Why are females never to blame for anything?

I had a lapse of judgement today with the other species.

While elbows deep in my watering system I heard my phone buzz. The text message read

"Are you busy right now?"

to which my response back was

"Yes, I'm working on my watering system"

Her response was

"Well I need to go someplace and everyone is gone. But IF you're busy it's fine...."

My GLORIOUS response was

"Well if you told me yesterday I'd be happy to but I'm currently holding a broken pipe"

I might as well have stabbed myself with the pipe and ended it all!!! I'm not even dating this woman and I haven't heard the end of it!!

It's been my observation that on the whole, men and women have different understandings of the concept of time and how it should be spent.

Men strictly compartmentalize time. The day is divided into different time periods, each of which is neatly defined and dedicated to some specific purpose. Anything that diverts or distracts a man from the assigned purpose of a block of time is considered a nuisance and an annoyance.

Women are more flexible about time. All time is for everything; and time assignments represent, at most, weak suggestions for the tasks that should be focused upon during any given block of time. Diversions and distractions are assumed -- even welcomed -- regardless of the nominal purpose of the time block during which they occur.

I believe that most men's honest answer to the question, "What do you find most annoying about women?" would have something to do with women wanting to talk about things at inopportune times such as during work time, sleep time, fixing something time, football game time, and so forth. They find it impossible to comprehend that women don't compartmentalize time the way men do. They also fail to understand the emotional importance that talking and communicating have for women. They wonder why a woman could possibly consider some particular conversation important enough to intrude upon whatever they happen to be doing because they don't grasp that for women, it is the talking itself, not just the topic of conversation, that is important.

Women, conversely, often complain that their men never want to talk. They're incapable of comprehending the male concept of time compartmentalization. They consider a man's unwillingness to talk during some time slot that's assigned to some specific purpose a rejection. Utterances such as "You love [your job, your football, that pipe you're fixing, that brain you're operating on, etc.] more than you love me" are not in the least bit uncommon when women's attempts to talk while their men are busy at some task are rejected or met with annoyance.

I attribute these differences to evolution. Until a relatively recent point in human evolution, men were hunters and warriors. Both are occupations that require great focus and stealth. Idle chatter can result in the failure of a hunt by scaring away the game, or cause you to get killed in battle by alerting the enemy to your presence. Men who managed to survive and pass on their genes, therefore, were the ones who were genetically predisposed to being able to sharply focus on the task at hand and keep their mouths shut.

Women, on the other hand, gathered fruits, nuts, and vegetables and raised children. In those vocations, communication and a sensitivity to same are assets. Babies know nothing of timing and schedules, so being sensitive to their needs and tolerant of their disruptions was a survival skill for a woman. On a group level, sharing knowledge of the whereabouts of resources was also a survival skill, and women who managed to survive and pass on their genes tended to be the ones who were most adept at communication and the most sensitive to and able to deal with interruptions.

People who manage department stores understand this. All the stuff that men tend to be interested in are placed as far away from the entrance as possible to force men to walk through the entire store in the hope that something along the way will distract them enough that the men will buy it. Men are hunters. They're focused on the task at hand. So the store treats them as a women would: They throw as many distractions in their paths as possible by forcing them to walk through the entire store just to buy a spark plug for the lawnmower.

The stuff that women tend to be interested in, on the other hand, is placed as close to the entrance as possible. Women are gatherers, so being greeted with great bounty as soon as they enter the store represents success for them. They found the fruits, nuts, and vegetables. That makes them want to explore further just to see what other resources the forest may hold. They don't need any further enticement. They're going to explore every aisle anyway.

I've also observed that these traits are chromosomally-linked and express themselves during childhood, somewhere around ages 7 to 10, which is when the hormonal precursors to puberty and adulthood actually start kicking in. When shopping for a specific item in a department store, boys in that age range already tend to make a beeline for the department that sells that item. Girls, on the other hand, tend to explore every department of the store except the one that sells the item they came for, saving that department for last. Men are hunters. Women are gatherers.

These are all generalizations, of course. There are exceptions in both genders. The characteristics are not so much innate as they were adaptive and therefore favored by evolution. There's nothing essentially "male" about hunting nor essentially "female" about gathering. But aptitude for those activities was adaptive enough for a long enough time that most men and women still have those traits.

The problem with that is twofold. Firstly, society has evolved more quickly than biology ever could; so what was once adaptive now becomes a source of mutual frustration and annoyance. Secondly, too many people refuse to accept that their are innate differences between male thinking and female thinking. They want to pretend that those differences don't exist; and therefore, when men respond like men and women respond like women, they consider those responses to be personally directed toward them rather than a manifestation of a more general, gender-linked adaptation.

Men would do well, when their women interrupt them during some task, to tell themselves, "She's interrupting me because she's a woman, and multitasking and communicating were survival skills for women for millions of years," rather than, "She's interrupting me because she insists on preventing me from finishing this task."

Likewise, women would do well, when their men seem to be ignoring them, to tell themselves, "He's ignoring me because being task-focused and ignoring distractions were survival skills for men for millions of years," rather than, "He's ignoring me because he doesn't love me."

Much pain, heartache, and frustration could be avoided if men and women accepted these differences and stopped pretending that they don't exist. The trend, however, seems to be in the exact opposite direction.

Rich

Last edited:
So then “woman, gather me a beer” would be the more effective approach than “get me a beer” and also “can’t you see I’m working here?!?”

I signed up for Psych 101 and dropped it within the week. I found the whole subject to be a bunch of BS.

I signed up for Psych 101 and dropped it within the week. I found the whole subject to be a bunch of BS.

Ha! I did too. I don't think I went to more than 1 or 2 classes and dropped it.

So does having issues with psychology mean that you have psychological issues?
No, misconstruing issues with how psychology is taught as psychological issues does indicate psychological issues.

This week I replaced brake pads that 'just started squealing' but were metal on metal and I am looking at a dented rim that 'must have been the valet guy'.

This week I replaced brake pads that 'just started squealing' but were metal on metal and I am looking at a dented rim that 'must have been the valet guy'.

Ha, my wife has warped the front rotors on just about every car we've ever owned. I try to get her to brake evenly instead of waiting until the last moment, but "This is how I've driven all my life..."

Ha, my wife has warped the front rotors on just about every car we've ever owned. I try to get her to brake evenly instead of waiting until the last moment, but "This is how I've driven all my life..."

And they all seem to aim for those potholes....

best analogy I've heard about male vs female thought process is men are waffles and women are spaghetti.

Men process like a waffle - one square at a time. Women process like spaghetti - multi-threaded.

I can occasionally use the "I'm still on the first square" with my wife and she sorta gets it.

best analogy I've heard about male vs female thought process is men are waffles and women are spaghetti.

Men process like a waffle - one square at a time. Women process like spaghetti - multi-threaded.

I can occasionally use the "I'm still on the first square" with my wife and she sorta gets it.
I thought that perhaps you meant that women are best when sauced properly.

I’ve always been amazed at how fast some women drive when they’ve taken me for a ride...

And they all seem to aim for those potholes....

A couple of years ago I meet my wife in a parking lot. She sees me, aims straight for me and goes through the mother of all potholes. Managed to not only bust the tire but also crack the aluminum rim. But she refuses to drive the truck....

If I'm riding with her driving I just sit there and take it. Ain't worth it no more...:(

A couple of years ago I meet my wife in a parking lot. She sees me, aims straight for me and goes through the mother of all potholes. Managed to not only bust the tire but also crack the aluminum rim. But she refuses to drive the truck....

My wife sometimes takes right hand corners too tight, resulting in the rear wheel either bashing through a giant pothole or bashing over a big curb. Either way the net result is a blown tire and a bent rim. When looking for her last new car I suggested an SUV since it would stand up to abuse better, but no, she likes her mid-sized sedans.

My wife sometimes takes right hand corners too tight, resulting in the rear wheel either bashing through a giant pothole or bashing over a big curb. Either way the net result is a blown tire and a bent rim. When looking for her last new car I suggested an SUV since it would stand up to abuse better, but no, she likes her mid-sized sedans.

Well in fairness, she probably learned that from you watching you ride your bike. Does she lean when she does that? ;)

Just to pick a nit: is she turning too tight or turning too soon? I mostly see folks turning early so they don't have to turn the steering wheel so far. Lazy driver syndrome

Well in fairness, she probably learned that from you watching you ride your bike. Does she lean when she does that? ;)

When we 1st got married, she thought she might like to learn to ride her own motorcycle. So, she takes the MSF course, and comes home from the Friday night class session all jazzed. Saturday morning off she goes, and Saturday has a lot of range exercises where you actually learn to ride the bike under supervision on a parking lot course.

She bursts in Saturday evening, front door flying open into the stop, and yells at the top of her lungs "No way am I ever f****** riding my own motorcycle!" OK, got it!

She didn't complete the class.

Just to pick a nit: is she turning too tight or turning too soon? I mostly see folks turning early so they don't have to turn the steering wheel so far. Lazy driver syndrome

Usually when she's trying to turn onto a busy road, finds a little spot, nails the gas, and isn't quite precise enough in car placement to avoid doom. So, when flustered.

I'm teaching our daughter to drive, and she thinks I'm being very picky in how she does right/left turns onto other roads, but I explain to her that placing the car properly into the lane without impacting other drivers or damaging the car is very important.

Same here. Big balloon tires would deal much better with that kind of abuse.

That being said, she is a great driver, never crashed a car, always gets where she needs to go. But damn she is rough on the hardware...

When we 1st got married, she thought she might like to learn to ride her own motorcycle. So, she takes the MSF course, and comes home from the Friday night class session all jazzed. Saturday morning off she goes, and Saturday has a lot of range exercises where you actually learn to ride the bike under supervision on a parking lot course.

She bursts in Saturday evening, front door flying open into the stop, and yells at the top of her lungs "No way am I ever f****** riding my own motorcycle!" OK, got it!

She didn't complete the class.

That's funny! What changed her mind about it?

That being said, she is a great driver, never crashed a car, always gets where she needs to go. But damn she is rough on the hardware...

Yeah, same here. She never crashes, and really tries to be a good driver, but she is rough on the cars sometimes.

That's funny! What changed her mind about it?

She realized that she wasn't wired for it. To be a successful motorcyclist you have to pay attention 100% of the time, and must be processing a lot of information simultaneously, and then act properly on that information. She realized that she just couldn't do that and would likely become road pizza. And I'm good with that. She loves to ride with me and look at the scenery while I'm up front juggling all the variables to keep us alive.

And I think that is why I like bikes and planes, they are challenging and rewarding yet dangerous hobbies. Observe, analyze, and act correctly, and it's very rewarding. Hose up, and you could die. And, it's all on you!

Before you got married there was her money and your money.
After you get marrried there's her money and "our money". ;)
Get used to it...
Not even when you get married.... Girlfriend and I live together.. there's her money and our money. grrrr

LOL. I can relate to that!
My wife breeds and trains horses. She can pick out an imperceptible problem in one horse in the herd from a half a mile away. But if I haven't been in her pick-up truck in a few weeks and I ask "How long has it been making that loud grinding noise?", she'll answer "What noise?".

Her horses look immaculate. Her pick-up looks like it's been through a demolition derby.

To be a successful motorcyclist you have to pay attention 100% of the time, and must be processing a lot of information simultaneously, and then act properly on that information.

I call that being a successful driver, not just a motorcyclist. I am aware of what is happening on all 4 sides of me at all times. It irritates my wife when she is driving and I tell her to change lanes because that car is going to turn right long before it actually does.

I dated a girl for a short time that would read a book while driving because driving is so boring....

I dated a girl for a short time that would read a book while driving because driving is so boring....

I have seen people do that, especially on Interstates, as well as city streets. Unbelievable. Wish I had loud air horns to scare the hell outa them.

I call that being a successful driver, not just a motorcyclist.

Yes, but it's the degree. One thing motorcyclists are always scanning for is the surface condition of the road, especially in corners. Is there gravel on the road? Is it across the entire surface or are the car tire track areas relatively clear? Is there a fine dusting of dirt in the corner? How about that trickle of water running across the road from last night's rain?

Stuff like that just doesn't get the attention of most car drivers, and for good reason. Most of the time, nothing happens, and even if it does, it's small slip. All of that stuff above will lowside a bike pretty quickly, especially at a big lean angle.

One thing motorcyclists are always scanning for is the surface condition of the road, especially in corners

I do that as well. Lots of broken glass (whiskey bottles) on the road surface, plus being in the desert means sand in intersections. Plus fod from accidents.

Trying to teach my wife to look at the road surface. She just isn't picking up on that up. It is hard enough trying to get her to use the rear view mirror while going straight. Driving 20 over the speed limit here means you need to watch for traffic that is about to run up the rear bumper.

She is a good driver, good at driving me nuts...:lol::lol:

I call that being a successful driver, not just a motorcyclist. I am aware of what is happening on all 4 sides of me at all times. It irritates my wife when she is driving and I tell her to change lanes because that car is going to turn right long before it actually does.
Can't agree more. My wife too is like that. I call it clueless. She minds that I nicely point out when to change lanes etc. She calls it "back seat driving", even though I am sitting right there next to her in the right seat. :D I call it "efficient driving" because I save her brakes and gas. She disagrees. She views it as excessive lane changing and calls it "crazy driving". *shrugh*

Wish I had loud air horns to scare the hell outa them.
Careful.
Friendly advice: don't do it.
BTDT. Honking at dumbs*it drivers with air horns only scares the bejesus out of them. Guess what they do then? That's right, she slams on her brakes and cover her eyes. Not a smart thing to do. But then again ... she's reading a book and you interrupted her ghost story or something important that Opra told her to read ...

Trying to teach my wife to look at the road surface. She just isn't picking up on that ... She is a good driver ...
Same with mine but as someone mentioned, they cannot process more than one stream of information which is usually the white lines separating the lanes. "Pothole? What pothole?" *crunch* "That one" - "Yeah, I found it"
My wife is a good/decent vehicular operator too. She's just not as efficient and foreseeing as I'd prefer. But no matter how hard I try, that ain't gonna change. So I'm just getting used to it. :D

@Zeldman , @BigBadLou , our wives may as well be sisters Lol. My wife has the same driving habits you describe above.

I'm trying super super hard to train our daughter to a better standard. She calls it being nitpicky, I call it the same standard my father held me to many years ago.

I spend a LOT more time on the bike keeping an eye out for murderous cagers than I do just about anything else, including road condition. There is no reason to be taking racing turns on most roadways, especially because tragedy could result from unexpected encounters.

I have seen people do that, especially on Interstates, as well as city streets. Unbelievable. Wish I had loud air horns to scare the hell outa them.

While turning left across traffic today to get on the ramp to the interstate, I was behind a girl that was making the turn very slow and swung way out to the right before swinging back to the left. I noticed she was messing with her phone so I laid on the horn hard. She freaked out and he phone went flying out of her hand. She then accelerated real fast down the ramp and onto the interstate. About a mile down the road, she was in the center lane weaving a bit and I was passing her in the left lane. As I got up next to her, I saw she was on texting so I jumped on the horn again. Same result, the phone went bouncing out of her hand as she frantically tried to grab the wheel with the phone still in her hand. The look on her face was priceless.

While turning left across traffic today to get on the ramp to the interstate, I was behind a girl that was making the turn very slow and swung way out to the right before swinging back to the left. I noticed she was messing with her phone so I laid on the horn hard. She freaked out and he phone went flying out of her hand. She then accelerated real fast down the ramp and onto the interstate. About a mile down the road, she was in the center lane weaving a bit and I was passing her in the left lane. As I got up next to her, I saw she was on texting so I jumped on the horn again. Same result, the phone went bouncing out of her hand as she frantically tried to grab the wheel with the phone still in her hand. The look on her face was priceless.

Hahaha you should put a train horn on your vehicle. A Nathan Airchime to be exact

There are lots of things I take on in life, 'training' my wife to do anything is not a project I am willing to risk.

Back