Why you should ALWAYS bring a gun camping

Yeah there is. Schlepping one on a 100 mile hike that you really didn't need.

no matter what side of the debate you're on, you have to agree that that there's funny.

The bears probably aren't attacking because they don't know who is and who is not armed.

Does anyone have stats showing the increase of CCW and a decrease of bear attacks?

What would happen if you had your gun and the bear took it away from you, then shot you with your own gun before they ate you? That would not be good. :D

The bears probably aren't attacking because they don't know who is and who is not armed.

Does anyone have stats showing the increase of CCW and a decrease of bear attacks?
If I think there is a serious bear threat I'm going to want a hell of a lot bigger caliber than my carry 40S&W.

Yeah there is. Schlepping one on a 100 mile hike that you really didn't need.
You could argue that anything you brought that you didn't need was stupid to bring. Problem is you bring things because if you need them..you REALLY need them.

Maxmosbey said:
What would happen if you had your gun and the bear took it away from you, then shot you with your own gun before they ate you? That would not be good. :D
Defend your right to arm bears!

Defend your right to arm bears!

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Not every one should have the right to bare arms!!!

attachment.php

:D:D:D

Attachments

• 0727_madonna_arms_flynet_02-1.jpg
    0727_madonna_arms_flynet_02-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 133
Here's a good test for the no-gun ninnies. Put a control group of 1000 campers in tents and have bears start chewing on their heads. If they survive, ask them what SPF sunscreen they would have wanted at the time of the attack.

Measure the in

Here's a test for the gun blankie ninnes. Put a control group of 1000 campers in tents and present them with a bunch of nonsensical propositions. If they don't shoot themselves in the head to escape, ask them why.

:rolleyes:

Must be tough living in Jersey.

Here's a test for the gun blankie ninnes. Put a control group of 1000 campers in tents and present them with a bunch of nonsensical propositions. If they don't shoot themselves in the head to escape, ask them why.

:rolleyes:

Landed today at 6Y9 in the UP of Michigan, where there are black bears. I did not come armed with a gun so I waited until help arrived in the form of Brad, who had brought sun screen.

Ed's mom was there and she had seen a bear recently by the train tracks in town. But luckily the bear was dying of skin cancer so there were no worries about a potential attack.

There was a black bear in my backyard the other day, it was far more afraid of me than I was of it.

One morning, I shot a bear in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
-harry

But a dog can...

A hunter is recovering after he was shot in the leg at close range by his dog, a spokesman with the Department of Natural Resources said. The hunter, James Harris, 37, of Tama, was hit in the calf Saturday, the opening day of pheasant season...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/us/31brfs-DOGSHOOTSHUN_BRF.html

Smarter than the average bear, as Yogi would say.

Must be an Iowa thing. I took care of a guy whose dog shot him in the back. I was a resident at U of I Hospitals

Barb

Lot's of stories of dogs shooting their owners on hunting trips. Weird. I suspect it is more of a "rather a fantastical story than tell them I managed to accidentally shoot myself" kind of thing, probably.

Lot's of stories of dogs shooting their owners on hunting trips. Weird. I suspect it is more of a "rather a fantastical story than tell them I managed to accidentally shoot myself" kind of thing, probably.

My experience was: Loaded gun on back seat. Not in a Case. Enthusiatic dog hopping around in the back seat managed to step just right on the trigger and shot the guy through the back of the front seat and took out his spine. Stupid tragic accident.

Back on topic....

When you're out in the middle of nowhere, you are subject to life in the State of Nature, which is red in tooth and claw (read the Pulitzer Prize winning Pilgrim at Tinker Creek for Annie Dillard's take on the romance of "nature").

There ain't no 911 out here...

Well, when I hear people go on and on about the _necessity_ of carrying around a device that offers dubious protection against extremely unlikely survival risks, while at the same time living a lifestyle that displays obvious disregard for extremely likely survival risks, I start to wonder about intellectual honesty, and suspect that this gun thing isn't really about pragmatic risk management, so much as that some people _really_ like guns, want to find rationalizations for the necessity of carrying their toy around with them everywhere, and enjoy the fantasy of some day being the guy who whips out his big one to save all the women and children (a fantasy in which he does way better than just hitting the bad guy once in the shoulder).
-harry

This is probably true, but then one persons fantasy is a criminals nightmare. The more news there is about people actually defending themselves the less likely it is that someone is going to try the offensive.

Every Convience store criminal's night mare is that the clerk will pull a revolver out from under the counter. Unfortunatly most know that they will just get there picture taken and the relative small amount of cash in the register.

Brian

Back on topic....

When you're out in the middle of nowhere, you are subject to life in the State of Nature, which is red in tooth and claw (read the Pulitzer Prize winning Pilgrim at Tinker Creek for Annie Dillard's take on the romance of "nature").

There ain't no 911 out here...
How many people who are camping are really out in the middle of nowhere? Most of them are at campsite that are public or privately run and have many amenities. I LMAO when I see some of the stuff people bring camping. It is like they brought their house.

How many people who are camping are really out in the middle of nowhere? Most of them are at campsite that are public or privately run and have many amenities. I LMAO when I see some of the stuff people bring camping. It is like they brought their house.

I've done that 5 times. Total.

We were the only family with tents.

The rest of the time its backpacking off trails or canoe-camping along fairly remote stretches.

No house here.

4745-153Liard_Rvr_Boil_H2O_small_original.jpg

Back