played over there to remind us of home and most folks tried to sing along: Country Road by John Denver was one. All of the words didn't apply, but country road, take me home was a part all participated in singing.

Best,

Dave

There are a LOT of country songs that remind me of when I was a little girl. Country Roads is one of them. also, what was that song "I'm the happiest girl in the whole USA"? I can't remember who sung it.

Beth:

The Cavalry has a long history to Army military folks. Having served time <g> in the First Cav, brought some of that home to me. Tony Orlando's song was picked up along with several others. Folks were tying yellow ribbons on trees while awaiting loved ones. Some MIA wives tied ribbons on trees in remembrance.

It's funny how a popular song will be picked up and remind one of a particular place and time. My second tour in RVN had a couple songs that all of us identified with; they were played over there to remind us of home and most folks tried to sing along: Country Road by John Denver was one. All of the words didn't apply, but country road, take me home was a part all participated in singing.

Best,

Dave

There are a LOT of country songs that remind me of when I was a little girl. Country Roads is one of them. also, what was that song "I'm the happiest girl in the whole USA"? I can't remember who sung it.

Donna somethingorother. I can't remember her last name.

Donna somethingorother. I can't remember her last name.
I was gonna slam you for forgetting that it was, the first lady of country music, Tammy Wynette. But when I went to youtube her I also found a Donna Fargo singing it. I have no memory of her.

But I do remember her other hit, Funny Face.

WOW it seems lots of artists covered this song, I found a Tanya Tucker cover too!

Wiki said:
"The Happiest Girl In the Whole USA" is a country and pop music song written and recorded by Donna Fargo.
It is written in the voice of a newlywed girl, sung to her new husband.
The song, Fargo's debut single, became a No. 1 country hit in the spring of 1972, and subsequently became a major success on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #11, and Billboard Easy Listening Singles charts.
Soon after its release, it became her signature song.
The song was also covered by Tammy Wynette on her 1972 album My Man (Understands).

Last edited:
I was gonna slam you for forgetting that it was, the first lady of country music, Tammy Wynette. But when I went to youtube her I also found a Donna Fargo singing it. I have no memory of her.

But I do remember her other hit, Funny Face.

Yeah, Donna Fargo is who I was trying to remember.

4. Who was Dawn, anyway?

1. People have no taste.
2. They have to buy and pay for every song they play, so they buy as few as possible.
3. Tony Orlando has a theatre in Branson Missouri. You can join the multitude of bus riding ancients there.
4. Dawn was his backup group.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

They are. They just don't know it.

No orange - just the school bus yellow.
This one is the epitome of ugly 70s, and I think I have over 2,000 hours in it...

BTW, the one on the left is me, almost 20 years ago.

Attachments

• RMAS 1989.jpg
    RMAS 1989.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 25
That guy in the middle! He's the one that sold me that bad acid at a Deep Purple concert! :rofl:
Haha. And here I thought people were going to make comments about the guy on the right...

My partners in crime, BTW.

1. People have no taste.
2. They have to buy and pay for every song they play, so they buy as few as possible.
3. Tony Orlando has a theatre in Branson Missouri. You can join the multitude of bus riding ancients there.
4. Dawn was his backup group.

I had higher hopes for Tony. Thought he might eventually replace Wayne Newton on the Vegas strip!! One of my Aunts loved Danka Shane (Schoen):lightning:

I never understood it <g> (And I don't mean the German words).

Best,

Dave

Back