Why do Cirrus drivers get such disrespect?

Cirrus has done a good job of getting more people to look at GA as a useful business tool, just like the old Cessna and Piper advertisements tried to do. Getting more people into flying GA should be a goal for all of us. Check out the price of a new Cessna 172. Those are $$$ also! Envy may be part of the "Cirrus perception" but that is probably only because Cirri weren't made back in the 60' and 70's and there are no "old" ragged out Cirri around :).

I had a friend tell me to come pick him up. He told me to "cross the fence" at 75 knots and that was my Cirrus checkout. It was a G1 SR20 w/ a 2-blades prop so it was EARLY, but I still enjoyed flying it.

I still think the light-sport planes are the best for dating. It's a lot easier to get some elbow boob action that way. Nice and snug.

Luckily, someone has added a tag to this thread

:rofl:

From my experience its not the airplane that causes the dislike, its the pilot flying it.

Cirri are nice A/C, with some very nice tech... BUT every time I've seen one flying around or heard one on the radio, the thought that runs through my head is:

"Too much airplane, not enough pilot".

My flight school has an SR20 with the super shiny blue paint. I try not to drool every time I see it.

1 hour in the SR20 = 2.5 hours in the C152. Think I know what I'll be flying for a long time to come.

There was another successful chute pull a few days ago in a 2000 SR20. Loss of oil pressure over the Sonoran desert, just south of the border. Very unpleasant terrain, no airports. It would have been an ugly place to land, but thanks to the chute the pilot lived.

Is it just me, but does it just seem odd every time someone lives after landing with a Cirrus chute, it is counted as a "save".

Is it just me, but does it just seem odd every time someone lives after landing with a Cirrus chute, it is counted as a "save".

Don't be jealous :lol:

Well, what would you call it if the chute is not pulled and the pilot and occupants die?

There are far too many of those.

Including me*.

*But fortunately I only "died" in a simulator.

Well, what would you call it if the chute is not pulled and the pilot and occupants die?

There are far too many of those.

Including me*.

*But fortunately I only "died" in a simulator.

It's possible that some of those saved pilots might have made a successful emergency landing without a chute.

"Self righteous know it all" attitude + "I can't afford it therefore it must suck attitude" + a few douchy unskilled (but think they are Chuck Yeager) bragging Cirrus pilots = what the OP experienced.

I think Cirrus are great planes and I can't afford one so OP: I hate you :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's possible that some of those saved pilots might have made a successful emergency landing without a chute.

John Doe;
Dude, you had a chance to save yourself AND your plane... why didn't you?

Cirrus Pilot;
I saved my life, why would I risk trying to save the plane?

Just how I see that discussion taking place.

John Doe;

Cirrus Pilot;

Because saving the plane might also save people on the ground.

Pull the chute, come down anywhere. Guide the plane to the ground, avoid people.

Pull the chute, come down anywhere. Guide the plane to the ground, avoid people.

So far, one truck has been hit. The driver had no injuries. The rocket makes quite a noise when it goes off. It has demonstrated many times to be enough to attract both cameras and attention to warn those on the ground.

You can always argue the opposite and thats fine.

How many pilots have gone nose first into a house while they hand fly it? I wonder if its safer to hit a house while floating down via parachute then barrel right into the roof like an arrow.

Haters gon' hate :dunno:

Not only is it possible, some have.

NTSB said:
On May 16, 2013, about 1120 central daylight time, a Cirrus Design Corp SR22, N715CD, airplane ballistic parachute was activated by the pilot during flight near Dallas, Texas. The parachute pack did not deploy and remained in it's compartment. The rocket was deployed and expended. The airplane received no damage. The private pilot was uninjured. The airplane was registered to Jeramiah 2911 Inc and operated by the pilot under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Marginal visual flight rules conditions prevailed and the flight was operating on instrument rules flight plan for the flight that orginated from Addison Airport (ADS), Dallas, Texas, about 1055 and was destined for Independence Municipal Airport (IDP), Independence, Kansas. The flight returned to ADS and landed without further incident.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20130520X84445&key=1

I just look at pulling the chute as giving up. Losers give up. :)

John Doe;

Cirrus Pilot;

I'm not saying how anyone should respond to an emergency. I'm just saying that I can understand Dera's point, which was, if I understand it correctly, that counting every chute landing as a save might be an exaggeration, because it assumes that none of those people would have survived without the chute.

So lets say your in a mid-air and the tail gets taken off, and your in an uncontrollable spin. Im gonna bet your turning into a "loooooser" in a millisecond :D

I've never understood the divisiveness within general aviation. It seems to me that if you love aviation, none of the BS should matter.

I've never understood the divisiveness within general aviation. It seems to me that if you love aviation, none of the BS should matter.

Except, people with more money than talent become obstacles in allowing me to afford general aviation. Thence, our interests are not shared.

Except, people with more money than talent become obstacles in allowing me to afford general aviation. Thence, our interests are not shared.

They are the people buying new planes that become used planes others can afford.

Cirrus is a great plane. And it's diverted the haters from bonanza's and comanche's

Don't go skydiving. They all have a backup chute....

It's just trading something that isn't working for something that will...not giving up at all....

Don't go skydiving. They all have a backup chute....

It's just trading something that isn't working for something that will...not giving up at all....

I've always wondered what point of wearing reserves was for minimum level 500 foot drops.

Can you expand on that? How does someone else's participating in GA become an obstacle to your doing so?

I'm depressed. I've learned that I must be snobby, ignorant, a bad pilot and I probably have bad breath too. <sigh>

Oh yeah, I must also be rich. I don't feel rich. My new to me car came with 11,000 miles and is a Hyundai. Maybe it's really a Ferrari but since I'm ignorant I haven't figured it out.

It's amazing what people can figure out about me just by the plane I fly even though they have never met me.

When people start putting down planes I'm reminded of the story of the young man with the grizzled old flight instructor as they walked out for a lesson. The student sees an old plane with oxidized paint and says:

"That's one ugly plane."

The instructor replies:

"Son, there are no ugly planes. Some are just prettier than others."

As for me, I love planes. Beyond that we are talking fine points.

"Son, there are no ugly planes. Some are just prettier than others."

Well, as a counter-example:

Wilga_PZL_35_400x230.jpg

:yikes:

Real men don't fly planes with parachutes.

Just because I drive a car doesn't mean I'm instantly in love with the ******* who just cut me off.

Started in a 1970 C150 which rented for $50 and hour. Loved it. Am now renting an SR20 which rents for $215 and hour. Love it, as well.

An airplane is an airplane. If you're a good pilot, you'll be a good pilot no matter what you fly. If you're an @sshole, you'll be the same no matter what you fly.

Back