why?

Because you don’t want the rim to hit the deck on a carrier landing?

Drag and surface area? If you've got "the hook" you'll still stop, and when you're getting launched you want less drag,

While on land you're operating differently and need the extra surface area.

Note: Wild ass guess. But people use different tire pressures on hard surface vs grass.

During the launch sequence, between the shuttle and the hold back bar, a huge amount of force is being applied to the nose gear. At the point of launch, there is enough force being applied, that it will accelerate the aircraft to flying speed, whether the engine is producing trust or now. Here is a decent video that shows how much loading is done. The nose gear is compressed about 6" just prior to release and squats another couple of inches just after release, as you can see with the nose bobbing up and down.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFGzgvgltMw

Tire pressures too low and you have blowouts on launch.

@Craig's video also shows the "diffuclty" of keeping the nose up when the the tailhook locks you up. Another bounce on the two landings it shows.

Why?

It's the infamous question all kids ask and I plead guilty to have asked it of my parents many times.

I believe it is part of the learning process as one grows. Those whos are not inqMy parents indulged me through that age, and in retrospect made me more inquisitive in my pursuits. Had the net been available in the fifties and sixties I would have been on line searching for answers.
The phrase "Too soon old too late smart" seems to fit.

78 and getting denser by the minute.

All their tires have higher pressure for carrier ops, not just the nose tire. The A-4 doesn’t use the shuttle hooked up to a nose launch bar. It uses a cable bridle attached to launch hooks in the main wheel wells. While I’d say the tires experience an increased stress during the launch, I’d be willing to guess it’s nothing compare to that on landing.

I know hydroplaning is an issue for some jets. Hornets at our base would sometimes request the cable with standing water on the runway. Not sure if shore PSI accounts for most of that or not.

Last edited:
Just another wild guess, but I imagine it has more to do with load than anything. Tires have lower pressures more for comfort (they act like shock absorbers). If they have low pressure and are subject to immense load, you can destroy the rim (anyone whose hit a pothole and had to replace the rim can attest to this.) Pump those tires up and they won’t deform to transfer the load to a small point in the rim, they will transfer all the load across a larger surface area and you will feel it in the car (of course the tire has to be able to survive the increase in pressure.)

I imagine upon landing the last thing you want is for the tire to deform and the rim to contact the deck. The higher pressure may help in this regard.

Just my guess as a guy who raced cars and experimented quite a bit with tire pressures.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Grumman doesn't have that placard. That mean I'm not approved for Carrier landings? o_O
Knew I should've bought an AA5A!

During the launch sequence, between the shuttle and the hold back bar, a huge amount of force is being applied to the nose gear. At the point of launch, there is enough force being applied, that it will accelerate the aircraft to flying speed, whether the engine is producing trust or now. Here is a decent video that shows how much loading is done. The nose gear is compressed about 6" just prior to release and squats another couple of inches just after release, as you can see with the nose bobbing up and down.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFGzgvgltMw

Tire pressures too low and you have blowouts on launch.

Are you sure? Because in that video it looked like he was making a hip hop video and then peeled out with his front wheel drive aeroplane, smoking the tires all the way off the deck. I think that’s why he wanted them overinflated.

Carrier ops makes sense, per the explanations people gave up top regarding higher loads, etc.. but if the tire can handle those hire pressures, and it helps with hydroplaning, etc., why not just standardize it and make them all the same?

Higher pressure on the boat to prevent damage during cats and traps (as has been said). Lower pressure on land because the wear pattern is more evenly distributed and lower risk due to reduced energy in the event of a burst or fuse plug blow.

Nauga,
precarrierized

Back