Why I hate fly-ins...

Re: Why I hat fly-ins...

I don't think I'll ever cut someone off no matter how big of a pattern they're flying. That's not only impolite, but could be detrimental to their safety and mine.

Except when it is not. And that is when you call them up and let them know your intentions and you ensure that you are "no factor". If they cannot deal with that then it is not your problem.

There is no requirement I know of to play "follow the leader" at an uncontrolled airport. Nor play "Simon Says" with unicom, for that matter.

There, I bolded the important for you.

I disagree, the important part and the one that disturbs me is this:

I'm gonna say this once more. I have never offered support for or against 123.45, I'm just telling what everyone I've ever met has considered to be a chat line. I've never heard anybody ever suggest otherwise until this thread came up.

If you have never heard anybody suggest that 123.45 is not a chat line, you have not read the AIM as it is not listed as one of the air to air chat frequencies.

Not sure why you hat fly-ins......

I glove them!

:redface:

I glove them!

LOL. Me too. Wish there were more in the South Florida area. You folks in the Midwest don't know how good you have it.

When I saw that the 172 was flying a 747 pattern I should have elected to exit the pattern, fly out east and enjoy the scenery for a few minutes and then fall back in behind the Ercoupe but I didn't.

It is hard to say from a written description if where and what kind of turn you did was appropriate and safe or not. First you describe it as a 360, 2 miles from the numbers of the departure end, and then you describe it as a series of turns, 2 miles outside the pattern. Two very different things. I am sure you took great care in being safe.

My point is that while we are often given a "360 for spacing" at tower controlled airports, it may not be appropriate at an uncontrolled field. ATC knows were all the airplanes in the area are while we, even as vigilant about situational awareness, may not. By your own discription, you are well aware that there could be NORDO aircraft coming behind you.

I am not saying you did anything wrong, but I have seen pilots just roll into a 360 on downwind without regard for who else is in the pattern. By your second discription this is not what you did. I just wanted to clarify things for the low time pilots who may read this board. Uncontrolled fields work when we pilots do the predictable things. Things can go bad quickly when just one plane in the pattern makes us wonder "what the heck is that guy doing".

I glove them!

:thumbsup:

A typo that I've fixed three or four times but the software reverts to my original spelling apparently.

It is hard to say from a written description if where and what kind of turn you did was appropriate and safe or not. First you describe it as a 360, 2 miles from the numbers of the departure end, and then you describe it as a series of turns, 1 to 2 miles outside the pattern. Two very different things

Bold added by me. Not to pick a nit but I would consider them the same place:

When I initiated the 360 I was at least two miles east (as stated) and about 1/2 mile south of the departure numbers.

The 360 was completed by turning away from the field thus increasing my distance from it therefore I was 1 or 2 miles from the pattern during the turn.

The definition of "the pattern" that I was taught was within 1 mile of the runway in all directions. I've been looking in the FAR/AIM for additional guidance on these dimensions but can't find any so I'm not confident that this is an accurate definition but it is what I was taught. Apparently the 172 driver was taught something quite different. ;)

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

A typo that I've fixed three or four times but the software reverts to my original spelling apparently.

Don't think you can change the title even though it looks like you can when you edit the post. You have to ask a mod to change it.

Don't think you can change the title even though it looks like you can when you edit the post. You have to ask a mod to change it.

Top of the thread, under "Thread Tools", the OP should have "edit thread" option.

Top of the thread, under "Thread Tools", the OP should have "edit thread" option.

I think once responses are made to the thread, the title is locked until a mod interferes, er, intervenes.

Again, I am not saying you did anything wrong.

The AIM doesn't state a distance for the pattern, The Airplane Flying Handbook does reference a downwind leg 1/2 to 1 mile from the runway. No distance is given for the crosswind leg because that varies with aircraft performance and made 300 feet from pattern altitude.

I would only caution that while you may have been outside "the pattern", I would be careful about manuevering in an area where aircraft may be lined up for the 45 degree entry behind you. Sometimes the best thing to do swing well out of the area and try it again.

It sounds like you took great care to see and avoid. Things don't always translate well when written on a web board. (including my response):D

I'm not so shirt about that!

Don't be such a gnome, show us some glove.

For all the claims about this site, the most activity is still based on people jumper-ing to participate in a pun war.

Wow, looks like more than toque an play at this game.

Back