why we enter on the 45

Always remember that someone is laughing at you when you make that radio call... the great thing is that you have cheered someone up!

I hadn't thought about it, but I usually do laugh as I say "no" to myself in the intercom when I hear it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You know the argument has gone on too long when the thing they're arguing about is so many pages back you can't even find it.

Just one more argument that this book is wrong

attachment.php

Attachments

• atitppa.jpg
    atitppa.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 409
Just one more argument that this book is wrong

attachment.php

You sure do make it hard for the I've-been-flying-forever-and-thus-is-how-it's-done crowd to pose and pontificate to us lowly newbs. You didn't even provide a web link that he could say didn't point to the right paragraph, or refute with other links!

Shame on you for even highlighting the sentence in an actual book that clearly proves your point and disproves his . . . :yes:

At least he now knows why we laugh at people who say this, and why he gets few meaningful responses. Think I'll start saying, "ain't nobody here but us chickens" when I hear this call . . .

The last time I heard an ATITPPA call, I was rotating on Runway 8 at dusk, and the genius said he was 1mile east. Once I got the gear up, I said I was departing Runway 8 and hoped he wasn't in front of me. With any luck, his Darwin moment won't involve another aircraft or any passengers.

Right. There is no other answer FOR ME. You said I demand others to do the same. I'm calling you. You can't back it up. And yes... I probably have more time in reverse than most people here have total. You just might learn something.

Your repeated resort to ad hominem is tiresome, but it's also defective since we have no evidence of your supposed experience. Please provide your credentials and identify the untowered airports where you fly your Airbus.

I hadn't thought about it, but I usually do laugh as I say "no" to myself in the intercom when I hear it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Well, I guess my arch nemesis, the NON TROLL has now taken his toys and gone home, but yes, I must admit I laugh out loud too.

I really must get better at this troll stuff, I have actually traded emails with Spike and darnit I used my real name. I have a lot to learn about internet trolling.:eek:

I think we should start a petition to recruit Kritchlow to work for the FAA rewriting the AIM. Once he is buried in the bureaucracy it will be about 60 years before his revisions get out of committee and I think that will be a good thing, don't ya think?

By the way, mkosmo, we gotta meet sometime, we fly out of the same field after all. I will introduce myself as the worlds worst internet troll....:D

Finally - I LOVE the kittens.

By the way, mkosmo, we gotta meet sometime, we fly out of the same field after all. I will introduce myself as the worlds worst internet troll....:D

Sure thing! I was hoping to be at the airport and get some flying in this weekend, but I'm worried I'm catching a cold, unfortunately.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Sure thing!
I'm sure too, if you're entering on a 45 to downwind and he's cutting across the middle of the airport at pattern altitude. Just a matter of time! ;)

dtuuri

I'm sure too, if you're entering on a 45 to downwind and he's cutting across the middle of the airport at pattern altitude. Just a matter of time! ;)

dtuuri
Airplane chicken is why I became a pilot!

dtuuri

The good news for us is if you enter the pattern like you told us to do, you'll be talking with Houston Approach and then you'll be grounded 90 days for busting bravo. So, at least you can come to the funeral.

It cracks me up that this thread is now going on 7 pages long. So, just to add fuel to the fire: how do you feel about the guy doing the circle-to-land off of a non-precision approach to the opposite runway?

I've done this several times under the hood (with a qualified safety pilot), all with ATC looking on and giving a clearance for the approach. I've done it to one of the busier non-towered airports in the area. The one where all the ex-fighter jocks do the formation arrivals with the overhead break. Never had a problem. It all works out just fine. And, on the rare occasion when it doesn't, someone takes appropriate action and it all works out anyway.

The good news for us is if you enter the pattern like you told us to do, you'll be talking with Houston Approach and then you'll be grounded 90 days for busting bravo. So, at least you can come to the funeral.

Why would talking to Houston Approach ground you for busting the Class B? Why would you be unable to enter the pattern below the Class B in the proper way (according to the AIM)?
EDIT: https://skyvector.com/?ll=29.817880496171316,-95.67261668538492&chart=111&zoom=6

dtuuri

Last edited:
FWIW, my take on this silly discussion about requesting "All traffic in the area..., etc." is that pilots who've been around long enough to remember when they first invented CTAF also recall how it was before. You asked the unicom operator for an airport advisory and they usually included any radio-reported traffic. I suppose the root of it goes back to those instances when no unicom operator answered, so it seemed prudent to make the now-considered nefarious request.

dtuuri

FWIW, my take on this silly discussion about requesting "All traffic in the area..., etc." is that pilots who've been around long enough to remember when they first invented CTAF also recall how it was before. You asked the unicom operator for an airport advisory and they usually included any radio-reported traffic. I suppose the root of it goes back to those instances when no unicom operator answered, so it seemed prudent to make the now-considered nefarious request.

dtuuri
Bravo!!!! I'm one of those old timers.

Here on out, I am entering on the 22.5 degree to downwind.

6.125 degrees like the pros.

I'm shooting for 45.1. Just enough precision to tick someone off. Haha.

Anyone leaving the thread please advise.

I've avoided even OPENING it for days, but I finally got tired of Tapatalk keeping it high in the "Unread" list. I instantly regretted poking the button.

dtuuri

I miss a good Unicom. But I also miss a good local FSS briefer too. All gone... Bye bye. :(

Yup... It was a special treat to walk in and get a personal face to face briefing. Last time I did that I believe was the mid 80's, at BDR.

dtuuri

Gentlemen, I miss the good old days too. In 1956 the Thunderbird touted the new innovative safety feature - a padded dashboard. NO seat belts, but a padded dashboard that was less likely I guess to kill you.

I pine for the good old days too.

But sometimes you gotta change. And arguing with the folks who follow the rules and saying that the "way it used to be" is just not productive.

So, today, seat belts and air bags are a bit safer than a padded dashboard. And, today's AIM works better than the versions that you prefer. Even though you don't like it.

So, that's what I do. Even when I don't like it. Now if you'll excuse me there are some children on my lawn that need yelling at.

Good to see you can't "quit" us Kritchlow. Did you like the kittens?

Gentlemen, I miss the good old days too. In 1956 the Thunderbird touted the new innovative safety feature - a padded dashboard. NO seat belts, but a padded dashboard that was less likely I guess to kill you.

But sometimes you gotta change. And arguing with the folks who follow the rules and saying that the "way it used to be" is just not productive.

So, today, seat belts and air bags are a bit safer than a padded dashboard. And, today's AIM works better than the versions that you prefer. Even though you don't like it.

So, that's what I do. Even when I don't like it. Now if you'll excuse me there are some children on my lawn that need yelling at.

Don't think anyone said there were any "new ways" they were ignoring because manned UNICOMs and FSS went away. Folks were just explaining how the unnecessary ATITPPA probably came to pass. A hope that the FBO operator or someone felt like playing ATC where there is none.

So the speech about "old times not being better when there's a new alternative" is wholly unnecessary in the context of the conversation, IMHO. Because no new alternative was given.

ATITPPA likely arose from something that no longer exists, which logically means there's even one more nail in its coffin.

Frankly I have no dog in the ATITPPA fight. Nor do I care. I might answer, I might not. I might not even have a radio.

I will note the location of the inbound jet or whatever and keep doing whatever I was doing, which is looking out the window for them and anyone else, unless the arrival is forcing a traffic conflict. Just like I always have.

Yawn.

Yes.... Always like the kittens! ;)

Yup... It was a special treat to walk in and get a personal face to face briefing. Last time I did that I believe was the mid 80's, at BDR.
That is something I hope to do one day. I was hoping to get one at OSH since I had heard they opened FSS during the show, but it turned out I missed that boat, too.

Don't think anyone said there were any "new ways" they were ignoring because manned UNICOMs and FSS went away. Folks were just explaining how the unnecessary ATITPPA probably came to pass. A hope that the FBO operator or someone felt like playing ATC where there is none.

So the speech about "old times not being better when there's a new alternative" is wholly unnecessary in the context of the conversation, IMHO. Because no new alternative was given.

ATITPPA likely arose from something that no longer exists, which logically means there's even one more nail in its coffin.

Frankly I have no dog in the ATITPPA fight. Nor do I care. I might answer, I might not. I might not even have a radio.

I will note the location of the inbound jet or whatever and keep doing whatever I was doing, which is looking out the window for them and anyone else, unless the arrival is forcing a traffic conflict. Just like I always have.

Yawn.

I appreciate your opinion, and your yawn.

So a couple of weeks ago I was doing pattern work at Lake-in-the-hills and some guy in a Lance (IIRC) said the dreaded ATITPPA at every traffic call he made, including when he was departing only 3 minutes after arriving! I was so tempted to advise him to read the AIM.

So, you're the guy driving 55 down the interstate like the good ole days. :D

The 55mph national speed limit was a brief moment in time. The good old days was when we had the legal age at 18, political correctness hadn't been invented, Archie Bunker could crack wise and people actually laughed, and a computer communicated by punch cards.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back