Why my almost complete pilot training is at a standstill

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
That's not even snow. Dug the shovel into it and it was like hitting concrete.

SCREW YOU, ICE

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 129
Also inside is a nice skating rink

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
I understand how you feel. Been a rough winter and a rough March. Two more weeks to decent weather is the lie I've been telling myself for the last 6 weeks. Of course April is the cruelest month...

I have problems with ice, too. Ice maker won't work for my margarita when I'm poolside. :D

How about a big ol' mirror to bring some daylight to where the sun don't shine?

I've flown more in the past 5 months than in the previous 5 months. 75 today, gonna be in the low 80's by the weekend.

Last flight was Dec 22nd. Which side of the plane should be up again?

It's in the mid 40s today, it is starting to thaw but apparently not in front of the hangar door. The really frustrating thing is this is combined with calm winds and the clearest blue sky ever.

I'm considering coming back with my 10lb sledgehammer and a few cans of red bull.

It's in the mid 40s today, it is starting to thaw but apparently not in front of the hangar door. The really frustrating thing is this is combined with calm winds and the clearest blue sky ever.

I'm considering coming back with my 10lb sledgehammer and a few cans of red bull.

The big problem is that you've apparently on the predominantly shady side of the row. Direct sunlight works even better than temperature. I feel your pain.

Yeah there's a waiting list for the hangars facing the sun.

The big problem is that you've apparently on the predominantly shady side of the row. Direct sunlight works even better than temperature. I feel your pain.

I think the big problem is you live in area where you can accumulate 6" of ice. :dunno: dang that's cold.

Weather hasn't allowed me much flying time in PA this winter either...and I'm just practicing for my checkride... Ugh.

Glad I'm not the only one 9021over this horribly terrible long winter crap!!!

calcium-chloride-pellets.jpg

When I worked line we could get anything out with enough of this stuff.

SCREW YOU, ICE

I plow snow for the FBO here in Jackson Hole.. I feel your pain.. but... Give the plow operator a case of beer in the beginning of the season and I bet he can get a little closer to your hangar door then that..;)...

And for the rest... The above comment and pic of ice melter fixes all your problems....

Ps... Remember, the door is probably "glued" down with that ice so if you open the door the chances of the bottom seal ripping off is high..:yikes:

Attachments

• 2012 Xmas. 017.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 017.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 2012 Xmas. 048.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 048.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I plow snow for the FBO here in Jackson Hole.. I feel your pain.. but... Give the plow operator a case of beer in the beginning of the season and I bet he can get a little closer to your hangar door then that..;)...

And for the rest... The above comment and pic of ice melter fixes all your problems....

Ps... Remember, the door is probably "glued" down with that ice so if you open the door the chances of the bottom seal ripping off is high..:yikes:

That would be the biggest concern for sure! Make sure the door is 100% free of ice before attempting to open it.

Well good news, that seal pretty much crap as is which is why snow blows under the door... before it melts and re-freezes.

SCREW YOU, ICE

When I saw your photo I thought you were at my hangar. Closer examination shows that you're at the opposite end of the building. My next thought was that you're facing north, as am I; then I got to read your Post #15.
What happens to my end unit and its in-line neighbors is that snow melts off the roof's overhang, drips hit near the door's threshold and the ice gets thicker.We thought about putting a long gutter on the overhang but it was determined the potential weight factor couldn't be tolerated.(3rd photo should have been placed 1st.)
[EDIT] The only inside ice I'm getting is on the 15 feet of the far side of the hangar. The land seems to pitch down slightly to the west; leaves about 20 sq. ft. of thin icing on the floor.

HR

Attachments

• DSC00113.JPG
    DSC00113.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC00116.JPG
    DSC00116.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC04607.JPG
    14.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That's why I fly a plane that has de-ice.

When I saw your photo I thought you were at my hangar. Closer examination shows that you're at the opposite end of the building. My next thought was that you're facing north, as am I; then I got to read your Post #15.
What happens to my end unit and its in-line neighbors is that snow melts off the roof's overhang, drips hit near the door's threshold and the ice gets thicker.We thought about putting a long gutter on the overhang but it was determined the potential weight factor couldn't be tolerated.(3rd photo should have been placed 1st.)
[EDIT] The only inside ice I'm getting is on the 15 feet of the far side of the hangar. The land seems to pitch down slightly to the west; leaves about 20 sq. ft. of thin icing on the floor.

HR

Geez... You guys need to get some better plow operators.....:yes:

Welp, this is ridiculous.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
Back