Why do they say "Anyone can learn how to fly"?

Ya know those people that accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake...then freak out and watch themselves drive themeless full throttle into a wall? (I actually know someone that did)...those people also should nixed from the PPL candidates list...
Some lady did that, drove into my home full throttle years ago, she thought she was on the brake.

My neighbor told me he could hear the quadrajet 4 barrel wide open coming down the street and then full exhaust as she went by before hitting my house.

Last edited:
Ya know those people that accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake...then freak out and watch themselves drive themeless full throttle into a wall? (I actually know someone that did)...those people also should nixed from the PPL candidates list...
Ya know those people who Vmc roll airplanes? …

Wrong movie, same idea:

"In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau’s famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau’s,"

Hmm, I only got Commercial AMEL Limited to CLT and Instrument Airplane. I needed to do a checkride to get my Commercial ASEL.
For some reason, they gave us commercial ASEL as well, even though it had been almost a year since we flew the T-41. But I think you already had the private pilot rating before UPT. So, not really much different. After I was discharged, I took my USAF records to the FSDO and they issued a new certificate without the centerline thrust restriction.

That nearly everyone can learn to fly doesn't mean that it's easy for everyone to learn to fly. Those are different things. It took me FOREVER to learn to land halfway well. I mean like a hundred landings or something. But I'm stubborn and patient and it eventually worked. On the other hand, some things just seemed simple. Crosswinds and minor gusts always seemed fun, unless close to the ground, and fun.

So to the OP, don't get down about it. Willing to be that some things you pick up faster than most, and some things are more of a pita. Why was Hendrix a great guitar player? Partly because he had a gift. But I think partly because he spent just about every waking moment of his short life playing the guitar, as I understand it.

I always have the student make the takeoff on the very first introductory flight. If the trim is set properly, the airplane will fly off the runway by itself.
I did the same thing.

And with hand in my lap, so a little help from an unnoticed finder under the yoke. That also works for letting them make the first landing. Use rudders for direction, as you know they are going to use them.

They are always amazed when the make the take off and landing on that first flight. And then the next full lesson, they can't do anything. :D

For some reason, they gave us commercial ASEL as well, even though it had been almost a year since we flew the T-41. But I think you already had the private pilot rating before UPT. So, not really much different. After I was discharged, I took my USAF records to the FSDO and they issued a new certificate without the centerline thrust restriction.

If it was less than a year, you may have had ASEL military time on your form. So you got the Comm ASEL. My Dad did his one day after 1 year since he flew a single engine plane (all military time), AND was out on instrument also. So he has Commercial AMEL, NO IA. :D

You could have gotten the CLT removed after your initial checkride in the C-130. I went to the GADO (before they were FSDOs), about 2 days after my initial checkride in the A-10 and had the CLT removed.

According to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, flying is easy. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss. (It might take 42 tries unless you have your blanket!)

According to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, flying is easy. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss. (It might take 42 tries unless you have your blanket!)
It's a towel. You have to know where your towel is.

Several “stick and rudder” is easy comments in this thread. Disagree. Know quite a few pilots who have many ratings, fly ok, but whose stick and rudder skills are really not there. Truthfully shows up most often in landings, particularly with a decent crosswind.

When all the axes come together, the airplane is worn, not flown. Does it really matter for the average pilot trying to get from A to B? Probably not.

I suppose, but the only non-military flying for me back then was in Cessna 172s.

Just saying. I got me CLT removed the week I qualified. I did not actually fly a multi piston for over 10 years. :D

Man it would really suck only being allowed to fly out of Charlotte. That airport blows. Glad you got that limitation removed.
I hope that needed a smiley. :D

FYI, CLT means Center Line Thrust.

It's simply a phrase applied to numerous things that you might initially think are impossible in order to break the ice and introduce the notion that hey, maybe I could. It doesn't mean that there isn't a person who couldn't.

Back