Who's taking the ATP written in July??

I just finished using sheppard air and passed with a 91. I probably spent about 20-30 hours or so studying over the last week. The method feels stupid, literally memorizing answers to 1,200 questions. It's not fancy but it's reasonably fast and does what you need and nothing more. As a mega procrastinator I was still working on questions as of midnight last night and never actually got around to taking a practice test.

All because a guy that had no business flying an airliner ended up in the left seat of a Q400.
The only reason you found out he had no business being in an airliner was because he crashed. Does that mean everyone else has business being there? No. I know a lot of just terrible pilots but just haven't been through a situation where they needed to prove it. The ATP written will not change anything. It's a false remedy to another underlying issue.

Back on track, I guess I will take the ATP. Since I graduated from one of those accredited aviation schools, I only need 1200TT, right? That gives me 900 hours in two years...

The only reason you found out he had no business being in an airliner was because he crashed. Does that mean everyone else has business being there? No. I know a lot of just terrible pilots but just haven't been through a situation where they needed to prove it. The ATP written will not change anything. It's a false remedy to another underlying issue.

Back on track, I guess I will take the ATP. Since I graduated from one of those accredited aviation schools, I only need 1200TT, right? That gives me 900 hours in two years...

That for a "restricted ATP". Not ICAO recognized, it's somewhere between a place holder and a marketing gimmick. But hey, still beats a CPL.

No doubt the ATP changes nothing, but the fact that he failed so many checkrides, should be an indication that there was a fundamental problem with him.

I actually signed up not 20 minutes ago and it's downloading now. I also just got the test scheduled for the 18th. No plans on 121 for now, but my current 135 does have a Navajo that needs ATP, as well as when we expand to multi-turbos.

While I'm sure I'll still take the test within 24 months, what's this I heard about it lasting indefinitely if you are currently with at 135/121?

When we expand to multi-turbo's. Management will sell anything to keep people around. Believe it when the plane is on property.:D

That for a "restricted ATP". Not ICAO recognized, it's somewhere between a place holder and a marketing gimmick. But hey, still beats a CPL.
Well, I guess it's 1500 then.

No doubt the ATP changes nothing, but the fact that he failed so many checkrides, should be an indication that there was a fundamental problem with him.

Absolutely.

Contemplating taking the ATP Written prior to July 31. Currently hold a PPL-ASEL and have just begun my instrument training.

Have not looked at any of the material for the ATP Written. Will not having an Instrument or Commerial rating be a detriment in preparation for ATP Written?

Contemplating taking the ATP Written prior to July 31. Currently hold a PPL-ASEL and have just begun my instrument training.

Have not looked at any of the material for the ATP Written. Will not having an Instrument or Commerial rating be a detriment in preparation for ATP Written?

Certainly not having an instrument rating will make it harder, but if you've done the instrument written already some of it will make sense.

For anybody on the fence on this: Just go cram for the test, take it before the deadline, and brain dump it. When you get hired the operator will teach you how to do performance using their approved data and methods.. and it will likely not resemble the ATP written whatsoever (and be much easier, less error prone, and more time effective).

Last edited:
So I just called to schedule the test and the lady kinda laughed when I said ATP. It sounds like just about the whole world is taking it this month.

So I was recently told by someone (who is kinda known for talking out of his ass simply to sound smarter) that the FAA is adding about 30 control questions and not labeling them, as a way to punish us for taking ATP now to avoid the increased requirements. Any intel regarding this from someone who's taken it recently?

So I was recently told by someone (who is kinda known for talking out of his ass simply to sound smarter) that the FAA is adding about 30 control questions and not labeling them, as a way to punish us for taking ATP now to avoid the increased requirements. Any intel regarding this from someone who's taken it recently?

My test on 7/1 had 10 extra questions which were not graded. According to the test proctor, that what folks have been getting. It was all using the newer material, and of them they asked the same question about what affects Vref five different ways (no, wind does not effect Vref).

30 sounds a bit excessive, and likely an embellishment.

And yes, if you are planning to take it by the end of the month, schedule your test now. Seating in most test sites are limited.

So it sounds like they were all labeled as such so you knew which were control and which are not.

We are getting down to the wire. Been studying a bit and I'm anxious to just get in there and take the test. I am scheduled for Thursday morning and it can't come soon enough.

90 questions, 10 of which (these are not identified) do not count.

I passed with a 78% and I felt very UNprepared. I had to stuff it into my schedule the next 2 weeks.

I took the test this morning. I got an 78% :mad2: I had at least 6 W&B that I wasn't expecting. The test had 90 questions with only 80 graded like the others.

At least it's a pass. :yes:

I took the test this morning. I got an 78% :mad2: I had at least 6 W&B that I wasn't expecting. The test had 90 questions with only 80 graded like the others.

At least it's a pass. :yes:

The W&B questions are the worst (and hardest to memorize :wink2:)

I took and passed it yesterday.

The "new, sample" questions were (I think) pretty obvious - they handed me a completely new additional test supplement dated April 2014 and I believe the sample questions were from that source - mostly all were performance chart reading, and not very complicated charts at that. Many seemed to be very similar regarding determining Vref and how and when it changed. Not hard to figure out, just make sure to read the chart.

There were a few questions I got wrong that I completely disagree with, even after coming back home and looking them up, but I suppose that's the way it is. Apparently the testmaker's definition of "best" in "choose the best answer" is different than mine.

One question in particular there was no right answer - I knew the right answer, and checked when I got home, and it wasn't one of the options. Kinda frustrating, but I passed anyway.

The W&B questions are the worst (and hardest to memorize :wink2:)

On the contrary, I almost prefer that type of question - at least it's something I can work out - add the weights, add the moments, divide, subtract the LEMAC, divide by the MAC, badda bing, there's your CG.

The regulation questions, on the other hand, if you don't know, there's often no real way to figure it out, so you end up guessing. I don't like guessing. (And I had to completely guess once or twice.)

I got one flight planning question, and yes I went through and figured the whole thing out (got it right, too). I also got one mini-flight planning question (the type where "what Mach number do you need to maintain between A and B to get there in XX minutes").

The "E-6B" calculator in the testing software was very useful.

Everybody always mentions Sheppard Air like it's the only or best option out there. I have used Dauntless for the ATP and Dispatcher test and liked them much better than Sheppard. I used the Sheppard demo and the interface on Dauntless is much cleaner, modern and easier to use IMO. Oh, and I scored in the 90's on both those tests.

Everybody always mentions Sheppard Air like it's the only or best option out there. I have used Dauntless for the ATP and Dispatcher test and liked them much better than Sheppard. I used the Sheppard demo and the interface on Dauntless is much cleaner, modern and easier to use IMO. Oh, and I scored in the 90's on both those tests.

Does Dauntless have a gouge sheet? Thats the only reason I know why people go with Sheppard. Now their technique is supposed to be another, but I've been using that technique on my own for a few years and just never realized it.

I would agree that Sheppard interface could use some work, but it worked enough to score in the high 90's.

Since I've had a lot of truck time lately I've been using Dauntless' audio study guide. I think it's been useful. I'm dedicating Thur/Fri this week to 12 hours of study each (Sheppard), then plan to take test on Sat.

Crossing my fingers.

I took the test today. Now I have two years to get to 1500 hours. Ugh.

Sad thing is that those who already have the commercial ticket are screwed out of being able to pick up an aviation degree to be eligible to apply for a restricted ATP with less hours. One of the regulations requires that the commercial rating be obtained in a part 141 program at the, "Institution of higher education." Even doing a multi add-on wouldn't qualify. I figured I'd have to do the multi add-on plus CFI ratings anyways so why not do them as part of a community college degree program? Except that in my case it wouldn't qualify me. If I had just a private ticket (or no ticket) I'd be fine.

It's sort of like people who already have the ATP rating in something else being screwed out of the extra two years the rest of us get.

Although I suppose I could think outside the box and surrender my commercial ticket. Then earn it back as part of the degree program :)

Which is a way of working the system that is just ridiculous.

Taking the written Monday. Dauntless for mobile devices and King on the desktop. First and last time I use King. Although having someone explain this stuff is useful to me, I have found a few things that are obsolete and regs that have long since changed.
One of the regulations requires that the commercial rating be obtained in a part 141 program at the, "Institution of higher education."

I go to an "institution of higher education" and although I did Private and Instrument under 141, I switched to 61 for Commercial since the hour requirement was about the same and I wanted the flexibility. Guess that was a dumb idea...:mad2:

Done. 91% Whew. What a relief.

Now to start prep for the checkride.

I go to an "institution of higher education" and although I did Private and Instrument under 141, I switched to 61 for Commercial since the hour requirement was about the same and I wanted the flexibility.

Incidentally I saw this on the Embry-Riddle website:

If I already have all my ratings, but not all from ERAU and not all under Part 141, and have a B.S. in Aeronautics, can I reapply for admission to ERAU and complete a BS in Aero Science? Would that allow me to apply for a ATP-R certificate?

Yes, but you would have to complete the Instrument and Commercial courses at ERAU (all activities) along with the approved course work. It may be more beneficial for you to build your time and take the ATP.

That seems to imply that a person who already has a particular rating can simply re-take all of the ground and flight training for that rating. You'd have to decide if it's worth it or not.

What's interesting is that earning the CFI and CFII ratings from a school that's approved for ATP-R certification doesn't count. I don't know if that was intentional or an oversight. The FAA, when they published the final rule, did mention that they decided against allowing CFIs to be automatically eligible for the ATP-R, but I didn't see any discussion about CFIs who come from approved schools. I think I'll try to ask the right person at the FAA about this.

Just got this email from a fellow pilot, and I'm having a bit of a tough time figuring out what he's trying to say. To me, he's saying that I couldn't go do my ATP SE in a couple months, then simply do an ME checkride after that, without needing to do an ATP CTP...?

Hi Fellow Pilots

I was reading my emails from AOPA and found this article to be enlightening about the new rules that will happen after July 31st

The main thing that I took from it is that the pilots that do not have and ATP SE at this time would be best to take the ATP ME ride first then get the SE if you wanted

And for the pilots the did have their ATP SE they have "two years after they took their knowledge test to upgrade to multiengine airplane, not two years after they passed their practical test or two years after Aug. 1. ..... two-year period after they took the knowledge test is over, if they want to add multiengine airplane to their ATP certificate, they will have to take the ATP certification training program and take a new knowledge test for ATP multiengine airplane"

Here is the link for the full article http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/...le-clarification-offered-before-Aug-1-changes

Instead of trying to figure out how to get to your ATP with fewer hours, why not go fly? Get your CFI/CFI-I/MEI or some combination thereof and go fly. You can add 500/hrs per year even part-time...more full time. The point of the hours requirements is experience. Go get experience.

Along with the instructing, get into a cheap airplane with a buddy or two and fly it at 55% power around the U.S. You'll have a ball, see America like never before and have memories for a lifetime. Plus you'll be better prepared to fly for a living.

Just finished. Whew, what a load off my mind. Now to be stressed out with replacing my stolen iPad... Anyway, I was not impressed with Shepard. The user interface is lacking even the most basic of functions (such as scrolling with the mouse wheel or opening multiple figures) which would greatly ease it's use. Regardless, it's done and I can move on...

You shouldn't buy Sheppard because of its interface. It gets the job done, and that's what I'm really paying for.

I'm taking it in two days. That gives me a small buffer to take it again. The testing slots are wide open here.

That's surprising they're so open; Where abouts are you?
Here in St Louis, he's completely booked and even extending their hours to near 24 now. He's got all 4 of the 2-hour slots filled every day from 6am-midnight. Some folks are coming and and just hanging around so if somebody doesn't show or gets done really quick, they can slip in there.

In Ft. Lauderdale the slots were completely booked until after July 31st. I took the test last week and passed, so I am happy to have that behind me. Now, on to the check ride! :wink2:

Abram Finlelstein
N48KY

I'd tell you, but I don't want people to fill them.

I'm confirming my test date tomorrow to make sure my boss doesn't plan a trip that would interfere with it.

They've been pretty booked here, as well. Every available time slot was taken Saturday. I luckily snagged the last one. Two hour time slots? Three hours are allocated for the test. I went fairly quickly (thanks to Sheppard) and was still close to 2 hours.

Last edited:
Back