Why are there so many GA plane manufacturers if they sell so few new planes?

wildb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildb
With new plane sales so low how are there still so many different models and brands of planes?

How many manufacturers do you think there are?

How many manufacturers do you think there are?

Not many for sure. Textron (Cessna & Beechcraft), AVIC (Cirrus & Mooney (and Continental Motors)), Vans, Piper, Pilatus, and who else?

Since a home builder is considered the manufacturer and his name typically goes on the data plate, I guess there are thousands of manufacturers.

Not many for sure. Textron (Cessna & Beechcraft), AVIC (Cirrus & Mooney (and Continental Motors)), Vans, Piper, Pilatus, and who else?

American Champion, Maule, Aviat and all of the Cub clones to name a few.

With new plane sales so low how are there still so many different models and brands of planes?

In theory, profit is profit. We like to think that a manufacturer of a product must make tens of thousands of an item to make them profitable. In fact there is more than one way to make a profit. You can make money on very low production numbers.

If a plane manufacturer can sell say 20-30 planes a year and each one goes for $700,000, that's $14,000,000 to $21,000,000 gross income. In theory let's say each plane costs $ 650,000 to build all in. That's $1,000,000 to $1,500,000 in profit. That's enough to stay in business and carry on.

I have to assume that there are enough buyers with the means to pay these prices that also have a wide variety of missions, likes and desires to keep all the manufactures hanging on by a thread with their different offerings.

Don't forget about the Diamond Manufacturer!

30 airplanes at $20k each is only $600k a year. Even if this covers payroll and all other costs, this isn't much profit for a $18m / year company.

brian];1950528 said:
30 airplanes at $20k each is only $600k a year. Even if this covers payroll and all other costs, this isn't much profit for a $18m / year company.

Cost to Manufacture includes payroll, doesn't it? Can't hardly pay 100 people a year with $1M. I wouldn't can't work for $10,000 annually.

Many manufacturers try to maintain ~50% margin! through economy if scale; this doesn't work with low volume production.

Last edited:
Don't forget they sell parts too! :D Price a couple what appear to be $20 items from Cessna and you'll see where they make money! :eek:
I would guess the gross profit margin in a piston single would be in the 20% range, but that's just a guess.:D Turbines probably less. :dunno:

Don't forget they sell parts too! :D Price a couple what appear to be $20 items from Cessna and you'll see where they make money! :eek:

I would guess the gross profit margin in a piston single would be in the 20% range, but that's just a guess.:D Turbines probably less. :dunno:

How long do auto manufacturers support cars with factory parts?

For certified single engine piston aircraft:
Cirrus, Cessna, Piper, Mooney, Beech?, Aviat, Diamond, American Champion, Maule, Extra

Probably left some out (European?).

One reason why so many is aircraft mfg is a "glamour business". That is, there are other reasons besides money people want to be in the aircraft business.

There are a fascinatingly large number of aircraft. Just look at Tradeaplane...

Momentum. The big $$ to develop the product is spent (in some cases a long time ago).

Back