Why I did not buy two new cell phones today...

DaleB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DaleB
It wasn't for lack of trying, that's for sure.

We're with Carrier "T" right now. We like them, a lot, but there is essentially zero coverage at home. One bar, in a limited area of the house; the rest of the house is a dead zone. That's all well and good, as long as our Internet is up and we've got wifi for calling. So when the fiber goes dark and I have to call the cable company... well, you can see the problem.

So I decide, hey, we'll switch to carrier "V" and trade in the phones for a pair of nice shiny new ones. There's a killer deal on them right now, essentially knocking a grand per phone off the price if you switch to them and trade in your old phone. Sweet. Off to Carrier V's web site. There's one catch: I want to pick these up before we leave on vacation. OK, web site says I can place the order there and pick them up at the local store. Two hours later I abandon my attempts to get the web site to actually complete what should be a fairly simple order. I can now recite both our phones' IMEI from memory, I've typed them so many times. I salute the team that was able to make a retail web site function that poorly; it must have taken a huge amount of effort.

Off to our local Best Buy. We walk in and there are FOUR sales droids lounging at the cell phone sales counter. Four of them. Combined IQ is, apparently, about that of a grape. We're ignored completely, even after I ask one of them a question. I finally manage to get one to disengage from their riveting discussion of some video game or other and tell him precisely what we want. He wants to start by switching our service over. Uh, no; let's start by figuring out if you actually have the devices we want. Several minutes of watching the top of his head as he plays with his phone (ignoring the store's computer not 12 inches from his face)... Nope. They don't. Odd; their web site told me not an hour before that the phones were in stock for pickup today. We need a washer and dryer for a rental house; after ten minutes or so of looking at their selection we never could find a sales droid -- apparently they were all at the cell phone desk. We left.

Off to large appliance and electronics retailer #2, since we still need to buy appliances anyway. They have the phones in stock! Great! And you're aware of the trade-in deal the carrier is offering, right? Blank stare. Uh, no, we don't take trade-ins. Sigh.

Off to Carrier V's own retail store. I had resisted this approach due to my past experiences with them. We walk in, the place is very quiet; two customers sitting at two desks with two sales droids, one droid at the door, one more wandering aimlessly in plain sight. I tell the door droid why we're there. He tells us -- I swear I'm not making this up -- that there will be an hour and a half wait time to see a sales person.

Screw it. I give up. I think Carrier V is a sucky solution anyway. I'm thinking I'll pick up a $25 a month Visible SIM card and pop it into a cheap mobile hotspot; the extra monthly expense will still be cheaper than switching to Carrier V, since Carrier T is giving us a killer deal since we're over 55. All I need is SOMETHING on another cell network once or twice a year.

OK, end of rant. In the morning we leave for a week of fishing, which I normally don't do but it beats hell out of working, even if it is with my wife's family.

Last edited:
but there is essentially zero coverage at home. One bar, in a limited area of the house; the rest of the house is a dead zone.
Changing carriers generally won't help anyway. My house in a zone like that. Mostly based on (shared) tower location.

I was about to say "Welcome to my world" with no sympathy whatsoever.

But when you said this:
In the morning we leave for a week of fishing, which I normally don't do but it beats hell out of working, even if it is with my wife's family.
You broke my heart and my sympathy cup overfloweth.

Must be a Omaha thing. Carrier V or Best Buy in my region darn good.

I got a signal booster from T when I had similar issues. Seemed to help quite a bit in my case. Seems like about 9-12 months later, baseline service improved drastically, assuming a new or updated tower. My little signal booster request almost certainly had nothing to do with driving that but it was another data point for them. I turned the signal booster back in to a local store.

Off to our local Best Buy. We walk in and there are FOUR sales droids lounging at the cell phone sales counter. Four of them. Combined IQ is, apparently, about that of a grape.

Put those droids on straight commission and watch what happens.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wilson-electronics-yagi-directional-cellular-antennas/

From first hand experience they work.

non functional cell reception at home. Put the antenna up and pointed it at the closest cell tower. No more dropped calls.

Following the directions is a requirement.

Cheers,

Dave

edit to add:

the one I linked is a generic 4g. They have a specific antenna that covers t mobile 5g bands. If you decide to try one call them to order and make sure you get the correct kit.

Last edited:
Curious, is WiFi calling/surfing on your T device an option?

I was with A for years; then, we moved to a new home where the signal dropped as I turned into the driveway. By the time we were in the house, no signal. Ah, the good ol' days of 2010. We switched to V and signal at home and everywhere we went. As technology has evolved (yes, it does [AI]), the WiFi calling option has virtually eliminated connection issues.

Sidebar - I got a Google Pixel 7 Pro from V on Dec 11, 2022. In April the screen has to be replaced because it died. Google said it was a warranty issue, but the shop did not because of A SINGLE scratch on the side from my keys - $389. The "duhroid" doing the repair then destroyed both of the screen protectors I carried in because he could not follow simple directions printed on the box. The same simple directions I had no problem with. Another $35. I would not recommend this equipment, but I rationalized it as needed for work as I own a business and need Office functionality. Dang rationalizations.

T provided the booster at no cost; shipping as well. It was a device recorded against my account so I made sure to return it and get a receipt.

After a decade with Verizon, I switched to T-Mobile.

T gave me two free Pixel 6 phones and ALL free data. And after two years I'll get another free two phones.

V, thinks their data is priceless.

Saved a BUNCH of $$$$$.

We're with Carrier "T" right now. We like them, a lot, but there is essentially zero coverage at home. One bar, in a limited area of the house; the rest of the house is a dead zone. That's all well and good, as long as our Internet is up and we've got wifi for calling. So when the fiber goes dark and I have to call the cable company... well, you can see the problem.

So I decide, hey, we'll switch to carrier "V" and trade in the phones for a pair of nice shiny new ones. There's a killer deal on them right now, essentially knocking a grand per phone off the price if you switch to them and trade in your old phone. Sweet. Off to Carrier V's web site. There's one catch: I want to pick these up before we leave on vacation. OK, web site says I can place the order there and pick them up at the local store. Two hours later I abandon my attempts to get the web site to actually complete what should be a fairly simple order. I can now recite both our phones' IMEI from memory, I've typed them so many times. I salute the team that was able to make a retail web site function that poorly; it must have taken a huge amount of effort.

Off to our local Best Buy. We walk in and there are FOUR sales droids lounging at the cell phone sales counter. Four of them. Combined IQ is, apparently, about that of a grape. We're ignored completely, even after I ask one of them a question. I finally manage to get one to disengage from their riveting discussion of some video game or other and tell him precisely what we want. He wants to start by switching our service over. Uh, no; let's start by figuring out if you actually have the devices we want. Several minutes of watching the top of his head as he plays with his phone (ignoring the store's computer not 12 inches from his face)... Nope. They don't. Odd; their web site told me not an hour before that the phones were in stock for pickup today. We need a washer and dryer for a rental house; after ten minutes or so of looking at their selection we never could find a sales droid -- apparently they were all at the cell phone desk. We left.

Off to large appliance and electronics retailer #2, since we still need to buy appliances anyway. They have the phones in stock! Great! And you're aware of the trade-in deal the carrier is offering, right? Blank stare. Uh, no, we don't take trade-ins. Sigh.

Off to Carrier V's own retail store. I had resisted this approach due to my past experiences with them. We walk in, the place is very quiet; two customers sitting at two desks with two sales droids, one droid at the door, one more wandering aimlessly in plain sight. I tell the door droid why we're there. He tells us -- I swear I'm not making this up -- that there will be an hour and a half wait time to see a sales person.

Screw it. I give up. I think Carrier V is a sucky solution anyway. I'm thinking I'll pick up a $25 a month Visible SIM card and pop it into a cheap mobile hotspot; the extra monthly expense will still be cheaper than switching to Carrier V, since Carrier T is giving us a killer deal since we're over 55. All I need is SOMETHING on another cell network once or twice a year.

OK, end of rant. In the morning we leave for a week of fishing, which I normally don't do but it beats hell out of working, even if it is with my wife's family.

After decades of an expensive experience on V, that originally had great coverage but now provides nothing to my home or my mom's house, I switched to Mint and save a ton of money (runs on T's network). In my phone only, I bought a $100/year SIM for redpocket (ATT) with 1GB data a month. I tell the phone to use it on the rare occasions that my M doesn't have signal. I've found almost no situation where one of them doesn't cover me, and the combined cost is a fraction of what I was paying. The other 2 phones on our plan get the Mint only and they're fine with it. No drama, cheap, no issues for us.

I've been with V a long time ... 50:50 as far as service. Warning to those thinking of buying V service/phone: their stores look the same, but some are "corporate" and some are "franchise" ... if there's a MAJOR issue and you setup through franchise, you're basically screwed as corporate will say franchise should not have offered "X' deal if there's an issue ...

Went to AT&T store (corporate) last night to fix some issues on the wife's account than my grandkid and daughter are on

I also have a company AT&T account with 10 lines

They were rude and worthless

One block away is a TMobile store where I have a single SIM card from for use overseas (China). They are the best service around

"T" coverage in Nebraska is absolutely terrible compared to "V" coverage. "V" will work fine with full bars of signal at most any rural airport in Nebraska, and "T" won't do ****.

I would have to check the coverage map for "T" coverage in the eastern part of the state before I would think about changing from "V". We do keep the VOIP line for the house as "V" coverage where we live is spotty, at best.

Changing carriers generally won't help anyway. My house in a zone like that. Mostly based on (shared) tower location.
We know for sure that "V" coverage at our place is fairly good. Not great, but pretty good. We were on Visible for a year or two until their service got so bad it chased us off.

You broke my heart and my sympathy cup overfloweth.
And I just drove ten hours for the privilege...

You know, we went to Best Buy in part because in the past, we've gotten really good service there. They must have changed management - it was obvious that there were plenty of blue shirts around, but no one was minding the store.

I got a signal booster from T when I had similar issues. Seemed to help quite a bit in my case. Seems like about 9-12 months later, baseline service improved drastically, assuming a new or updated tower. My little signal booster request almost certainly had nothing to do with driving that but it was another data point for them. I turned the signal booster back in to a local store.
Interesting; I'll have to look into that.

Curious, is WiFi calling/surfing on your T device an option?

I was with A for years; then, we moved to a new home where the signal dropped as I turned into the driveway. By the time we were in the house, no signal. Ah, the good ol' days of 2010. We switched to V and signal at home and everywhere we went. As technology has evolved (yes, it does [AI]), the WiFi calling option has virtually eliminated connection issues.
Well, yeah, works great. Right up until the internet connection goes down and you need to call the cable (fiber) company to get that fixed. It's happened twice in the past year, once with each of the local providers.

After a decade with Verizon, I switched to T-Mobile.

T gave me two free Pixel 6 phones and ALL free data. And after two years I'll get another free two phones.

V, thinks their data is priceless.

Saved a BUNCH of $$$$$.
We went from Verizon (many years) to, briefly, Straight Talk (I don't recommend) to Visible (started out great, turned to suck, and there are or were huge black holes since Visible used ONLY Verizon proper, nothing else. Frustrating to drive three hours past dozens of towers and still see "NO SERVICE".) Then TMO offered us $90/month unlimited everything, total for two phones (not each), AND they offered free data and text in the UK and EU. No voice, but we could use FaceTime or any other app. That alone was worth a lot to us. On top of that we got a pair of $300 Costco cards. We've been with them since and as I said, quite happy other than the one black hole that lives inside our house. A couple years later and I'm still paying something like $96 per month gross for both lines, and that includes Netflix and Apple TV+.

After thinking more about our overall experience with Verizon, I've decided to just look at other options for the house issue. I was so happy to leave Verizon, because every single time I got their bill or dealt with their customer frustration team I felt like we were getting screwed. And we were. I'm glad they sucked so bad that I was unable to buy service from them.

Funny, that's how I felt about AT&T before I switched.
One of my former employers had all the company phones on AT&T. Their coverage where I lived and worked was horrible. Never really considered them after they finally switched us all off or the deathstar.

It's been my experience that they're all pretty lousy, in one way or another. I've had best customer service from the local T place. When I was shopping for an accessory for a work phone on V, where I could not add the cost to the account, they had no way to process the payment. So I'd say V is more screwed up at a corporate level. There is an assumption that their coverage is so much better, and their handling of large accounts is so much better, that they can be overpriced and rude. Place I work for? They switched to T. Because it's less expensive, and because they gave us better options.

Some companies just need to go away. I've had enough friends have worked at V over the years, and have some familiarity with their general business practices.

I was with V for 20+ years. Now with Spectrum, which is just V at a better price. Thought about T because of some decent senior benefits.

T was doing a promo. One of their hotspot units free for 14 or 30 days so you can try them out. Neither I nor customer service could get the hotspot to work. Since my SOP is that the very best service you will ever get is when they are trying to sell you something, that was the end of the experiment.

Stunned at "Less than a grand" - but I guess it depends on your needs. My phone (for a few hundred bucks) is just for my voice and text, occasionally as a hotspot. Maybe, rarely, check email. Consumer Cellular is $23-24 a month - they ride either on AT&T or T-Mobile's network depending on your location.

Stunned at "Less than a grand" - but I guess it depends on your needs. My phone (for a few hundred bucks) is just for my voice and text, occasionally as a hotspot. Maybe, rarely, check email. Consumer Cellular is $23-24 a month - they ride either on AT&T or T-Mobile's network depending on your location.

To add to stunned, I think it was a discount of a grand per phone plus trade in of old phones unless I misread the OP. Yeah, I paid a little over a hundred for my samsung 3 or 4 years ago. Small, fits in pocket, does pretty much anything I need it to. Yes, it's just 4G, I just don't have heavy throughput or large screen phone needs. Maybe it'll last a few more years until 4G is phased out. I know, I'm a cheap Engineer, what can I say. On the other hand, I spend money on things many folks would be stunned at. So, if it makes you happy, what's the harm.

Last edited:
Better phones are expensive. I use my phone extensively for both work and personal use, seven days a week. So no, a refurbed iPhone 6 or a low end Android phone won’t work for me.

A new iPhone 14 Pro Max list for $1099, I think, in its lowest memory configuration. As we anticipate needing cell service indefinitely, I’m OK with committing to a carrier for a couple of years to knock that down to a couple hundred bucks (and paying that in tiny increments without interest). I’ll probably wait until the 15 is released later this year and see what our current carrier offers to try and get us to not switch to someone else.

So in the end I’m not paying much (if anything) more for my phone… I’m just getting a lot nicer phone.

I've been with V a long time ... 50:50 as far as service. Warning to those thinking of buying V service/phone: their stores look the same, but some are "corporate" and some are "franchise" ... if there's a MAJOR issue and you setup through franchise, you're basically screwed as corporate will say franchise should not have offered "X' deal if there's an issue ...
Yes. Avoid franchise at all costs.

Talent and attitude there reminds me of the Aviation and Tractors thread.

Better phones are expensive. I use my phone extensively for both work and personal use, seven days a week. So no, a refurbed iPhone 6 or a low end Android phone won’t work for me.

A new iPhone 14 Pro Max list for $1099, I think, in its lowest memory configuration. As we anticipate needing cell service indefinitely, I’m OK with committing to a carrier for a couple of years to knock that down to a couple hundred bucks (and paying that in tiny increments without interest). I’ll probably wait until the 15 is released later this year and see what our current carrier offers to try and get us to not switch to someone else.

So in the end I’m not paying much (if anything) more for my phone… I’m just getting a lot nicer phone.

I get it; makes sense for you. : )

Back