Why so long to get the permanent certificate?

NJP_MAN

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
I don't quite get it. Everything being done on IACRA now and basically being reviewed as you are being issued the temporary. Why not just print and ship the card and get it like 7 days later at most? Its already in the system. Do they get reviewed after they are reviewed the first time?

It's government, do you really expect efficiency?

As far as I know, they get reviewed down in Oklahoma City. That is likely why it takes so long.

If it makes you feel any better, I actually had my last temporary certificate expire before getting my permanent certificate. The examiner made a mistake so the FAA kicked it back and made him correct it, then return it (for a mistake the FAA could have easily fixed themselves). So my certificate got almost completely through the process once, then it had to go through again.

It's government, do you really expect efficiency?
I expected this answer
Does it make a difference? :dunno:
Not really, just curious as to why there was such a delay.
As far as I know, they get reviewed down in Oklahoma City. That is likely why it takes so long.
This is what I was looking for. It seems the old system should take time but with IACRA it made me wonder.

:yeahthat:

They are not paid to be efficient.

But what if I walk into the FSDO and then get issued a temp. At the same time a permanent prints in OKC. Then it takes a week for some guy to put some sticky stuff on it and put it on a piece of paper. Then another day to get it into an envelope. Then 4 days to get to Phoenix. Thats still only 12 days. Thats how I envision it should go.

They've had to add some time for the Chinese gov't to cross reference your PII with thier other sources. It takes a while to validate and build a comprehensive profile.

But what if I walk into the FSDO and then get issued a temp. At the same time a permanent prints in OKC. Then it takes a week for some guy to put some sticky stuff on it and put it on a piece of paper. Then another day to get it into an envelope. Then 4 days to get to Phoenix. Thats still only 12 days. Thats how I envision it should go.

They probably don't order the plastic card until they know you pass. Then, once it arrives, they start validating the application. Then someone prints it. Then someone reviews it. Then someone attaches it to the paper. Then someone else orders and envelope. Then another person stuff it. Then it goes to the mail processing department.

120 days is probably lightning fast in their world.

My last one only took a couple of weeks. Didn't think that was too bad seeing as though USPS accounted for about 25% of that.

The website says they are working on issuing those for September 1st.

The website says they are working on issuing those for September 1st.

I don't take much away from that. Tomorrow it won't say September 2nd. It will jump to like September 28th or something obscure. It only gives you a good idea if you passed your practical on September 1st.

Probably some of the steps (like printing the cards) is batched.

I find it amusing that I can get a passport quicker though. Two summers ago, we headed out to Cabela's from Oshkosh and they signed me up for a credit card. Figuring like many department store cards that you sign up for on the spot, I'd get some paper temporary to use that day. A few minutes later they had me a Visa card complete with my name and all embossed on it.

Be nice to those hardworkers in the OK city cotton fields.:lol: Who knew hardworker would be a dirty word?

The cards are nothing special. There are machines that can make those one at a time in around 30 seconds.

As others have said it's the government. They have no motivation to do it better. What are you going to do, get a cert from someone else?

Thankfully it doesn't really matter since the temp is fully valid so enjoy your new accomplishment!

I don't take much away from that. Tomorrow it won't say September 2nd. It will jump to like September 28th or something obscure. It only gives you a good idea if you passed your practical on September 1st.

The website increments 10 or 15 days at a time. It'll stay September 1st until it updates to September 10th or September 15th. I passed my A&P practical on September 2nd and it showed up on my profile a few days ago. I'm hoping to get my new card soon.

Once it shows up on your profile that means they've processed it and mailed your permanent card.

You don't really believe some person is doing these one at a time do you?

I got a passport renewal in a few hours but I paid the regular fee plus the expediting fee. The total was over $100.

I just go my IR cert in the mail.

Took 2 full months.

The cards are nothing special. There are machines that can make those one at a time in around 30 seconds.

As others have said it's the government. They have no motivation to do it better. What are you going to do, get a cert from someone else?

Thankfully it doesn't really matter since the temp is fully valid so enjoy your new accomplishment!
It won't even take that long. We have both ID card and payment card printers at work, and the ID card printers will put out better quality cards a lot faster than that!

Even if that were the case, guarantee it isn't. You aren't the only person trying to get their certificate. If you want to know that bad, why not just call them and see if you can go take a tour? Or see if someone can explain the process over the phone.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/contact_airmen_certification/

I think the FAA outsourced the printing of the certificates to India. They only process airman certificates three days a month. Once printed, they are then sent via container ship to LA where they sit for a month to clear customs. Then via railroad boxcar to OKC.

:D

I got a passport renewal in a few hours but I paid the regular fee plus the expediting fee. The total was over $100.

It only took about three weeks for a regular passport issue. It was amusing in that it did come in three separate mailings: one with my passport, one with the passport card, and one with my expired passport back.

I've always noticed that State seems to prioritize things nicely to make your stated departure date.

It only took about three weeks for a regular passport issue. It was amusing in that it did come in three separate mailings: one with my passport, one with the passport card, and one with my expired passport back.

I've always noticed that State seems to prioritize things nicely to make your stated departure date.
I guess the point I was trying to make is that things can be expedited if you are willing to pay for it. Granted, that is not an option with a plastic pilot's certificate, but you have a temporary which is valid. Not so with a passport. I also had a letter from my employer saying that I couldn't be without a passport for any length of time because I can be sent out of the country on very little notice.

It just looks better internationally when you show the card instead of a piece of paper. They eyeball you when you show the paper.

Where do you flash your cert internationally? Used to be at least Europe had joke looking paper licenses for everything. Flashy picture card ID stuff was a US thing.

Where do you flash your cert internationally? Used to be at least Europe had joke looking paper licenses for everything. Flashy picture card ID stuff was a US thing.

France and England. When one guy has a good looking certificate and someone else has a paper it looks funny.

My last one only took a couple of weeks. Didn't think that was too bad seeing as though USPS accounted for about 25% of that.
Me too. It used to be that it took 2-3 months to get the permanent one, but the last couple I got arrived within 2 weeks of the checkride.

Back