Why aren't more Cirrus(Cirri?) used as aerobatic airplanes?

Because you actually have to turn the autopilot off to do any aerobatic maneuvers.

It was my understanding that the parachute was installed because the plane couldn't recover from a spin as required by the certification standards. The chute was a work-around. So, the marketing program was built around the safety of the chute, not the spin characteristics. I guess it's a great example of making lemonade from lemons.

I should note that this is second-hand information and I don't have a source to link.

It was my understanding that the parachute was installed because the plane couldn't recover from a spin as required by the certification standards. The chute was a work-around. So, the marketing program was built around the safety of the chute, not the spin characteristics. I guess it's a great example of making lemonade from lemons.

I should note that this is second-hand information and I don't have a source to link.

It's not true. This story has been repeated over and over.

Why aren't more Cirrus(Cirri?) used as aerobatic airplanes? Because the wives that allow Cirri to be purchased don't like all that boy stuff.

IIRC, the Cirrus was demonstrated as "spin resistant" per 23.221.

I vote Bryan's new name here be Zima!

Hold it right there!

The Zima is good tonight too!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Not Zima.jpg
    Not Zima.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 174
Just something I've noticed... the Cirrus has one hell of a roll rate.

Just something I've noticed... the Cirrus has one hell of a roll rate.

Cirrus should put one into a experimental category (with nothing but an inverted oil system) and send someone on the airshow circuit to fly an aerobatic routine with it.

Cirrus demonstrated spin recovery for European certification. Because of the chute, the FAA did not require it. Just because it wasn't done for the FAA doesn't mean it can't be done.

Cirrus should put one into a experimental category (with nothing but an inverted oil system) and send someone on the airshow circuit to fly an aerobatic routine with it.

I agree! My guess is that the airplane is more than capable of some maneuvers. However Cirrus is really pushing safety, so I doubt they would want people to see what it could do then go out and try themselves. I would like to see it for added peace of mind in the air-frame construction though.

I agree! My guess is that the airplane is more than capable of some maneuvers. However Cirrus is really pushing safety, so I doubt they would want people to see what it could do then go out and try themselves. I would like to see it for added peace of mind in the air-frame construction though.

Of course nothing radical. If Matt Younkin can fly an aerobatic routine in a Beech 18, it should be entirely possible to do a similar routine in a SR22. Seing a SR22 recover from a spin may help to put the spin recovery story to rest.

People have already tried to do aerobatics in their Cirrus, the last guy started a barrel roll at 200ft over the everglades :eek:

The Cirrus has a chute because Alan Klapmeier had a mid air collision where the other guy got killed.

For FAA certification, spin recovery did not have to be demonstrated because the Cirrus has a chute.

AFAIK, Cirri have been spin tested by some brave souls.

For FAA certification, spin recovery did not have to be demonstrated because the Cirrus has a chute.

Soooo, the SR-22 is $75k cheaper because of all the certification costs they saved?

Back