Why do Cirrus drivers get such disrespect?

Bottom line:

Friends don't let friends fly plastic airplanes.

Just kidding. Never flown one, but I haven't the slightest desire to do so. The Cirrus is one of the few airplanes I can think of that has great aerodynamics but lousy aesthetics. Plus, I just can't stand (non retractable) nose-wheel airplanes - dumbed down for the (wealthy) masses. Of course, I feel the same way about Ercoupes, any Van's RV with an "A" in its designation and especially something as heinous as a tri-gear Twin Beech (that's just wrong). A similar airplane that I always thought was cool is a Lanceair IV. It looks like Meyers 200 meets F-16…without all that fixed gear embarrassment!

Bottom line:

Friends don't let friends fly plastic airplanes.

Just kidding. Never flown one, but I haven't the slightest desire to do so. The Cirrus is one of the few airplanes I can think of that has great aerodynamics but lousy aesthetics. Plus, I just can't stand (non retractable) nose-wheel airplanes - dumbed down for the (wealthy) masses. Of course, I feel the same way about Ercoupes, any Van's RV with an "A" in its designation and especially something as heinous as a tri-gear Twin Beech (that's just wrong). A similar airplane that I always thought was cool is a Lanceair IV. It looks like Meyers 200 meets F-16…without all that fixed gear embarrassment!

Certainly entitled to your opinion. I thought the same about a cirrus until I checked one out in person.

Completely beautiful and sleek. The fixed gear might not be your cup of tea but when it flies as fast as or faster then most retractables with a single engine I don't mind it much. The added safety and savings in MX make it that much more appealing. You can even slow it down and get really nice fuel burn.

As always, there are two sides to the coin. People will find reasons to like it and dislike it.

Personally, the wife explained her desire to have a newer (years 2000+) plane with a parachute. And I've already decided on a SR22. Just going to finish my ppl and IR in the 235 to build hours and hopefully I'll be flying the SR22 by late 2015.

Just because I drive a car doesn't mean I'm instantly in love with the ******* who just cut me off.

I can understand getting upset over stuff like that, but the bickering that goes on between some of the adherents of different types of aircraft is beyond petty. I don't think less of people who drive certain types of cars, and I feel the same way about airplanes. It's the WAY people drive or fly that counts in my book, not WHAT they drive or fly.

I'm depressed. I've learned that I must be snobby, ignorant, a bad pilot and I probably have bad breath too. <sigh>

Oh yeah, I must also be rich. I don't feel rich. My new to me car came with 11,000 miles and is a Hyundai. Maybe it's really a Ferrari but since I'm ignorant I haven't figured it out.

It's amazing what people can figure out about me just by the plane I fly even though they have never met me.

You can redeem yourself by giving me your Cirrus. I don't mind the stereotypes, actually they kind fit me.;)

:rofl:

I can understand getting upset over stuff like that, but the bickering that goes on between some of the adherents of different types of aircraft is beyond petty. I don't think less of people who drive certain types of cars, and I feel the same way about airplanes. It's the WAY people drive or fly that counts in my book, not WHAT they drive or fly.

:yeahthat:

GA has enough problems without the pilots killing and eating each other. :yes:

Everyone knows if you want ugly planes...just ask the French:

9-weider-history-group-archive.jpg

7-weider-history-group-archive.jpg

11-weider-history-group-archive.jpg

Ever hear the joke?
What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW???

For a couple years my Mooney Acclaim shared a hangar with a nice turbo Cirrus of roughly the same vintage. My wife had never ridden in a Cirrus and the Cirrus owner had never ridden in a Mooney, so I arranged to swap rides with him. After riding in the Cirrus my wife and I went to breakfast and I asked her what she thought. Her reply: "The Cirrus is the plane you buy for your wife. The Mooney is the plane you buy for the pilot." Priceless. :yes:

Started in a 1970 C150 which rented for $50 and hour. Loved it. Am now renting an SR20 which rents for $215 and hour. Love it, as well.

An airplane is an airplane. If you're a good pilot, you'll be a good pilot no matter what you fly. If you're an @sshole, you'll be the same no matter what you fly.

Pretty much...

Certainly entitled to your opinion. I thought the same about a cirrus until I checked one out in person.

Completely beautiful and sleek. The fixed gear might not be your cup of tea but when it flies as fast as or faster then most retractables with a single engine I don't mind it much. The added safety and savings in MX make it that much more appealing. You can even slow it down and get really nice fuel burn.

As always, there are two sides to the coin. People will find reasons to like it and dislike it.

Personally, the wife explained her desire to have a newer (years 2000+) plane with a parachute. And I've already decided on a SR22. Just going to finish my ppl and IR in the 235 to build hours and hopefully I'll be flying the SR22 by late 2015.

You'll enjoy it, especially if that makes your wife a willing participant. I wouldn't bother building a bunch more time, nor getting your IR in the Dakota if you are going to get a Cirrus right after. Much more effective from a skill and proficiency value angle to do your IR in the SR-22 you intend to be flying flights with passengers. That way you'll get a good handle on the equipment and airplane before you start hauling family. Also you can insure the CFII and do a hardcore 40-50hrs of training and get your IR in the plane then apply to insure with you as primary you might save a substantial amount on year one and forward insurance. If you are not familiar with the avionics, it will take 40hrs before you are comfortable and competent with them in an IFR environment. Might as well combine it all and get to max proficiency in your long term machine as early as possible.

For a couple years my Mooney Acclaim shared a hangar with a nice turbo Cirrus of roughly the same vintage. My wife had never ridden in a Cirrus and the Cirrus owner had never ridden in a Mooney, so I arranged to swap rides with him. After riding in the Cirrus my wife and I went to breakfast and I asked her what she thought. Her reply: "The Cirrus is the plane you buy for your wife. The Mooney is the plane you buy for the pilot." Priceless. :yes:

Allow me to translate that for you:

"The Cirrus is the plane you should have bought if you cared about me. The Mooney is the plane you selfishly bought for yourself now you expect me to be crammed in this old fashioned tin can with my legs stretched out. And now if you die of a heart attack I'm DEAD DEAD DEAD because there is no chute!".

:D

You'll enjoy it, especially if that makes your wife a willing participant. I wouldn't bother building a bunch more time, nor getting your IR in the Dakota if you are going to get a Cirrus right after. Much more effective from a skill and proficiency value angle to do your IR in the SR-22 you intend to be flying flights with passengers. That way you'll get a good handle on the equipment and airplane before you start hauling family. Also you can insure the CFII and do a hardcore 40-50hrs of training and get your IR in the plane then apply to insure with you as primary you might save a substantial amount on year one and forward insurance. If you are not familiar with the avionics, it will take 40hrs before you are comfortable and competent with them in an IFR environment. Might as well combine it all and get to max proficiency in your long term machine as early as possible.

Great advice. Gotta start looking now.

Prolly similar to what one gets when they crow about their Univ of Phoenix degree in business Management.

I think the OP has hit on the majority of the cases. Cost, chute, fixed gear, glass panel. Despite all the money spent, their dispatch reliability isn't light years ahead of any other GA plane. Propose, or theoretical safety enhancements have not lived up to the hype either.

Having said that, I would like to fly a Cirrus, but in the same category, I'd prolly opt to buy a top of line Mooney or Columbia.

Ditto,

I had dinner at Whitted Airport and I saw two planes tied down next to each other. A silver Cirrus SR22 and a Burgundy Mooney Acclaim. As a newbie the Mooney looks more attractive IMO, that was a beautiful plane!

"Why do Cirrus drivers get such disrespect?"

Since we are dealing with perceptions and not necessarily reality I guess it is the lack of assimilation with the flying community at the airport that stands out to me. There used to be an SR-22 in the hangar facing mine, and other than a friendly waive once in a while the owner made no effort to know any of his neighbors. Going to his hangar to say hello typically encroached on his rushed efforts to either ready the plane to fly, or to put it away. I cannot recall him ever poking his head into my hangar to say hello. When he would go flying he left his hangar doors open and his car outside making it difficult or impossible for planes farther down the row to depart or get to their hangar after arriving back home. Also noteworthy was the empty and sterile hangar. No couch, no fridge, no tools, no poster or chart on the wall. Just nothing showing a love of the aviation community, or of being at the airport was present.

So should this guy reflect all drivers of Cirri? I would think no, but this thread makes me wonder if this is happening at other fields as well. Regarding the airplanes I don't really know much about them except for what I can pick up by watching them pass me in the air.

Since we are dealing with perceptions and not necessarily reality I guess it is the lack of assimilation with the flying community at the airport that stands out to me. There used to be an SR-22 in the hangar facing mine, and other than a friendly waive once in a while the owner made no effort to know any of his neighbors. Going to his hangar to say hello typically encroached on his rushed efforts to either ready the plane to fly, or to put it away. I cannot recall him ever poking his head into my hangar to say hello. When he would go flying he left his hangar doors open and his car outside making it difficult or impossible for planes farther down the row to depart or get to their hangar after arriving back home. Also noteworthy was the empty and sterile hangar. No couch, no fridge, no tools, no poster or chart on the wall. Just nothing showing a love of the aviation community, or of being at the airport was present.

So should this guy reflect all drivers of Cirri? I would think no, but this thread makes me wonder if this is happening at other fields as well. Regarding the airplanes I don't really know much about them except for what I can pick up by watching them pass me in the air.

Don't hold this against that Cirrus pilot. He has to work hard to pay for his shiny new bird and needed to rush back to work. He didn't have time to come and chat with you with his punishing 80 hour work week.

;)

I have none of that in my hangar, and I have 6 ratings and am an airport manager. I also don't fly a Cirrus.

The Cirrus $ is worth it. I just can't afford it. :dunno:

Has anyone read the tag for this thread? It is hilarious! The last tag is "unwashed." What does that mean???

The last tag is "unwashed." What does that mean???

Post #2. Henning pointed out that the unwashed masses piloting lesser aircraft may have jealousy issues.

:yesnod:

Chiming in, Cirrus Owner SR22. Started out with a Cherokee 180 (loved that plane). My Cirrus is a 2001. It has a six pack (no glass or save me button). I bought it for about 150k and use it for my business. I wave always and love to talk with older pilots to gain perspectives.
I think greed,envy and arrogance aren't relegated to just people with money. To have a pilot fly a Cirrus without good, ongoing stick and rudder work is a bad mistake, just like it is in a Cherokee 180, except the Cirrus will kill you faster.
I read all of the posts and enjoyed them all. Let's face it, we all have bias of some type .

Back