Who's good with wood? (another craigslist find)

Nice project, If it only needs fabric. even if it needs a little wood repair too.

Haul it 100 miles west to Alexandria. They'll fix it up like new, like no one else can. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Haul it 100 miles west to Alexandria. They'll fix it up like new, like no one else can.
Well yeah, that's the factory. You beat me to it.

I really hope he decides to buy it to restore. It would be good to get another viking back in the air.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I'd love a Bellanca Viking (or a Citabria but Viking first :)) but I hate the panel layout of those 1960's BSV's. This one isnt that bad but the radio stack under the yoke is annoying and from past conversations they cant be moved.

Besides, given the conditions shown, I feel like the repairs and avionics upgrades would put it in range of 2 rather nice looking BSV's from the late 70's (faster speeds) currently listed on Trade-a-plane.

He says he's been running it and taxiing it around every couple of months. All my experience tells me that I'd likely find corrosion issues in that engine.

He says he's been running it and taxiing it around every couple of months. All my experience tells me that I'd likely find corrosion issues in that engine.
With an engine as described here, I don't think I'd even look.
I'd do an oil/filter change, do a complete flush, and watch the oil for metal for the next 50 hours.

:fingerwag:
When I saw the thread title, I knew such a response was inevitable.
You haven't seen anything yet. Imagine what the viking forum is like. We're just a bunch of old boys.

I'd love a Bellanca Viking (or a Citabria but Viking first :)) but I hate the panel layout of those 1960's BSV's. This one isnt that bad but the radio stack under the yoke is annoying and from past conversations they cant be moved.

Besides, given the conditions shown, I feel like the repairs and avionics upgrades would put it in range of 2 rather nice looking BSV's from the late 70's (faster speeds) currently listed on Trade-a-plane.
I'll send you a pic of my panel next time i'm flying. It's a 1974 but the layout is essentially what it was originally.

Considering you could buy an airworthy one for 30k this one certainly isn’t worth more than 5-6k tops.

Considering you could buy an airworthy one for 30k this one certainly isn’t worth more than 5-6k tops.

I dunno... You technically don't have to be an A&P to replace and dope fabric. You just have to know one who's willing to supervise the job. It's also not that difficult to do (other than being tedious), not does it require any expensive tools. If one had the time, the space, and a friendly A&P to guide them, and if nothing else major were wrong with the airplane, I think maybe $10K would be reasonable.

Rich

I dunno... You technically don't have to be an A&P to replace and dope fabric. You just have to know one who's willing to supervise the job. It's also not that difficult to do (other than being tedious), not does it require any expensive tools. If one had the time, the space, and a friendly A&P to guide them, and if nothing else major were wrong with the airplane, I think maybe $10K would be reasonable.

Rich
From What I read this A/C only needs a repair of the wing walk area.
Would require a good inspection by some one who knows about this.

From What I read this A/C only needs a repair of the wing walk area.
Would require a good inspection by some one who knows about this.

What's in the ad is minimal info. There are a series of ADs on those airplanes, including an annual check for rot at the wing roots and spar attachments, a tap test all along the spar itself to look for delamination, landing gear bracketry at the spars (they crack), engine mount cracking, horizontal stabilizer spar attach point in the fuselage cracking, and so on. Removing the fabric typically exposes more defects that need addressing, too. I did a bunch of work on a Viking not so long ago, and found a whole lot of stuff that had been left by other mechanics, including loose flap and aileron hinge and bellcrank attachments in the wooden control surface spars, and the wing root fairings had been glued on so that the AD inspection of the spars had been impossible. Flap up-stop blocks were missing.

The left wing had its inboard rib bay packed full of mouse nests. Took me hours to get it all out, since access was poor. Filled a garbage can with the stuff. Long-dead mice mixed up in it.

Old airplanaes are fun. Expensive fun. No such thing as a cheap old airplane.

What's in the ad is minimal info. There are a series of ADs on those airplanes, including an annual check for rot at the wing roots and spar attachments, a tap test all along the spar itself to look for delamination, landing gear bracketry at the spars (they crack), engine mount cracking, horizontal stabilizer spar attach point in the fuselage cracking, and so on. Removing the fabric typically exposes more defects that need addressing, too. I did a bunch of work on a Viking not so long ago, and found a whole lot of stuff that had been left by other mechanics, including loose flap and aileron hinge and bellcrank attachments in the wooden control surface spars, and the wing root fairings had been glued on so that the AD inspection of the spars had been impossible. Flap up-stop blocks were missing.

The left wing had its inboard rib bay packed full of mouse nests. Took me hours to get it all out, since access was poor. Filled a garbage can with the stuff. Long-dead mice mixed up in it.

Old airplanaes are fun. Expensive fun. No such thing as a cheap old airplane.
And yet you can surmise all the stuff you found in another aircraft -- Amazing

And yet you can surmise all the stuff you found in another aircraft -- Amazing
Tom. Fer Pete's sake. Have you never found that any particular model of airplane has its weaknesses? You never look in those places out of experience with previous examples of that model? The ADs I mentioned, as with all ADs, identify weak areas that are supposed to be checked annually, or repaired soon after issuance of the AD. For many airplanes, the annual option is taken because it's cheaper, and in many of those cases the inspection is pretty casual or it's pencil-whipped, leaving a potential problem for a later mechanic to find and a hit to the wallet for a new owner, maybe.

Anything I post is guaranteed to bring something contrary from you.

So does Dan and he does so more thoroughly and accurately. And makes far more sense.
Not everyone is as effective communicating via text as they are verbally in person. Tom has a tremendous (decades worth) amount of A&P experience that shouldn’t be overlooked. He’s a huge asset to this board.

Just because the Viking has a lot of ADs, and wooden wings, does this one have those problems?
Are all aircraft with a long list of AD bad? If so you Bonanza owners should be running scared.
If a A&P has a bad experience with one aircraft of type, should he bad mouth them all?

This Viking does need a very experienced A&P-IA to inspect it very carefully.

Other than that, it is just another old aircraft that needs help.

So does Dan and he does so more thoroughly and accurately. And makes far more sense.
Or does he just borrow trouble on an aircraft that he has never seen.

Tom. Fer Pete's sake. Have you never found that any particular model of airplane has its weaknesses? You never look in those places out of experience with previous examples of that model? The ADs I mentioned, as with all ADs, identify weak areas that are supposed to be checked annually, or repaired soon after issuance of the AD. For many airplanes, the annual option is taken because it's cheaper, and in many of those cases the inspection is pretty casual or it's pencil-whipped, leaving a potential problem for a later mechanic to find and a hit to the wallet for a new owner, maybe.

Anything I post is guaranteed to bring something contrary from you.

All aircraft have their weaknesses, That doesn't mean all aircraft of that make and model will have the same discrepancies.
Any wood savvy aircraft mechanic would know how to inspect a wood wing. I've been building wooden wings since the 50s and I inspected 3 Vikings last year alone, seldom do I see the problems you stated.

And where do you get off implying A&P-IAs will pencil whip ?

and Yes I do find a lot of your posts way beyond reality. You seem to believe the worst of any aircraft problem brought up here.

Not everyone is as effective communicating via text as they are verbally in person. Tom has a tremendous (decades worth) amount of A&P experience that shouldn’t be overlooked. He’s a huge asset to this board.

He'd be a yuuuger asset if he could ever get over his predictable personal attacks on others who post valid observations about our old airplanes. Tremendous experience or not, it's become tiresome.

He'd be a yuuuger asset if he could ever get over his predictable personal attacks on others who post valid observations about our old airplanes. Tremendous experience or not, it's become tiresome.
I haven’t seen that and if that was so true, he would’ve been permanently banned a long time ago. Personal attacks are against the RoC.

I haven’t seen that and if that was so true, he would’ve been permanently banned a long time ago. Personal attacks are against the RoC.

Direct personal attacks aren't allowed but passive aggressive ones seem to be or at least are tolerated. There's at least one user on here (not Tom) that I've had several run-ins with now that has had a passive aggressive and down putting tone in most of their posts responding to me or others.

I've seen some of Tom's posts and have to say for a guy who usually makes similar statements and projections about wake up periods and unexpected maintenance for old planes that haven't been flown in a while, I'm a bit surprised that he seems to think this plane doesn't require that much work.

I was particularly surprised by his comment in #22, particularly highlighting the "minimal info in the ad" and knocking the other person for surmising a bunch of information based on what they've experienced in other planes when he seems to do the same thing here in a more positive tone (surmising info not listed in the Ad about what the plane needs based on his experience with other vikings) and has done it elsewhere with more negative predictions for other planes.

I'm not knocking Tom's experience here or the comments he's made. He's certainly more experienced than me and has more knowledge than I do but he lacks consistency in his view point which gives him the appearance as someone who will say whatever he needs to in order to be the opposition.

Or does he just borrow trouble on an aircraft that he has never seen.
Oh for f##k sake the ONLY thing he said was that older airplanes which haven't flown in years could have hidden issues that could get expensive to correct. What is so blasphemous about that?

Since the oil was not reaching proper temperature, he was doing more harm than good.

I don't need to know, I'm not making statements about facts I don't know.
Nor has anyone else. You seem to want to read 'I have experiences with similar situations and have seen these kinds of issues in those situations...' as meaning that person is therefore saying 'I saw this thing happen once therefore 100% of all similar situations including this one will have this issue....'

That is not what the words say nor does anyone beside you think that is what they mean. Relax.

Back