Why haven't you been to a POA fly-in ?

The event was fine. Frankly, it was a "locals" event that they graciously extended an open invite to all, so it's to be expected that a non local wouldn't fit in as well. I don't recall the name of the airport now, but the event was for the locals to grieve over its imminent closing.

It was after the event when I asked multiple times to be added to the list of people notified for future events and was not added, that gave me a feeling I wasn't going to be missed.
I’ve been to the last three RR Events and have never seen an invite list or call list or anything other than a general post somewhere in POA (no clue which forum since I just use “new”) discussing what April weekend is going to be best. When it popped up, I replied and went. Once I said I was coming, I got added to a chat where personal and other info could be exchanged.

eMan has several times has several times explained how it’s working now. If you really want to attend, just look for a post on RR 2025 or Gaston’s or whatever and reply. No asking for permission, hunting a call, searching thru your Spam folder etc. 6PC even extended an invite for next year but look for the RR 2025 post early next year.

It begs the question of what defines a "POA flyin." I have been to local (Northern California) fly in meetups in a few places - Petaluma/O69, Half Moon Bay, and Columbia/O22 attended by POA members, but not officialized on the site, but rather organized through PM's.

Most, if not all of the major POA events are east of the Rockies, which makes it a little challenging for folks on the west coast.

It begs the question of what defines a "POA flyin." I have been to local (Northern California) fly in meetups in a few places - Petaluma/O69, Half Moon Bay, and Columbia/O22 attended by POA members, but not officialized on the site, but rather organized through PM's.

Most, if not all of the major POA events are east of the Rockies, which makes it a little challenging for folks on the west coast.

We're scared to fly over those hills.

The other side of sandpaper is often smooth.

I feel the same way as bryan. RR21? or 20? was my first PoA flyin and I haven't looked back. I remember landing (after 1 go around because it was gusting 30) and @Jim K handing me a beer. That's when I knew I was in good company. And if you don't have a plane, beg or borrow. that's how i've been getting to places since I've started flying.
Your landing was SO bad that someone felt you needed a beer? :biggrin:

I've never felt anything but welcome when it comes to events. I've yet to make it to RR but have lunch meet ups. I felt somewhat an outsider because that's me, my flying experience isn't as much as most, and quite a few people have already met in person. All of that disappeared pretty quickly. I don't take the lunch posts near Charlotte where I'm not called out personally as who knows how people come up with those things.

Just have zero desire to socialize. Always feel there is something better to do wirh my time than hanging out with people.

Groups of people are even worse.

Yes, I'm probably missing an important gene because I understand that as humans social interaction is important. I understand the concept and sometimes feel a little jealous of others who enjoy hanging out in groups.

I dont even interact on this forum, though I occasional post and comment. Once I post something I never go back and read any follow up on the thread.

I understand I'm probably worse off because of my perspective but have zero motivation to change.

Maybe too many years of forced group activity on business that has helped me become anti-social. That plus being raised in the Air Force where I stopped making friends because it hurt too much when we moved every two years.

I'm a product of my environment.

I met several of my very best and most cherished friends at PoA fly-ins (Gaston's and 6Y9er). They were all strangers until I met them, and then, they were friends.

If any of you are intimidated at the thought of showing up where you know no one, fear not: once you're there, you're in. That's just how it works.

My first fly in was Gastons in 2022.
I had similar concerns about joining a longstanding group of attendees where I'd be the odd man out who flew 300 miles to hang out with a cliquish group. This was amplified by the fact that there seemed to be a plethora of inside jokes among the "regulars".

Turns out that concern was completely for naught. None of the events I've attended (Rough River, Gastons, 6Y9'er or the midwest lunch gatherings) have felt like that. And we have a very broad cross section of people attending. I can't speak to other events/regional gatherings.

It's usually everyone hanging out near the ramp watching people land, checking out airplanes, going for a ride, flying somewhere to get lunch, or grilling out and having a beer -- all while talking about airplanes and flying experiences. So pretty much the same stuff we do on these message boards except IRL. And if you get "people'd out" and over socialized you can always retreat back to your cabin/tent or go for a walk and recharge your social batteries :).

It's seriously about the lowest stress event out there and definitely not invite-only. For reference, I'd say it's the opposite of a work gathering where you just count down the minutes until it's socially acceptable to GTFO.

At rough river this weekend, the thing I kept saying to myself and others is "What a great group of people this is".

My first POA flyin was Gaston's in 2015. I flew in with a friend in case the group wasn't interested in outsiders, I would have someone I could hang with and not feel dumb.

Before I left, I was added to several peoples' phones and they were offering to pick me up at a satellite field since I wasn't up for the grass strip at the time.
We landed and hopped into a Piper Comanche with a total stranger who I now consider to be a good friend and he's the reason I own a Comanche today instead of a slow ass Grumman or worse, a high wing.

I have met so many previously faceless people on this forum that I now call my friend, and interact frequently with when I have questions or want to BS.
To be honest, I have more friends from POA than I ever made in college or work.

Point is If there are people here that see 6Y9, Gaston's, Rough river, the East coast lunch crew, etc and aren't sure, go for it. show up.

A lot of us on here probably come off as jerks at times but I have never met anyone on here in person where I felt that way.
I dunno, I was just reflecting on the weekend and I hope if you are on here and you see a meet up that you are able to get to but aren't sure, just go.

These really are some great people. And it goes beyond my flying friends. I came home and my wife went down the list asking if this person was there and this one and that one and their wife, etc.
She has made a lot of friends as a result.

Go to a POA fly-in. You will leave with some really incredible friends.

You will also probably meet some high wing pilots. Be nice to those guys. They're trying.
I’d love to, but like everything, it’s an issue of time. Rough River, Gaston’s, 6Y9 are all pretty long trips from the east coast. I’d love to hit up one of the east coast lunches, but it always seems like family obligations get in the way. Perhaps I’ll make it to an OSH meetup this year.

So I've now been at the rough river every year. The first year I didn't really know anyone and it probably took me another couple cycles to match up most of the faces to their names/POA handles. I'm not someone who easily makes friends or socializes but I've always been welcome at these meetups and had a good time. We all have something in common- we're all in or have been in IT. Also airplanes.

But if you really want a good endorsement we now have a growing contingent of wives who not only agree to go but actually want to go to these things. It's a serious situation, god only knows what they're all doing in that cabin while we're busying sitting around the fire and drinking. If trends continue they may soon outnumber us. Please start coming to the fly-ins.

But if you really want a good endorsement we now have a growing contingent of wives who not only agree to go but actually want to go to these things. It's a serious situation, god only knows what they're all doing in that cabin while we're busying sitting around the fire and drinking. If trends continue they may soon outnumber us. Please start coming to the fly-ins.

^^ true.

When we realized that we would be able to make it (wx dependent) back to 6Y9 this year after a 15 year hiatus, my wife immediately started asking "Soo, does ____ still go up there? Is ____ still on PoA? Will ____ be there?" It definitely rekindled a spark for meeting up with folks of years past for her.

I always forget to look at the POA Fly-ins/Meet-ups area of the forum. I did enjoy meeting several members (yes, even 6PC) at a dinner meetup in the DFW area many years back. Gaston's isn't even particularly far from Tulsa, lol. I just forget about it until all of the fun posts about how great a trip it was start popping up. Same as @CJones where we still have young-ish kids (7yr & 5yr olds) which generally require some decent effort to make sure they are out of harms way. We're usually so busy with sports events and general family activities that it's hard to squeeze in a flight as it is!

Not cliquish. Even after that comment, Clip4 is still invited.
But once you've been, it's hard not to want to go back. It's just good people.

@Salty you really need to come and bring that dang 'Chang bro :D

Also, if any of you do come, let us know your favorite singer and you could possibly leave with some nice said singer-themed undergarments.

Or maybe not.
Only one way to find out.

Also the ladies seem to get louder than us perfectly respectable gentlemen.

My wife and I showed up at Gaston's unannounced and "uninvited" in 2022. The “cliquish clan” invaded our space until we ending up in one of the cabins playing games and drinking beer. We have been to four fly-ins since, including 6Y9 and RR. Show up, and to make it even better, bring your significant other.

On another note, after the weekend at RR with the OP, it never occurred to me that he was so envious of high wing pilots.

I always forget to look at the POA Fly-ins/Meet-ups area of the forum. I did enjoy meeting several members (yes, even 6PC) at a dinner meetup in the DFW area many years back. Gaston's isn't even particularly far from Tulsa, lol. I just forget about it until all of the fun posts about how great a trip it was start popping up. Same as @CJones where we still have young-ish kids (7yr & 5yr olds) which generally require some decent effort to make sure they are out of harms way. We're usually so busy with sports events and general family activities that it's hard to squeeze in a flight as it is!
Anytime I see an event here, facebook, email or wherever that there is the remotest chance I'll be interested in attending, it immediately goes on my calendar. Then I, at least, have a chance of knowing something is happening as I plan my weekends.

I’ve been to 2 1/2 fly ins here in the SW. The 1/2 was that I got 30 minutes away from Sedona and had to turn back because of electrical issues. Those that I attended were just wonderful considering they were just one day affairs. We don’t seem to have as many scheduled fly ins out here as you guys in the Midwest, South and East. I wish we did.

To quote Eleanor Roosevelt: “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

Anytime I see an event here, facebook, email or wherever that there is the remotest chance I'll be interested in attending, it immediately goes on my calendar. Then I, at least, have a chance of knowing something is happening as I plan my weekends.
Not a bad idea at all. We certainly do better at attending the local pancake/donuts & coffee style meet ups, but we're almost always driving in since it'd take more time to drive to the airport with a rental aircraft than it would to just go to the airport with the event, lol.

You can ignore the fact that a list of people being "called out" looks like an invite list if you want. But, it does look like an invite list to more than one of us on this thread. Especially for those that have asked to be added to the "call out" list and were not.

The lunch posts where folks add a big long list of @names does not always work properly. The software sometimes barfs and not everyone on the list gets a notification. Is what it is *shrug* but its definitely not a snub.

That said, I’ve been lax in attendance the last few years, I need to do a better job of juggling the balls and making everything work.

These are a great group of folks, honest.

You have the luxury of planning your own weekends? Sweet. I just get in the car and drive in the direction SWMBO tells me until she says “Stop.”

I'm reminded of a T-Shirt I saw once....
"I used to be a people person, but then they ruined it."​

Seriously though, I almost posted in the recent Rough River Thread yesterday.... I seriously would like to join ya'll some day.
For me the biggest reason why not, is that I'm not actively flying and don't have a plane.
Secondary reason is not enough vacation time...or free time in general!

I'm hoping to remedy both of those problems eventually.... and it would be cool to join ya'll. Especially Rough River. I have some good childhood memories camping there with my family and friends in the campground just the other side of the road from where I think ya'll are staying there. Used to live in Owensboro and we camped there several times, both tent and a time or two in this miserable little camper trailer my parents had for a short time

...we now have a growing contingent of wives ... they may soon outnumber us....
The Lindbergh thread discussed pilots having multiple wives. Are people really bringing multiple wives to RR? I've heard the unbelievable stories, but still...

Last edited:
Go to a POA fly-in. You will leave with some really incredible friends.

This is an exceedingly common story. If I look at my best friends, all but a few are from POA (and that total number is pretty small altogether). Some are people who I communicate with almost daily, some are people who I don't talk to with any regularity but can pick up with right where I left off and are always welcome in my home. I can't say that about any other group I've been a part of - school, college, church, car or motorcycle related groups.

As to what happened, ironically I pretty much stopped going to fly-ins during the time period where I was running Cloud Nine and flying the most, but that primarily had to do with a lack of free time that went with that operation, and throw in there the small children (and @CJones is very correct about what small children mean for realities of attending basically any gathering). The past few years we've been making it to 6Y9 with the RV40, and the plan is to return this year with the RV45. We all have a great time, and the kids always ask when we can go back to "the grass runway".

The Lindbergh thread discussed pilots having multiple wives. Are people really bringing multiple wives to RR? I've heard the unbelievable stories, but still...

Probably just a misunderstanding. I've heard that each gentleman only brings one wife, but then there's a swap. I think they do it sorta the way a gift exchange works at a Christmas party.

....and throw in there the small children (and @CJones is very correct about what small children mean for realities of attending basically any gathering).

Just remember that someday you'll want to get those kids married off. How will you possibly do that without POA?

Just remember that someday you'll want to get those kids married off. How will you possibly do that without POA?

Eventually they'll have to join. They all want to learn to fly.

I'm not sure how well I would tolerate it. My amputated feet don't do grass very well and feet endurance is always an issue.

Oh dude the wives were significantly more wild and crazy than the husbands this year. I don't know what the hell that game was they were playing in the cabin but I've never heard some of the octaves that we're coming out of that cabin.

Also worth pointing out that they started drinking before the guys. They're going to turn this into their event

I'm not sure how well I would tolerate it. My amputated feet don't do grass very well and endurance is always an issue.
Rough River is paved. And there's a ton of ground transportation I think we had four cars this year.

By the way. Thank you to those of you that drove very appreciative to not have to walk up that hill from the cabin too many times

Time to start building a plane?

We've talked about what we should do aircraft wise for that future. But if we start building a plane now, it should be ready about the time our grandkids are ready to learn to fly.

Back