Why do some people remove radios for sale?

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
Just doing some window shopping online as I know a plane isn't in the cards anytime soon. But as I'm dreaming and looking at various planes on trade a plane I notice a few of them have the com/nav unit removed by the owner. The price seems to be reduced according to the cost of the unit, but it just seems odd to me to sell a plane with a hole in the panel. I guess the pro would be the new owner can get what they want and have it installed but now your adding the cost of the unit and install fees. I'm not sure how much it costs to install a radio or com/nav unit but I'm fairly confident its not the cheapest thing to do to a plane.

Just guessing that the owner already has a new plane in mind that he/she would like that radio in. You won't get 100% of your money back on your upgrades when you sell your plane, but will have to pay 100% for the new radio in your new plane. Take out your GTN 750 that you paid $17,000 for, reduce price by $10,000, save yourself from having to buy another GTN 750 for another $17,000.

Or --- the radio could have been broken, vacuum tube went out, etc. and just looks better to sell with a hole in the panel than have a broken Amelia Earhart brand of radio.

I never seen that, I would assume it was stolen and would discount the plane by 2X or more for the replacement cost because now you have no idea if antenna or other wiring is good.

Tom

I never seen that, I would assume it was stolen and would discount the plane by 2X or more for the replacement cost because now you have no idea if antenna or other wiring is good.

Tom
Tom is a smart man (not just because he flies a Mooney). Part of buying an airplane is to make certain all the gadgets work. Can't do that if the boxes have been yanked. I see an airplane with a gaping hole in the panel I look at another airplane. Still plenty out there.

Tom is a smart man (not just because he flies a Mooney). Part of buying an airplane is to make certain all the gadgets work. Can't do that if the boxes have been yanked. I see an airplane with a gaping hole in the panel I look at another airplane. Still plenty out there.

I learn something here every day. Never thought of "what are they hiding?"

Just guessing that the owner already has a new plane in mind that he/she would like that radio in. You won't get 100% of your money back on your upgrades when you sell your plane, but will have to pay 100% for the new radio in your new plane. Take out your GTN 750 that you paid $17,000 for, reduce price by $10,000, save yourself from having to buy another GTN 750 for another $17,000.

Or --- the radio could have been broken, vacuum tube went out, etc. and just looks better to sell with a hole in the panel than have a broken Amelia Earhart brand of radio.
I had that thought too, but the ones I've seen say something like "GNC 430 removed", I'm not saying a 430 is cheap, but its not a 20,000+ radio. Of course, I looked to see wha a replacement radio would cost in these situations and realized pretty quickly that it would be wise to stick with another 430 or something. I made the mistake of looking at the price of an avidyne unit and quickly exited out of the webpage for fear I'd get charged just for looking.

Tom
Great point, kinda like when the ad says, engine ran great on last flight but then you see the last annual was completed 3 or 4 years ago. So, the last time it flew which could have been years ago, the engine was great but is now likely shot and needs major work to get it back to spec and running smooth.

I'd guess cash flow. Even a 430 covers a years tie-down and maybe even insurance. But likely the plane is not flying...a bigger flag.

it just seems odd to me to sell a plane with a hole in the panel.
Have done a few pre-buys with holes in the panel. Since I always asked why the hole, most were due to the guy had 2 aircraft and swapped between them or the unit contained info he wanted to keep.

FYI: well over 90% of stolen avionics is moved outside the States nowadays thanks to the digital revolution.

Back