Why a test club

woxof

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
woxof
Lycoming recommends using a test club instead of a propeller for a ground operational test following an engine change. They say the club provides optimal cooling. How does that work? Does its design just blow more air aft near the hub?

Thanks

A test club is designed to provide cooling air while loading the engine similarly to a propeller in flight. A flight propeller at zero airspeed would overload the engine.

Lycoming recommends using a test club instead of a propeller for a ground operational test following an engine change.
Which ops check run are you referring to? Except for field overhauled engines, engines that have been O/H'd or rebuilt in a shop have had the initial ops check runs done with a test club before it ships out to the customer. On field O'Hs or other types of ops checks the OEM normally has a different procedure that uses the aircraft's standard prop.

But as to what the test club does, it improves cooling as stated above and usually is used in conjunction with a cooling shroud. But it's also calibrated to prevent engine overspeed at higher RPMs.

Without proper testing the engine can not be called overhauled in according the overhaul manual.

Which ops check run are you referring to? Except for field overhauled engines, engines that have been O/H'd or rebuilt in a shop have had the initial ops check runs done with a test club before it ships out to the customer. On field O'Hs or other types of ops checks the OEM normally has a different procedure that uses the aircraft's standard prop.

But as to what the test club does, it improves cooling as stated above and usually is used in conjunction with a cooling shroud. But it's also calibrated to prevent engine overspeed at higher RPMs.

Both manufacturers require testing IAW the overhaul manual, which requires a test club.

Lycoming is typical
http://www.monticellofc.org/aircraft/Lycoming-OH-Manual 2002 ed.pdf

9-3 note 1-3
9-1

OVERHAUL MANUAL-AVCO LYCOMING DIRECT DRIVE AIRCRAFT ENGIHE5

SECTION 9. TEST PROCEDURE

Section 3 Test Procedure

9-1. At the completion of assemblyof the engineafter
overhaul, itis recommendedthatthe ́•enginebemounted
uponateststandforitsinitialorrun-inoperation.
Therun-inservesatwo-foldpurpose;first,toseat
pistonringsandburnishanynewpartsthatmayhave
beeninstalledandsecond,togivetheoperatorcontrol
overthefirstcriticalhoursofoperation,duringwhich
timehecallobservethefunctioningoftheengineby
means ofthetestcellinstruments. Also,atthistime
allymalfunctioncanbecorrectedandoillea~srepaired, intheairframefortherun-inprovidit~g

9-2. The test stand should be installed in a test cell that is clean and free of any articles that could be moved bythe test club air blast.

9-3.Thefollowinginstrumentsshouldbeused,plus

anyadditionalinstrumentsthatmaybedeemedneces-

sary by the operator. 0" to 600"F. temperature gage,

countertachometer,fuelflowmeter,fuelpressure

gage, manifold pressure gage, oil temperature gage, oil pressure gage and an oil flow measuring device.

thefollowingrequirementsare observed.

i. The proper test club, not a flight propeller, is used.

2.Acoolingshroudequivalenttoatestcellcooling shroudisinstalled.

3.Theairframegagesmaynotbeused.Allnec- essary calibrated gages shallbe installed indep- endentoftheairframe.

Lycoming recommends using a test club instead of a propeller for a ground operational test following an engine change. They say the club provides optimal cooling. How does that work? Does its design just blow more air aft near the hub?

Thanks
Air flow is only a part of it, the manifold pressure is also very important.

Both manufacturers require testing IAW the overhaul manual, which requires a test club.
FYI: Both manufacturers also provide approved alternate methods when an engine test cell/club is not available after overhaul via a OEM service bulletin. The alternate method allows use of the aircraft and standard prop for post-OH operational test purposes. One requirement of these alternate methods is certain aircraft/engine indicating systems must be calibrated.

FYI: Both manufacturers also provide approved alternate methods when an engine test cell/club is not available after overhaul via a OEM service bulletin. The alternate method allows use of the aircraft and standard prop for post-OH operational test purposes. One requirement of these alternate methods is certain aircraft/engine indicating systems must be calibrated.
Show the alternate method ? that does not require a test club

Show the alternate method ? that does not require a test club
Considering all the engines you've O/H'd I figured you knew or simply forgot. Which OEM procedure did you use then with a test club in the field?

Lycoming Service Instruction 1427C:
"If a test cell or a test stand is not available, do an engine test after the engine has been installed in the aircraft with the intercylinder baffles installed. If the engine is operated in the aircraft, use a test club or aircraft propeller for correct air flow cooling. The enginetocowling baffles must be new or in good condition for correct cooling air flow differential across the engine. The cylinder head temperature gage, oil temperature gage, oil pressure gage, manifold pressure gage and tachometer must be calibrated for accuracy."
https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defa...ating engine Break-In and Oil Consumption.pdf

Continental was Service Bulletin M89-7R1 but just found out was incorporated into the Continental M-0 Standard Practices (Paragraph 7-2.3):
"2. Operation After Major Overhaul Utilizing The Aircraft in Lieu of an Engine Test Cell.
a. The aircraft can be considered a suitable test stand for running-in overhauled engines contingent on the following conditions.
1) Install Engine Cowling
2) Each cylinder should be equipped with a temperature sensing device to monitor the head temperature. If the aircraft cylinder head temperature gauge monitors one cylinder, the following precaution must be adhered to:During ground runs do not permit monitored head temperatures to exceed 400°F or oil temperature to exceed 200°F.
3) The flight propeller may be used contingent on careful observation of cylinder temperatures. Head the aircraft into the wind for this test.
4) Calibration of the aircraft engine instruments must be performed."

http://pceonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/M-0standardpractice2017-01-15.pdf

OK,, noted,, I had a test cell.

next issue.

how do you sign off overhaul when the manual was not followed.

it no longer includes the directions to include test cell operations
I believe the test cell ops are still located in the O/H manual as referenced in the M-0 below under para. 1(b)(1). The only thing I'm aware of now is that Service bulletin M89-7R1 was incorporated in the M-0. I put a snapshot from a 520 O/H manual farther below which still has the test procedure.
upload_2020-3-6_17-43-49.png

Here's is a snapshot from a 520 O/H manual:

upload_2020-3-6_17-43-2.png

I believe the test cell ops are still located in the O/H manual as referenced in the M-0 below under para. 1(b)(1). The only thing I'm aware of now is that Service bulletin M89-7R1 was incorporated in the M-0. I put a snapshot from a 520 O/H manual farther below which still has the test procedure.

These instructions have been moved to the engine manual.
and the M89-7R1 is no longer used.
In order to describe any engine as overhauled IAW the overhaul manual you must comply with it.

It is a FAA thing. about proper description of maintenance

These instructions have been moved to the engine manual.
You lost me. Which manual other than the OH manual I referenced above for the test cell instructions?
the M89-7R1 is no longer used.
Correct. It was incorporated into the M-0 as referenced above. And......?

You lost me. Which manual other than the OH manual I referenced above for the test cell instructions?
change that to read, M-0, all specific operation instructions are in each manual.

Back