Why do many "pilot history" insurance forms ask for "occupation"?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
I'm filling out yet another pilot history form for insurance today, and like many it asks for my occupation.

Any idea why? I'm applying to be added to an aircraft policy as a pilot, or some other pilot-y reason. Why does it matter if I'm an accountant or a gigolo?

I don't like it either. I suppose it might be of interest if you're a professional pilot.

Often insurance rates will be different for a professional pilot vs other occupations, even for an owner-flown airplane.

In these cases I'm always applying to be added to someone's insurance as a paid pilot (or as a CFI), so for occupation I always just put "pilot". The fact that I have a couple other income sources I don't think is relevant.

While I'm at it, most forms (like this one) seem to ask for "Manufacturer's Ground and Flight Schools attended". I've never attended a manufacturer's school. I've attended third-party approved schools, simulator schools and in-airplane schools, all insurance-approved, but never a "manufacturer's" school. This is an example of where if I don't like the way a question is worded on one of these forms, I just answer the question the way I want and let them figure out if it's adequate or not.

I always look at insurance questions from the view, “could this answer ever be used to deny my claim?”
(I answer accurately & completely every time)

Your car insurance app also asks for your occupation. Actuaries like to collect data.

This. There are no doubt unfathomable statistical associations between occupation and likelihood of being involved in an accident of any sort.

I now just put.....''tax avoider''.

I once put bush pilot and i got a call from HR stating I needed to change my occupation because that occupation description is considered sexual discrimination.... and this was in Alaska.!!

I always answer …..model aircraft designer {Flight of the Phoenix}….. my quote is always low. o_O

I once put bush pilot and i got a call from HR stating I needed to change my occupation because that occupation description is considered sexual discrimination.... and this was in Alaska.!!
I assume “dick pilot” would be unacceptable as well, but “ass hole pilot” is non discriminatory.

eh, probably not

Your car insurance app also asks for your occupation. Actuaries like to collect data.

Car insurance app? I have been with the same company for the last 45 years. They have never cared where I work. I send them a payment and they assume I am still alive.

Car insurance app? I have been with the same company for the last 45 years. They have never cared where I work. I send them a payment and they assume I am still alive.
My insurance guy called to try to sell me life insurance once…
“You know I’m a pilot.”
“Uh, never mind.”

What’s really silly is asking this question on a form where you work as a CFI.

They may be interested if you are an attorney.

Back