Why do we put in our N number at self-serve gas pumps?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
I just always wondered. Every time I buy gas the little kiosk wants my N-number. What do they use that for?

I always assumed it was a requirement in case of an accident investigation so fuel source and quantities could be traced back if needed.

Or in case they find an issue with the fuel so they can notify you. 9 times out of 10 that fuel will already be burned though.

Read AD 95-21-15. It is applicable to certain registration numbers due to fuel contamination at certain airports. I assume they took a look at the logs of aircraft fueled at these locations to come up with the list of aircraft to check.

Never seen that one before, quite interesting. I wonder if the fuel distributor got to pay for all the tear downs.

Accounting is another reason. You need to come back and get a receipt for your boss - put your N-number in the records and if the machine isn't working you can probably get a copy from someone.

I've noticed that some pumps ask and some don't. The one I use the most only asks if you've grounded your plane. Other than that, it's just swipe and pump.

just quoting to get your attention,,, remember the thread about cost per hour for 100 hour per year?
I think we both screwed up the numbers,, if you want to know how Ill tell...

I've used two types of self service koshes. One uses the letter pad Y for yes N for no. The other type uses Enter and Cancel and Okay. Only the second type asks for tail number.

For branded suppliers, after an aircraft crash, the fuel at the last place it fueled is quarantined until proven good. I don't know about independants.

The fuel master comes in two forms. One with a full keypad and one with just digits and a few extra buttons. Both ask for N number. I'm quite fast at operating the one at KHKY. It starts at "N" so my N number is <LETTER SELECT>5327<LEFT ARROW><LEFT ARROW><LEFT ARROW><LETTER SELECT><OK>

I don't even have to look at it anymore when I'm doing it.

I'm sure it's so that the FAA can find people who use the wrong code in their Mode-S transponders to bust airspace anonymously. Will also help with Annon ADS-B types.

Think some states use them to try to track planes that they can send angry tax letters to.

You don't have to enter a N-Number for the pump to turn on.

Tracking fuel purchases for different aircraft is the main use I get out of it.

Most pumps I have used lately ask for a tail number. I hope that it's for my benefit.

I always enter...."NNNNNN" and press enter. :D

btw....they have my name from the credit card. :eek:

Never seen that one before, quite interesting. I wonder if the fuel distributor got to pay for all the tear downs.

Chevron bought a bunch of overhauls at one point.

The gist of this is, why is refueling not as easy as buying 87octane for the car.
Swipe, maybe a zip code, load and go.

No-oo, we have to answer 'is the plane bonded'?, how much fuel? Is that dollars or gallons?, who are you? Who is in the plane with you?, Where you going?
Well, it is not as facile as it should be.

The gist of this is, why is refueling not as easy as buying 87octane for the car.
Swipe, maybe a zip code, load and go.

No-oo, we have to answer 'is the plane bonded'?, how much fuel? Is that dollars or gallons?, who are you? Who is in the plane with you?, Where you going?
Well, it is not as facile as it should be.

Re: Is the plane bonded? Legit question: They don't want you blowing up on their ramp and ruining their fuel farm, and they especially don't want you to sue them because they failed to warn you to take precautions against blowing up on their ramp. Next time you're in a hardware store, read all the labels on the ladders....

Re: How many dollars/gallons of fuel are you about to buy: Some planes can take $1000+ worth of fuel at one top-off; if you were the fuel vendor, you'd probably want to know that the buyer was good for that purchase before you put the fuel in his tanks, wouldn't you? Auto gas sellers aren't exposed to that big a potential loss in a single 10-minute transaction. It's a completely legit question and actually almost all vendors do it, but it's usually invisible to you because they can get the red flag from the bank before they ship your product or hand you your bagged merchandise and terminate the transaction before they take the loss.

Re: Who are you? I got nuthin' for this one, but it's the only one that's questionable. They're certainly not the only ones who collect potentially extraneous information, though. How many times have you been asked for your phone # or zip code by some retail merchant, even if you're paying with cash?

Re: Who is in the plane with you? Where are you going? C'mon, now.

The last place I filled up wanted my N number, but only gave me letters to choose from. There must be a way to get numbers there, but I couldn't figure it out. Pressed most of the buttons, ended up with "NAAAAA." Stupid user interface!

on most of those
  • O = 0
  • i = 1
  • z = 2
  • E = 3
  • A = 4
  • Z = 5
  • b = 6
  • L = 7
  • S = 8
  • d = 9
Or maybe that's my passwords...I don't recall for sure...

:cool:

The last place I filled up wanted my N number, but only gave me letters to choose from. There must be a way to get numbers there, but I couldn't figure it out. Pressed most of the buttons, ended up with "NAAAAA." Stupid user interface!
The numbers are on the keypad. You only need to use the arrows to select letters.... as I said it's literally.
[LETTER SELECT] (the N is blinking by default)
[5] the five key on the keypad
[3]
[2]
[7]
[LEFT ARROW][LEFT ARROW][LEFT ARROW] (moves the cursor to M, L, then K)
[LETTER SELECT] (selects the K).
N5327K

It's probably all about taxes. Have to satisfy the government that someone isn't fueling their 67 Mustang from the pump.

I think in most cases it's because that's the way the FUELMASTER people programmed the thing to work. As to why they thought there's a compelling need for that feature is up for grabs.

I can tell you the time that I had my engine failure immediately on takeoff from OKV, they went and pulled samples from their self serve pump (even though I had not used it and it was pretty clear by inspection that it was not a fuel issue that caused my cylinder to fail). They also pulled fuel from my sumps which frankly, I took issue with since the people investigating the incident (the state police) did not authorize them to TOUCH my plane and the FAA had not yet responded.

Can't believe anyone benefits from the 'grounding question'.
Eg, I see no "are all tobacco products extinguished?"
How about, "is the engine off?"

I can attest that it's good to be familiar with how these things work. One time I ended up at a place called Corcoran in the Central Valley because the pumps at my planned fuel stop in Delano were not working. Corcoran was just a little crop duster strip and the kiosk was out in the open with no shade or cover so when I pressed the button to start I couldn't see anything because the lcd screen had been completely washed out by the sun constantly beating on it. Took a couple of tries but I was able to get through the sequence blind and get the pump turned on which was good because I really needed to get gas. Probably could have made it to Visalia but it would have been a little sketchy and a diversion from my course. Or I could have waited, probably wouldn't have been more than a week or a week and a half before somebody else showed up out there.

(even though I had not used it and it was pretty clear by inspection that it was not a fuel issue that caused my cylinder to fail)

Doesn't seem to matter or require logic. We had a based plane crash because the pilot accidently used the guard wire on a high line for arresting gear while landing at a grass strip. The fuel got analyzed. Fortunately, the pilot lived and flew again.

I can attest that it's good to be familiar with how these things work. One time I ended up at a place called Corcoran in the Central Valley because the pumps at my planned fuel stop in Delano were not working. Corcoran was just a little crop duster strip and the kiosk was out in the open with no shade or cover so when I pressed the button to start I couldn't see anything because the lcd screen had been completely washed out by the sun constantly beating on it. Took a couple of tries but I was able to get through the sequence blind and get the pump turned on which was good because I really needed to get gas. Probably could have made it to Visalia but it would have been a little sketchy and a diversion from my course. Or I could have waited, probably wouldn't have been more than a week or a week and a half before somebody else showed up out there.

This reminds me of one of my pet peeves, when folks don't put the cover back on the terminal! It's like not closing a door behind you, animals! Lol

We had a major issue once when water got into the dang terminal and caused it to freak out to the point we couldn't get fuel, took a couple days for them to replace a board or something, ever since that everyone at the airport always put the cover flap back down on the thing and I've always done it at subsequent airports throughout my career.

The numbers are on the keypad. You only need to use the arrows to select letters.... as I said it's literally.
[LETTER SELECT] (the N is blinking by default)
[5] the five key on the keypad
[3]
[2]
[7]
[LEFT ARROW][LEFT ARROW][LEFT ARROW] (moves the cursor to M, L, then K)
[LETTER SELECT] (selects the K).
N5327K

It was a scroll the cursor left or right on the LCD screen and hit "Select" but only letters were shown on the screen. It would not scroll left of A nor right of Z, and I saw no reference for numbers.

It was a scroll the cursor left or right on the LCD screen and hit "Select" but only letters were shown on the screen. It would not scroll left of A nor right of Z, and I saw no reference for numbers.
There's sometimes a separate numeric keypad you can use for the numbers.

Back