Who's flying tomorrow?

Still waffling. Cold turned to bronchitis mid-week, and I'm just about over it. Maybe an evening flight around the patch.

Right now I'm about to listen to my wife compete in a singing contest while sucking on a cappuccino.

Flew to the same airport (Sheboygan, WI), same plane, and landed at the same time as 10 years ago on 11 SEP. At the time, the plane was new, less than a year old. I was the last one out of the airport, and the guy at the FBO was saying he thought the airport was closed.

On the way back to my home base, ATC was broadcasting in the clear that all planes were instructed to land. I gave my name, unit affiliation, and rank over the air in the clear, and was the last plane to land at our home base. The tower said they knew me and the plane when communicating via the landline to the ARTCC, and cleared me to land.

It was an interesting trip to go the exact same route again and think about all of the things that have changed and transpired in the intervening ten years.

I went.

1.0 in the pattern, playing with steep approaches, normal landings, spot landings, and short-field landings.

Felt gooooood. :D

79M says Hi to all the PoAers. She looks like she's grinning that I took her out to play and then wiped off all the hangar dust.

aefdb072-4233-7e40.jpg

(Holy crap Henning and others were right - slow way down and it comes out of the sky at over 1500 FPM down. I chickened out at the bottom ... Twice ... And shoved the power up. Talk about destabilizing! Ha. The landings weren't pretty out of those. I'm uh... going to need to work on that elevator ride's flare at the bottom some more.)

Happy American, free to buzz around the pattern.

Yup. That's me today.

Booked the plane for 3 night landings (late tonight).

However, it is not tonight yet and the marine layer MIGHT destroy my plans.

I have a ton of flying "missions" in the next 3 months - so I figure I should be current in day and night. Day will not be a problem - logged 2 landings at 2 airports yesterday on my very first flight with my very first passenger - but nights may be a problem.

So I am going to get them out of the way. Tonight. If I can. Will be my first night flight, solo.

Kimberly

Got 1.7 in using the 182RG- a 75nm cross country round trip with a few touch and goes (simulated soft field) thrown in just for fun. :)

I'm treating it like any other day. I feel if I don't the terrorists have won. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families, and those that sacrificied to come to their rescue, but I will not validate terrorism by changing my behavior.

Booked the plane for 3 night landings (late tonight).

However, it is not tonight yet and the marine layer MIGHT destroy my plans.

I have a ton of flying "missions" in the next 3 months - so I figure I should be current in day and night. Day will not be a problem - logged 2 landings at 2 airports yesterday on my very first flight with my very first passenger - but nights may be a problem.

So I am going to get them out of the way. Tonight. If I can. Will be my first night flight, solo.

Kimberly

The nice thing about staying current at night is it also counts for your passenger carrying currency... Note that there is no "day" currency, really...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Two and hours returning from Savannah late this afternoon makes 4.5 for the weekend. The glider guys would have loved this afternoon but it sure made it hard on me. Oh, almost forgot I didn't have an inclination to fly into any buildings. :wink2:

I flew 1.4 today, but oddly enough I didn't realize it was 9/11 untill afterwards.

I did check for notams and TFR's though.

The nice thing about staying current at night is it also counts for your passenger carrying currency... Note that there is no "day" currency, really...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Called the briefer - not gonna happen tonight. It is rare to have a clear night, so I'll keep trying. Can't wait for my "first time" - to drive straight from work to the airport, hop in a plane, and just shoot some night landings. We have new (3 different intensities) pilot controlled lights which will be neat to test out. Heck I might even shoot over to Gnoss (a few moments away).

The POA pilot coming to CA from the East Coast may only be available after work commitments end in SF each night at 6pm in October - possible night flight over SF - gonna be awesome.

I want to be "legal" for that flight.

Kimberly

Mary and I flew with a friend to Brenham, TX for lunch today, then down the coast back to the island. It was a lovely day of remembrance, pondering that horrible day when we didn't know if we'd ever fly VFR again.

Beautiful, smooth late afternoon flight from KFCM to KPWK in the Bo with a tailwind giving us 180 kts across the ground. Played with LOP which it seemed to like! Picked up friend's daughter and took off for home watching a spectacular orange fireball sunset, followed by a couple of hours of night flight under a spectacular moon.

All in all, a perfect way to celebrate the day. We still have a lot of freedom to pursue our dreams and passions.

Last edited:
I flew commercial yesterday (9-11). Delta from Boston Logan to Florida via Atlanta. No problems no unusual delays. Each leg left on time and arrived a few minutes early. And each leg was JAM PACKED. There wasn't a single seat left.

I was gonna take a quick ride with my oldest when I went to the airport to put the camper in the hangar, but the wife insisted that I take the dog.:dunno:

Things were quiet at ONZ.

I flew 3 legs yesterday. I was originally scheduled for 5, but an out and back canceled. I ended up flying to New York and Quebec. Passengers were very calm and sedate in the morning. Not so much in the evening. Scheduling screwed up and didn't notify the crew that the departure time had moved up. Oh well nothing I can do about it if I don't get notified. The radio traffic was quieter than normal. All in all it was a nice day flying even if I would have rather spent the day with my family so we could be together on the 10th anniversary of our loss of family while together.

We flew back from Port Aransas yesterday (KRAS-KEDC-T31).
Spent my birthday Saturday lounging on the beach or sitting around the pool at Harbour Inn/Amelia's Landing. Thanks to our gracious hosts Jay and Mary.

I flew commercial yesterday (9-11). Delta from Boston Logan to Florida via Atlanta. No problems no unusual delays. Each leg left on time and arrived a few minutes early. And each leg was JAM PACKED. There wasn't a single seat left.

Talked to some others who said they flew on 9/11 - not only did they have a full flight, but they arrived to the airport early in case there were security related delays. They ended up getting a 30 minute massage at the airport since they were so early! They told me there were lots of flags everywhere but otherwise nothing was changed.

We had a Citation V Ultra in at Clow yesterday. In the name of increased security(?) the pilot was ramp checked by the FAA!

We had a Citation V Ultra in at Clow yesterday. In the name of increased security(?) the pilot was ramp checked by the FAA!

If I had received my first ramp check yesterday I would have gleefully shown the inspector my temporary pilot certificate. :D

9/11 I flew from Groton, CT KGON to Midway KMDW to Rockford, IL KRFD, and there was absolutely nothing special. In the GA world I saw no special security, and ATC were their normal professional selves.

I then flew commercial from KORD to KATL and faced the normal cattle car, sheeple environment. In this area I am still one of those that say the terrorists won. I set off the metal detector (forgot to take off my belt) and was sent to a literal plexiglass cage until a TSA person came over. She swabbed my wallet and hands (glad I hadn't been at a shooting range that day) and let me go.

Back