Who's flying tomorrow?

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Who's flying tomorrow to celebrate the fact that we still have the freedom to fly?

Who's flying tomorrow to celebrate the fact that we still have the freedom to fly?

I had planned to, but the engine's in the shop for an unexpected overhaul.

I noticed that the FAA is putting up some last minute TFRs. Might want to double check your freedom before takeoff.

I'm flying tomorrow, commercial, on American. Expecting good times from the TSA. :(

I'm going on a short cross country tomorrow. I have had a tradition since I was a student of flying on 9/11 as an f-you to the terrorists...

Me.

Maybe not far... but yeah.

We will fly on 9/11.

Of course, it's Sunday, and we try to fly every Sunday...

Hard to believe its been ten years.

Wish that I had a smoke system to test out tomorrow.

I won't be flying. (I don't think at least. I could get a call.)

Last edited:

Never thought about this... cool idea. I was looking for an excuse to fly tomorrow (like I need one). Anyone else in the SF bay area? maybe we can fly-in somewhere for a meetup?

I will be flying tomorrow. Every year we fly our County helicopter over all the 9-11 ceremonies with a 27 foot American Flag hanging below the helicopter. This is the first year in a long time I am working on 9-11 and look forward to it. I will try to get pictures of it posted here ASAP.

I will. IFR, PUW to OLM. Coming home from what I hope will be a WSU Cougar football victory later today. 10 years ago I had been up the night before getting night current. This year I'm committing an overt act of aviation because I can. Take that, enemies of freedom.

Edit - It was a great Cougar victory. Beat UNLV 59 to 7. Made sitting in that 90+ degree heat worthwhile. :D

Last edited:
I'm flying tomorrow. Commercial. To Europe. I have to say I'm really not looking forward to it. I was born and raised in NYC. I have very vivid memories of my dad dragging me down to the Battery to show me this huge pit and telling me the tallest buildings in the world would soon be built here. I was living and working on the island of Manhattan ten years ago. I lost people I knew and I saw half my local fire department die that day. I still can't get rid of the memory of the smell.

On the other hand, life goes on and while I'd prefer not to fly commercial on 9/11 I believe it's still safer than flying my single engine piston around the pattern. This last statement, FYI, is no comment on my flying abilities or lack thereof.

I'm not flying tomorrow to make a statement that terrorists won't change my life. I'm flying because I need to get somewhere and I don't think it's that risky. I hope I'm right. I'm also dreading the travel not because of the date. I'm dreading it because of the monumental hassle and suffering that go along with flying commercial these days, particularly international flying. Sadly, this is a lasting legacy of 9/11. But the TSA's lack of customer focus is only a small part. The bulk of the misery of flying today is a combination of a broken business model that commercial carriers can't seem to rid themselves of and a flying public that refuses to pay for service or safety and just looks for the lowest fare.

I am -- commercial -- American (triple digit flight Nr -- and as a PAX) to South America and from Dallas, so we're probably not on anyone's radar

We'll be heading home after an excellent trip around the Black Hills.

Tonight we're going to fly by Mt Rushmore, the Shrine to Democracy. Can't take that down with a puny airliner.

I noticed that the FAA is putting up some last minute TFRs. Might want to double check your freedom before takeoff.

I'm flying tomorrow, commercial, on American. Expecting good times from the TSA. :(

All the new ones I'm seeing are for fire fighting operations.... you seeing something else?

http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html

But yeah, ALWAYS call for TFRs before engine start, lest the FAA come down and smite thee.

I will be flying tomorrow. Every year we fly our County helicopter over all the 9-11 ceremonies with a 27 foot American Flag hanging below the helicopter. This is the first year in a long time I am working on 9-11 and look forward to it. I will try to get pictures of it posted here ASAP.

Can't wait to see your pictures.

I'm going to! I'm going to file IFR through a low level scattered layer. Get my ticket wet a bit more!

The flight school I teach part time at is celebrating its ten year anniversary tomorrow. That's right. The owners were literally at the county office picking up their business license when it all happened. Of course they were thinking "Oh ****, what did we just get ourselves into." Well ten years later with a continually expanding business and fleet, they are quite the unlikely success story.

We are having quite the party/open house and I am scheduled to give rides, so I will be in the air. If you are in the vicinity of RYY, stop by in the afternoon and get some food.

Are you going to come have lunch with PJ in Grapevine at noon?

I was going to fly, but all the rentals are in use (good sign, right?)...

Negative. Must take sister to lunch for her birthday (9/11 was a special date for us long before 2001).

Im going flying tomorrow. Not sure where i will go, just up and around because I can.

I don't know if I'm flying or not, just like on the other 9/11 when I got a call at 0430. The more things change the more they stay the same.

We were scheduled to fly by airline to a business meeting in San Francisco this week, and our return trip would have been tomorrow (9/11). But we decided to use the 172 for the trip instead, and take a couple of extra days before the meetings and work in visits with the grandkids in Phoenix and with Mrs. Pilawt's sister in Southern California. So we'll be flying the 172 home to Vancouver WA from San Francisco tomorrow, after making a wonderful grand tour all over the western states.

This is flexibility the airlines simply cannot offer.

I'm planning to wash my airplane today and go flying to shake the water off. Will probably fly around and land on some of the neighbors' runways.

Tom has a few flying lessons scheduled today.

i'll be flying, but only because the soaring is looking good and I want to make an attempt at getting back the club's 'Wood Wings' trophy

Riding shotgun with former student in his Bo to pick up his daughter in Chicago. Nice little Sunday evening flight.

I vividly remember the pain of 9/11 for aviators.

Not for me, I'll be participating in our Townships 9/11 memorial cermony, we just received a piece of steel.

Was scheduled to go on about a 2 hour flight for a fly-in. Got to the FBO and found out the plane was involved in a prop strike - broke the cam shaft. :(

Flew to Savannah yesterday and will return to LZU later today.

Will be home doing home stuff. Don't really feel like participating in any of the memorials or remembrances. I was there and saw it with my eyes, I don't have any concerns about forgetting that day.

Not for me, I'll be participating in our Townships 9/11 memorial cermony, we just received a piece of steel.

New fire station a mile up the road from me has had a black-shrouded vertical structure in front of it for the past two weeks... a little research shows it is a piece of steel from the towers, being dedicated tonight at 7:45pm in a candlelight vigil / remembrance.

Going flying after the Falcons game, my student pilot son needs to get out and practice, while his old man needs to get out and enjoy the pretty weather. I think this is the first time I have flown on 9-11. Not doing it as a type of memorial flight, but I will certainly think about that horrible day 10 years ago while I try to keep Thomas from killing us and the airplane. :hairraise:

I just spent three and a half hours on an airliner, now I'm going to spend the next five hours flying the company's plane. First time flying the East Coast in while...seems fitting.

My sister in law is flying home to ATL from Italy today, not sure I would have picked today, but she has to work tomorrow. :mad2:

Back