Who's in Chicago?

qbynewbie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Qbynewbie
I flew from NY to Rapid City, South Dakota last week, expecting to continue on to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, high winds and clouds over the mountains made crossing the Rockies at that point questionable. We explored the Black Hills and had fun for a few days and then I sent my passenger back to his wife in Los Angeles on United while I started making my way back to NY.

It has been a great trip and a great adventure. By the time I get home, I'll have accumulated close to 40 hours of flying. Right now, I'm currently in Chicago.

Last night, I was wandering around and came across the restaurant Beatrix. It looked good, so I decided to have dinner and was glad I did because it turned out to be excellent. I also discovered that my waiter wants to be a pilot.

He looks 22, clean-cut, smart, just out of college, so money is an issue. He grew up 50 miles north of Chicago, evidently right near a small airport. He said he's obsessed with aviation but he's never even had a single flight in a small plane. I think this is a good kid. If I were sticking around, I'd take him for a flight myself but I'm not.

Is there anyone in Chicago who might help this kid get started on his dream by taking him up for an Eagle flight?

I don't know. He works at Beatrix, in the loop, but I would imagine could get to any airport that's reasonably accessible.

When I told him that I'd post this, he asked me "Would these people be safe and trustworthy?" I thought that was a good question. I told him that most pilots are cool, safe and good people.

The question is ,is the waiter trustworthy and safe as a pax? I'm not in the area ,or I would do it.

I don't know. He works at Beatrix, in the loop, but I would imagine could get to any airport that's reasonably accessible.

When I told him that I'd post this, he asked me "Would these people be safe and trustworthy?" I thought that was a good question. I told him that most pilots are cool, safe and good people.

Yeah, but this is POA. We skew the curve in the other direction. :D

It would be nice to know what area of town he lives in and how far he is willing to travel. Chicagoland is spread out.

The whole thing sounds a bit creepy to me. Younger guy getting into a strangers airplane?? Where do we see him next? Chris Hanson or Nancy Grace??

The question is ,is the waiter trustworthy and safe as a pax? I'm not in the area ,or I would do it.

I would, too. In fact, if I can't find him a flight, I'll fly back from NY and give him a ride myself.

I fly out of PWK

Cool! I'll let him know.

Yeah, but this is POA. We skew the curve in the other direction. :D

:D:D:D

It would be nice to know what area of town he lives in and how far he is willing to travel. Chicagoland is spread out.

Good question! I'll email him and ask and post what I find out.

The whole thing sounds a bit creepy to me. Younger guy getting into a strangers airplane?? Where do we see him next? Chris Hanson or Nancy Grace??

I can understand that but I've offered flights to people who I only knew as friends of friends. If someone came up to me at the local airport and seemed sane and wanted a flight, I'd probably take him up. I've only been flying for eight years now but, as I understand it, it's been a time-honored tradition in aviation to offer flights to folks who really want to experience flight for the first time. :)

I fly out of UGN which is a small class D about 50 miles north of Chicago. Might be the one he's talking about. I'm always looking for a reason to fly.

I fly out of UGN which is a small class D about 50 miles north of Chicago. Might be the one he's talking about. I'm always looking for a reason to fly.

Wouldn't that be fun? :)

I sent him an email. When he gets back to me, I'll update the thread.

Thanks!

I heard back from Michael late last night.

It turns out that yesterday was his last day at the restaurant. He's recently out of college and, in his words, he's "on to be an engineer of gamma cameras used in nuclear medicine". I had a suspicion that he's a smart guy!

He has a car and is willing to travel to an airport. I asked him about Waukegan and also Lake Geneva, since I received a PM from someone at that airport. His response: "Waukegan is close (ish) to my hometown, so that's no problem and Lake Geneva is extremely close to my hometown so that's even more convenient. "

I think the thing to do is to have him register here at POA. I've already advised him to join AOPA as a student pilot so he can start getting Flight Training magazine. If he joins here, that will allow you folks who might be able to offer him a flight to communicate with him directly, rather than through me, which I think makes a great deal more sense.

Thanks, guys, for being willing to help a young guy. In his email he said "You're making a dream come true." For many pilots, that's exactly how it started. :)

I'm pretty far south for him (KLOT and 1C5 in the SW burbs) but am willing.

Thanks, Grant. :)

I've suggested he register here. He's starting a brand-new job today (Monday), so I imagine he's got his hands full but expect he'll be along presently.

Just think back to your 'blind dates', some may of turned out O.K., others not so much.

Well, he was working in River North, about 10 blocks from my office. It reads like he is on the border of IL/WI which means Westosha is the way to go. I fly out of there and can take him up, but best bet is to call the club house - they do introductory flights Saturday mornings and then he can get a proper CFI and club overview and all that. I have flown with all but the newest CFIs and all are good ambassadors for the club and flying.

Hey guys and girls!

It's me, Mike, from Beatrix in Chicago. You'll have to forgive my delay to getting onto the forum here, but I just started a new job and I have been adjusting to the commute and working here.

Anyways, I am very interested in flying. It's a dream of mine to own a two-prop plane that I can fly to visit friends/family that are too distant to drive. I ran into Brian at my (former) work and he steered me in the direction of all of you, so now I am going to ask for your help/generosity. I need to get up and get a few introductory flights in. I'll be clueless and scared, but eager to learn and quick to do so. Please let me know if any of you could help me out.

As far as scheduling, I finally have regular hours, and I have weekends/holidays off for the first time in my life. Hopefully a few of those weekends/holidays could be spent 15,000 feet up. This upcoming weekend (October 10-11) is wide open for me, so if that fits anyone else's schedule please let me know.

Feel free to contact me at mperkins90@hotmail.com if you would be willing to help me out. Brian informed me that paying you too much is illegal, but I would always be willing to split gas with you, or buy you lunch, or whatever it is you think would be a reasonable price to pay.

Thank you to all of you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Michael Perkins

Sorry, Mike, Mare Daley saved you from having a usable airport in Chicago.

Hey, Mike! Glad you made it. Lots of good folks here, including a few near Chicago/Lake Geneva who thought that they might be able to give you a ride.

Welcome to aviation, Mike! It's a great world, populated by some of the nicest people on Earth. :)

Brian

Hey guys and girls!

It's me, Mike, from Beatrix in Chicago.

Welcome to POA.

I grew up in Chicago's western suburbs and soloed in Lombard at an airport that isn't there any more. You will find that aviation is a small, fairly tight group that is largely populated by some pretty great folks. Good luck.

I'm KLOT/1C5, as well. Would be happy to travel up somewhere closer if he'd like.

I'm KLOT/1C5, as well. Would be happy to travel up somewhere closer if he'd like.

Andrew, I'd say we should drag him down to Gaston's this weekend, except they don't have any availability Saturday night! I don't want to subject a newbie to the uncertainty we live with!

Hey all!

So my apartment is in Chicago, I work in Hoffman Estates, and my family lives up near Wisconsin in Richmond, IL, so I can be anywhere in the area at most given times. During the weekends I tend to either be in the city or at home in Richmond. Either way, I have a car and would be willing to travel.

Mike

I fly Sunday mornings with a group who meet up for breakfast out of Waukegan. PM for details if you want to ride along. 1st opportunity won't be until 11/1 though.

Back