Why did I log it that way?

M

MrLogs

This is not so much a legal mistake as it is an annoying problem.

I’ve been logging flights as cross country anytime I land somewhere else. I’ve been doing this for a while, under one column. I have 400 hours, and am working towards the airlines.

How do I explain this? Can I split the column into two for my next logbook for simplicity or will it look unprofessional?

I have an electronic logbook where the cross country time is categorized, accuracy is not a problem. For IACRA, I’ve always used the appropriate time category.

Do you have an open column? Can you label is XC over 50 and put in the proper info?

§ 61.1 Applicability and definitions.
Cross-country time means—
(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and

You are logging the time correctly.

(ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under § 61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—
(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;

(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

Use a different column in your logbook for time required for any certificate.

Since the only thing the "point-to-point" cross countries are good for is Part 135 qualification, most use the column for the >50 NM ones that count for their airplane private, commercial and ATP certificates and instrument rating. If you do want to track both, a separate or split column is definitely an appropriate way to accomplish it.

My understanding, at least with the logbook, you can pretty much do what you want with it. That being said, you need to be able to explain it and how you arrived at numbers for certifications. Now I know nothing about airline’s requirements. Way above my pay grade!

Just go back and put an X or CC on the far right margin of all those flights that count.

I only log XC when it’s >50mi, but started to put an S in the right margin to denote Solo for the commercial rating.

I would highlight, in yellow or pink, any time that is used toward a rating that you have already logged. You can also use sticky notes, or any other way to make notations. Then, make a spreadsheet or other column method, and track the time toward that rating so you have a running total. I did this with my commercial- made it easy for the DPE to check my required time.

Time not used for a rating, certificate or proficiency does not need to be logged, but good practice to do that correctly as well.

I’ve been logging flights as cross country anytime I land somewhere else. I’ve been doing this for a while, under one column. I have 400 hours, and am working towards the airlines.

How do I explain this? Can I split the column into two for my next logbook for simplicity or will it look unprofessional?

I have an electronic logbook where the cross country time is categorized, accuracy is not a problem. For IACRA, I’ve always used the appropriate time category.
?? A Cross Country is a Cross Country. For certain Certificates you have to meet some distance requirements for it to count towards Certification. Do the airlines have some thing where the will only count a Cross Country of a certain distance to meet their Hiring requirements?

My understanding, at least with the logbook, you can pretty much do what you want with it. That being said, you need to be able to explain it and how you arrived at numbers for certifications. Now I know nothing about airline’s requirements. Way above my pay grade!
Well, there is that funny FAR 61.59 which limits what you do just a wee bit.

Well, there is that funny FAR 61.59 which limits what you do just a wee bit.
I get where you’re coming from. I should have explained more. There is the minimum requirements as spelled out. But I am under the impression that if I enter more info on/in my logbook that’s fine. Example: I have every page numbered and every line line has a letter next to it. So when asked how I say came up with x amount of xctry, or instruction time I can list that right out on a spread sheet. Page 8, lines a, d, f, j …. Or split a flight that had day and night landing and takeoffs by 3d/2n. I didn’t mean not enter minimal requirements. I’m asking sincerely here, but that’s okay right? Had several checkrides and only been complimented on how streamlined my books were. But if a very anal FAA type wanted to put my books under a microscope, I don’t want to get whacked. So please let me know. I see nothing in the FAR saying too much info is bad, but now I’m wondering.

I get where you’re coming from. I should have explained more. There is the minimum requirements as spelled out. But I am under the impression that if I enter more info on/in my logbook that’s fine. Example: I have every page numbered and every line line has a letter next to it. So when asked how I say came up with x amount of xctry, or instruction time I can list that right out on a spread sheet. Page 8, lines a, d, f, j …. Or split a flight that had day and night landing and takeoffs by 3d/2n. I didn’t mean not enter minimal requirements. I’m asking sincerely here, but that’s okay right? Had several checkrides and only been complimented on how streamlined my books were. But if a very anal FAA type wanted to put my books under a microscope, I don’t want to get whacked. So please let me know. I see nothing in the FAR saying too much info is bad, but now I’m wondering.
I'm not sure how to answer that. I doubt you've done anything to incriminate yourself for that "very anal FAA type" :D

The logbook formats published by ASA, Jepp, etc are their attempt to help you collect the data 61.51 and other rules say you need to demonstrate qualification and currency. They are not all-inclusive and not the only way (we'll leave out tossing a bunch of cocktail napkins on an ASIs desk). People have always added and repurposed columns (tracking complex time is common) and annotated for various reasons. So long as you are not putting in things that are false or misleading, or adding remarks like "great airplane I stole today!" or "I don't know why we have to wait 8 hours bottle to throttle. I was fine!" you're probably OK.

Far 61.59 for dummies:

don’t lie.

Other than seeking ratings you can do pretty much whatever you want. Even nothing. As long as you can prove currency. For ratings, as long as you don’t lie and can explain your system in a way that doesn’t make them shake their head you’re good.

I would leave it as is. The only thing in my physical logbook is flight reviews and and IPCs that require a signature. Everything else is in an excel sheet. For checkride purposes, I print out the entire excel in a logbook format, and sign each page stating that they are true and accurate. No one has ever questioned it.

I'm not sure how to answer that. I doubt you've done anything to incriminate yourself for that "very anal FAA type" :D

The logbook formats published by ASA, Jepp, etc are their attempt to help you collect the data 61.51 and other rules say you need to demonstrate qualification and currency. They are not all-inclusive and not the only way (we'll leave out tossing a bunch of cocktail napkins on an ASIs desk). People have always added and repurposed columns (tracking complex time is common) and annotated for various reasons. So long as you are not putting in things that are false or misleading, or adding remarks like "great airplane I stole today!" or "I don't know why we have to wait 8 hours bottle to throttle. I was fine!" you're probably OK.
Wheeeew! Glad to hear the “flew naked” column is okay. I’d hate to loose all those hours. Getting out after a flight and fueling in the depth of winter can be embarrassing. The little pilot looks like a one dollar stack of quarters. Okay dimes! Happy now?

Back