Why does the FAA hate ADHD so much?

One thing that I commonly see with this issue is many people make comments about kids that are diagnosed with ADHD that don’t actually have ADHD. Then people that have or are parents of children that really have ADHD get their feels hurt.

It’s all just dumb.

Are you assuming that all ADHD is just a result of bad parenting?

I will answer this. The answer is simply no, all ADHD is not the result of bad parenting.

Now you answer my question. Are all ADHD diagnosis legit ADHD diagnosis, or are there cases where it is not legit?

Unfortunately it appears that a significant majority of the board (I am willing to guess 95%+ of them are over 45-50) believe that.

Hmmm, so because people are over a certain age, they obviously know not of which they speak? Can you say ageism?

On the other hand, I couldn't help noticing you didn't provide a counter argument, merely "95%+ of them are over 45-50" which can only mean 'they're old, what do they know?'. By that argument, allow me to retort with 'You're young. What can YOU possibly know?' See how stupid of an argument it is? But, one of us actually made the argument...

I will answer this. The answer is simply no, all ADHD is not the result of bad parenting.

Now you answer my question. Are all ADHD diagnosis legit ADHD diagnosis, or are there cases where it is not legit?
Based on what I've heard on pilot message boards, I would say that not all of the diagnoses are legit.

Based on what I've heard on pilot message boards, I would say that not all of the diagnoses are legit.

true.. . but on these same pilot forums - EVERY one of the people on them, or speaking on behalf of someone else - believes that they are more than adequate to get a first class medical and be an airline pilot. Not one of them believes that they are beyond what the FAA will consider - whether that be ADHD, SSRIs/Anti-depressants, pain killers, bipolar, etc etc

Why does the FAA hate ADHD so much?
Why does the FAA hate bi-polar people so much?
Why does the FAA hate people with cardiac issues so much?
Why does the FAA hate drunk drivers with a BAL of .15 so much?
Why does the FAA hate (enter issue here) so much?

It has nothing to do with “hate”. The FAA is doing the best they can to screen out potential issues that cause accidents. Their approach can certainly be criticized at times, but that’s the system we have. If you are deemed mentally/physically healthy enough, no problem. If you’ve exhibited issues presently or in the past, then the FAA will need to address them to see if you’re a danger to yourself or others behind the controls of an aircraft. I have no problem with the screening process. Don’t like it? Undergo the procedures set forth by the FAA to prove your health or go Basic Med/LSA. The FAA doesn’t “hate”. They just follow predetermined regulations to prove your airworthiness.

My AME opinion (though not yet HIMS trained)….
Here is the FAA’s perspective (not saying I agree or disagree with their perspective and approach, just explaining what I have observed):
1 The doctors at the FAA want to keep our skies as safe as possible and distracted and/or impulsive pilots can make the skies less safe.
2 The doctors at the FAA apply policies and approaches as consistently as possible to screen for risk in the full population of potential pilots. They are trying to achieve what is called in medicine high sensitivity (don’t miss anyone with the condition) though it usually comes with some compromise in specificity (some people who don’t have it will be falsely labeled as having it). This may be where the perceived “hate” comes in because it makes some healthy pilots jump through time consuming and expensive hoops.
3 The doctors at the FAA are willing to consider pilots with the past or current diagnosis of ADHD (whether the diagnosis was given appropriately or not) who are off of medication for at least 90 days (though 6 months is better) if they demonstrate adequate focus and attention. To determine this adequacy, they review medical records, medication logs, academic records, driving records, and a Neuropsychological evaluation that includes a Cogscreen AE.

Hope that helps.

This may be where the perceived “hate” comes in because it makes some healthy pilots jump through time consuming and expensive hoops.

I think the hate (I prefer frustration) is more directed towards who decides what makes a pilot healthy.

My AME opinion (though not yet HIMS trained)….
Here is the FAA’s perspective (not saying I agree or disagree with their perspective and approach, just explaining what I have observed):
1 The doctors at the FAA want to keep our skies as safe as possible and distracted and/or impulsive pilots can make the skies less safe.
2 The doctors at the FAA apply policies and approaches as consistently as possible to screen for risk in the full population of potential pilots. They are trying to achieve what is called in medicine high sensitivity (don’t miss anyone with the condition) though it usually comes with some compromise in specificity (some people who don’t have it will be falsely labeled as having it). This may be where the perceived “hate” comes in because it makes some healthy pilots jump through time consuming and expensive hoops.
3 The doctors at the FAA are willing to consider pilots with the past or current diagnosis of ADHD (whether the diagnosis was given appropriately or not) who are off of medication for at least 90 days (though 6 months is better) if they demonstrate adequate focus and attention. To determine this adequacy, they review medical records, medication logs, academic records, driving records, and a Neuropsychological evaluation that includes a Cogscreen AE.

Hope that helps.

Frankly I have few issues with that if indeed they had the staff to process the applications in a timely manner. In reading these and posts in other forums it's pretty clear they don't, and trying to reach screening goals is leading to ureasonable delay and expense for the applicants. Ibelieve that's the perceived "hate", not the ultimate determination. The criteria or the process needs to be re-examined in terms of cost/benefit, especially for class 3 medicals.

Sometimes the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Back